Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
BillR48
Established Member

M.O.C. #11151
Winterizing issue

- Drained hot water tank.
- Drained fresh water tank.
- Set hot water tank by pass valve to ON.
- Set Winterize valve to ON.
- Attached hose, 24” to winterize connection and placed other end in 1 gal RV antifreeze container.
- Turned on water pump, pump did go on.
- Proceeded to open cold water faucet in bathroom.
- Some remaining water in line disbursed but no antifreeze.
- Continued this process for several minutes, even turned winterize valve to Off then back to On with no success.
- Called Keystone and talked with tech and they determined this was the correct process. Did not know why it was not working.
- Still unable to siphon antifreeze through pump
- Checked behind utility compartment and everything was attached and no leaks.
- Any ideas as to what is going on?

BillR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If this was a check list first would be turn off hot water switch outside.

Ref anti freeze not being drawn into pump. The connection where you screwed on the 24" hose for jug has a back pressure check valve. That would be the first thing I would check. I suggest you put a water hose on the winterize connection and apply water pressure to see if you can loosen up the check valve. You should know by opening one of the drain points right there in the convince center to see if water flows.
If that don't work then I guess it would be disassemble time to replace that check valve connection.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I know it’s getting close to that time but I don’t want to think about it!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Did the pump not run at all? It should run even if not sucking antifreeze.

I learned on my rig that I had to prime (fill) the hose with antifreeze and that worked. Just did it again this year the same way. Also, good to have faucet open to allow pump to suck antifreeze.

When you get it going, don't forget the P-traps, toilet and low point drains. Also, I blow out the black tank connection, No real good way to get antifreeze in it. I also let some antifreeze go into the holding tanks even though I leave them open to air out all winter.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Besides exercising the check valve ... due to the design, I have to use 2 hose washers when I hook the siphon line to the fiver. Just one washer lets enough air in that the pump never picks up the antifreeze.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
we let ours build pressure first before opening and faucets. maybe that would work
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On a new rig I think the double washer will do the trick. If all else fails, pour the antifreeze into the fresh water tank (after draining with the low point drain beneath the camper - not the two in the convenience center), then use the pump to winterize the lines with the antifreeze as it draws from the fresh water tank. Of course if you do use the fresh water tank next year, you will have to go through a disinfecting process with bleach. I think Dieselguy has the solution though.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Does the water pump pump water from the fresh water tank? Be sure the pump is working. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Experienced the same problem twice:
1. 1st time it was a poor connection on the anti-freeze line. I was using a quick connect fitting. Took it off re-connected and the siphon started
2. 2nd time I had to play with the valve changing from fresh water to winterizing.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
x2 on the double washer fix.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #11
BillR48
Established Member

M.O.C. #11151
Thanks for your help. I have no problem with the pump it is running. I will make sure hot water heater switch is turned off outside. When I initially turned on water pump and opened cold water faucet residual water in line did pump out so I know pump is working. I will try the double washer suggestion and prime siphen hose. Will let you know what happens.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I had the same problem last year. A new washer on the connection solved the problem. If there is even the smallest leak at the connection the antifreeze will not be drawn in.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
After watching the video on the Keystone website, I learned to open the washer connections and add antifreeze to washer p-trap also. Winterizing is on my to-do list this morning.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Got it winterized without issues. I did have double the washer on the winterizing valve for the pump to pull the antifreeze up the hose. Something else to remember to do after getting all of the lines full of antifreeze is to release the pressure behind the needle valve on the city water connection. I open a faucet in the trailer with the pump off to release the pressure in the lines. Then remove the screened washer from the city water connection. There is a spring loaded one way valve. Push in on the white center plastic valve stem until you see antifreeze to flush the water from the valve.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It is also beneficial to either blow out or pink treat the black flush as well. I do it with the convenience center faucet hooked to the black flush when the antifreeze is being sucked out. That kills two birds with one stone, winterizes the outdoor faucet and the black flush (turn both the hot and cold on at the outdoor faucet). Just a suggestion.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
BillR48
Established Member

M.O.C. #11151
Added a second washer to winterize valve and all is well. Pump siphoned up antifreeze and proceeded to open all faucets both hot and cold. Need to do the black tank flush next. Will do tomorrow. Thanks again for all the great information. Leaving for Tampa area Oct. 25th for six months but wanted to winterize unit just in case. Wisconsin can get cold in late October.