Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Neat things you find around the old Mines

I like to check the area for things left behind, this find was a bit unusual, but exciting!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Crap, Jim, is that dynamite??
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Wow. As that stuff gets older and it gets hotter it gets unstable. It is excelent for fishing if there are lakes around!
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
C'mon Pat, Ozz is just living every boy's dream, finding and exploring holes in the ground, stumbling across old explosives, it doesn't get any better!! However, with that being said, it reminds me of my old on-bench, (surface mine term - sorry) handling explosive days. One thing about dynamite and other blasting initiators, if that tube has any indications of leakage and you manage to get any on your hands, clean it off immediately. If you wipe your head with that hand, it will give you a headache beyond belief. Old-timers used to tell me that there was only one way to get rid of what the called the "dynamite" headache......and that was to actually eat some of the dynamite filler!! As a word of caution Ozz, if you do venture on to the wild side and decide to experiment with it, keep in mind that although it does look like a hot dog, I would not recommend preparing it on your Grill!!!! Last word of caution, old dynamite (if that indeed is what it is...waiting for the Paul Harvey "rest of the story" here Ozz) is very, very unstable. As always, be careful out there Ozz!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Looks like a old road flar to me Ozz.LOL When I was carrying my tools, I took about 5 or 6 of the old red flars and taped a old alarm clock to it and some wires making it look real, for a joke to a friend, but now if a person was to do that they would they would probably end up in jail. no more fun and jokes allowed in this generation.
don
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hopefully he will fess up Don, I think a couple of wet noodle floggings may be in order here! Ozz is either one of the MOC's best pranksters, or he has been in the desert too long and is getting delusional. C'mon Ozz, give us the "rest of the story!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well.... even I, am not that crazy. Almost, probably borderline, but not quite.
Yepper, Flare. But it actually looks like some old sticks looked like. I am waiting to find an open vertical, I will throw it in and run like hell...
Mo Mines:

and yes, I walked across the plank..

Old 03-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Thought it looked like a fusee.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

http://www.azoffroad.net/#/tonopah-b...ine/4542454498
Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you light it and toss it down a vertical, better do it early in the morning. By afternoon I don't think you can run fast enough if there's methane down there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Ozz, if you happen to run across a cylinder that is between 1' and 1 1/4" that is wrapped in paper the color of old manila foldersand appears to be sweating, leave it alone! Here is a little information about the different types of dynamite that has been used.

1. Straight Dynamite - Nitroglycerin in an absorbent, with velocities between 10,000 and 20,000 feet per second. This dynamite is the most sensitive of all commercial explosives. The weight strength is the actual percentage of nitroglycerin in the cartridge. This explosive has poor fumes, good water resistance, and poor cohesion.
2. Ammonia Dynamite - This is similar to straight dynamite except that ammonium and/or sodium nitrate and various carbonaceous fuels are substituted for a portion of the nitroglycerin. There are three subclasses of ammonia dynamite:
High Density: This product has a detonation velocity of 8000 to 13,000 feet per second, good water resistance, and fair to good fumes. Low Density: This product has detonation velocities between 7,000 and 11,000 feet per second, fair to good fumes and fair to poor water resistance.
Permissible Types: These products are similar to the low- density ammonia dynamites except that they contain cooling salts such as sodium chloride. Permissibles must be approved by the U.S. Bureau of Mines under specified conditions of usage. This material usually has good fumes and fair to poor water resistance.
3. Gelatin Dynamite - Contains nitroglycerin gelled with nitrocellulose, and various absorbent filler materials. Forms a soupy to rubber-like mixture which is water-resistant.
(a) Straight Gelatin - Has a detonation velocity of 13,000 to 23,000 feet per second. Varieties with strength rating above 60 percent have poor fume characteristics. Water resistance is excellent and material is very cohesive.
(b) Ammonia or Special Gelatins - Similar in composition to straight gelatin except that some of the
nitroglycerin is replaced with ammonium and sodium nitrates and carbonaceous fuels. Has a detonation
velocity between 10,000 and 23,000 feet per second. Water resistance is good.
4. Semi-gelatin Dynamite - A combination of ammonia gelatin and ammonia dynamite, with lower strength than gelatin, yet has good water resistance. Velocities between 10,000 and 15,000 feet per second.

Any dynamite used by the military today will be the ammonia based type. It isn't as powerful but is a lot safer than nitro-base dynamite.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Sue, I can give you the number of a life insurance salesman over in Trenton that will write a policy over the phone if you do a pinky-swear that Jim is in excellent health...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ozz, why don't you create a geocache with that "flare"? Hopefully, I never find it, otherwise I am up to date on my insurance.

Regards,
Art
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bingo and Brad, very interesting stuff about Dynamite! I just thought the stuff was all the same, I do remember that it sweats and that sweat is the nitroglycerin, or at least the old movies portrayed it as such.
Art, interesting idea, but as stated, now-days you have to be careful what kind of pranks a guy pulls.
Pat, I will pass your post on to Sue, with some of the hiking I have done alone around here, she may just need it.
You folks are a fun bunch on the Fourm, it's good to have friends to joke with.