Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #41
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Devildog

Probably will go with the dually. Test driving the new dodge on Saturday. Pin weight on the 3295 at factory shows 2500 lbs. One of the heavier pin weights in that model year.
...and the factory pin weights are always very light.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #42
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Wanted to update this thread. After looking at all three, drivig all of them, and looking at all factors, I bought the 3500 Ram Laramie Longhorn in DRW. Has all options that could be had, hust have to get the fifth wheel hitch rails installed to have it ready for towing. First day with it today, after work. I want to thank all who replied with their honest assesments of their own vehicles.
My wife cried when we left our GMC 2500 at the dealer. But after 11 years, it was time for a change.
Also, thanks to John Kohl for his pm that gave some more information. If you see a deep molten red pearl with a Marine Corps tag out on the road around Chattanooga, wave.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #43
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations on your purchase! We now have 83k miles on our Ram Cummins, about 38k of that towing. We are very, very pleased with both how this truck tows this Montana and how trouble free it has been. We don't plan on trading trucks but, if we do, it most likely would be another Ram. Good luck with yours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #44
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Congrats on that nice truck upgrade. Our previous TV was a Ram Cummins and it certainly served us well!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #45
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Enjoy your new truck!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #46
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

The DEF is not bad. You get better fuel mileage to more than make up the cost, and something most people don't know about. All three have about the same amount of torque, 800 pound feet. On a dino the Ford and Chevy have about 690 pound feet of TK at the rear wheel. On the same dino the Dodge has 560. The Ford and Chevy rely on DEF to reduce the NoX emisions while the Dodge uses exhaust gas recirculation to reduce combustion temperature and the reduced temperature reduces the NoX emissions.
Lynwood
If those torque numbers are from the article I remember, the Ram engine was the older one, not the one advertised at 800 lb/ft like the others. Mine is the older, 2007 Cummins, advertised at 650 lb/ft. I've not seen a similar comparison using the newer Cummins model.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #47
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
It is showing as the 800 ft/lbs engine. Two weeks now and only broke 600 miles. Engine and tranny are solid, and smooth. It surprisdd me that the first 360 miles on the new engine showed mpg to be at 14.48 hand figured. Hitch rails are going in next weekend, so first tow is next couple of weeks.
Putting wax on it today. First weekend without rain since I bought it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #48
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Congratulations "JARHEAD". Enjoy the new truck.
Looking forward to future reports.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The manual on mine says to not exceed 50 mph for the first 500 miles of towing (not necessarily the first 500 miles on the truck) so the differential properly breaks in. I think we managed to do that for about 465 miles before deciding that's close enough. I think the diff has synthetic in it. Mine is a 2007 so yours may be different.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #50
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Mine said the same thing. But after 500 miles, tow away!
What has been your experience with the exhaust brake? It was one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade. What hints do you have for it's use.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #51
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283

Posted - Jan 29 2012 : 12:21:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mlh

The DEF is not bad. You get better fuel mileage to more than make up the cost, and something most people don't know about. All three have about the same amount of torque, 800 pound feet. On a dino the Ford and Chevy have about 690 pound feet of TK at the rear wheel. On the same dino the Dodge has 560. The Ford and Chevy rely on DEF to reduce the NoX emisions while the Dodge uses exhaust gas recirculation to reduce combustion temperature and the reduced temperature reduces the NoX emissions.
Lynwood

Thanks Steve you are wright, my misstate. I,m glad you caught that.

Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #52
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Devildog

Mine said the same thing. But after 500 miles, tow away!
What has been your experience with the exhaust brake? It was one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade. What hints do you have for it's use.
I use the exhaust brake any time I'm towing. I just turn it on and leave it. If you shut the engine off you'll have to turn the exhaust brake on again when you restart.

I sometimes use it when not towing if we're going down long hills but maybe not gaining speed enough for the transmission to downshift. Or if it's not been used in awhile I may just turn it on when on the highway and coming to a stop, just to save a little on the brakes.

Our selling dealer told me if I haven't used it in a couple of months to turn it on and off a couple of times to activate the slider on the turbo shaft so it doesn't get carboned up. With 83k miles on ours we've never had a problem with it and I do as he suggested.

With our rig, with both tow/haul and the exhaust brake turned on, any downhill grade less than 5% it will slow the rig down too much and I have to give it a little throttle.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #53
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run the exhaust brake when running at highway speeds - especially helps when backing down the off ramp from 80mph. Every once and awhile I run the manual shift mode along with the exhaust brake to really brings things to a quick stop. Like Steve, my dealer told me to run the exhaust brake every now and then to keep things working properly. I admit I did not run the 50 mph for the first 500 miles. My truck had 10,000 miles on it before I put the coach back there and pulled the first trip in the 62/65mph range. I guess time will tell if that decision comes back to haunt me or not...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #54
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
i didnt run the 50 mile an hour either, but I didn't goose it from a dead start either. Owners manual said engine didn't need much break in, and needed to run, but don't overdo it at the start. Said to get on it while running down the interstate, to help break it in, but don't stand on it from the line until after 500. Makes sense, I normally don't abuse one anyway. Too busy playing with all the buttons.
I have read on the diesel sites, that leaving the brake on will reduce warm up time, and possibly help with the dpf cleaning (never heard that before). Normal warm up here in Chattanooga doesn't take more than a minute or two, then drive it like I own it, not like I stole it. I have a 14 mile trip to my post office, with about the first 8 miles on roads that are 40 MPH or less, and the last 6 at 55. Once or twice a week, I run the interstate just to get a little speed and heat in it. Same as I did with my 01 Duramax without the DPF.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #55
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I run my 03 with the exhaust brake active most the time. It does help reduce engine warm up and will shut off at idle once the engine reaches 120 or some preset temp.
When driving I use the exhaust brake most the time. It helps slow me down without using brakes (only bad part is tail gaiters don't have any warning you are slowing more than normal). I did correct that issue with an LED light bar wired on the exhaust solenoid but that is a different post. Since the exhaust brake butterfly valve is in the exhaust system I feel using it is better than letting it cake up with soot etc.
Enjoy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #56
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
here's some good info on the three transmissions:
http://www.big3diesel.com/6r140-allison-68re.html

and a good big 3 comparison article:
http://jdavis88.hubpages.com/hub/A-S...-Diesel-Trucks

i think that you'll find with enough research that dependability reputation on all three trucks is corrupted due to failures caused by abuse/tuning and improper maintenance and bad fuel. ford has become a favored truck for those wanting to do modifications. the new fuel systems are very sensitive to wet and dirty fuel and must have maintenance performed flawlessly. using fuel from equipment tanks or your brother's farm tanks, will destroy these engines.

I am currently at 30K miles, tow a 13k 2955rl when loaded, and have done nothing beyond routine maintenance (at the dealer). mine is an F250, 3.73 gears, CC, 6.75' box, with a 16k super glide. this rig has been a joy on the road and in the campgrounds. i can get 11mpg in SE USA at 65mph. mountain grades are a different story... 17-18 unloaded if i keep it at 65mph

also take a good look at the spring packs, shacles, bolts, radius arms and other suspension components. i was impressed with ford

I personally chose the 2009 Ford because I thought that the engine was Navistar's
effort to regain reputation after the 6.0 difficulties. The 6.4 is currently still used in International mid duty trucks.

emissions regulations have required complex changes to all three and i think that all three have just about figured it out.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #57
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
...and BTW, don't let cab-off repair on Ford effect your decision, this actually reduces shop hours.
cab and all connections were designed to ease this process
if you ever get to see a 2008+ Ford in the shop w/cab off, you'll understand why
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...161068.520.390
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #58
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
The links would have been better if they weren't dated. Dodge high output engines came out last year and dated at 400 hp and 800 torque.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #59
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think they're all good trucks and all will do the job. I had Fords for years and loved them. And last purchase, I seriously considered a GMC. But I kept coming back to the Dodge during my multiple test drives. I really have fallen in love with how this Dodge tows this Montana, as well as it having given me no problems in 83,000 miles. Well, they did replace my early design turbo with the newer design at 13,000 miles when the check engine light came on. Since then it's been trouble free.

Dave, I don't often use the tap down/up to change gears but sometimes when solo I'll turn on tow/haul as well as the exhaust brake, especially in mountainous country with lots of downgrades. The problem is, as was noted, when solo that combination really slows me down quickly and tailgaters get caught by surprise. Which is exactly why sometimes I do it on purpose, with one foot on the accelerator just in case their nose doesn't suddenly dip. Brings a nice smile to my face. I detest tailgaters. That's just pure stupidity in my opinion.

The transmission has been trouble free, also. I did have the fluid changed at 66k miles. It has synthetic in it. I had it fully drained, not just flushing it out with the new fluid. And I had both filters changed at the same time. It's a very smart transmission as to when to shift and has given me no problems so far. Those things can always change, of course.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #60
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Congrats on the truck. As stated, any of the three is up to the task, just maintain carefully!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote