Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Dual-pane windows

Hello,

Just thought I would get some input on the windows. I've had two dealers recently try to talk me out of them. They say they'll order them, but don't order them in for their lot models because people don't want them. I get the weight issue, one said it makes it so you lose some window openings, and the ones left don't open as far as the single-pane windows?? No gas between the panes. Was told the Arctic Insulation Package takes it to zero degrees and that's without the dual panes?? To me, roughly speaking two pieces of the same material would at least be more insulating, if not double, close to it? I was also hoping too they would help at least a little with noise reduction. At $1385, not a cheap option so thougt I would see what others have experienced. Thanks much for any advice!

Greg

EDIT we will be ordering unit, not buying off the lot so interesting that dealers comments were even if ordering they were advising not to get them...

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My impression is the dealer is trying to sell what he has on his lot.
I have dual pane and would order again. What he said is true about them but they do not fog up and I feel provide more insulation.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Would never go back to single pane.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We them and would not be without them. If they don't want to order them there is always some dealer that will. You could check with Tacoma RV they are suppose to be real good to deal with. You could ask Zman08. They just bought one from them.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I have dual pane and would order again. What he said is true about them but they do not fog up and I feel provide more insulation.
I thought the order thing too, but forgot to mention we are ordering anyway because we are looking at the Big Sky which is order only. So it is true that the windows don't open as far as the single-pane?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
We purchased this unit from VT and they bring in all thier Montanas with the dual glass. Like others, I would have them again. In the cold weather they don't radiate cold, nor do they sweat, plus they help reduce noise.
Minuses are smaller operable windows, and a lighter tinted glass.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

We them and would not be without them. If they don't want to order them there is always some dealer that will. You could check with Tacoma RV they are suppose to be real good to deal with. You could ask Zman08. They just bought one from them.
Thanks hookman, I'll try to find out who Zman used and call Tacoma.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree, he is trying to sell what is on his lot. Our first Montana did not have them and this one does. It helps with the noise and they don't sweat inside. We would not purchase a unit without them.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
They buy the cheaper units without dual pane then try to sell from the lot.

I have single pane and have RVed in the cold and the heat - We rarely end up in the right climate to just open windows so our interior uses climate control A LOT. Next time it's dual pane because the weight difference is too small to worry about and the cost is returned from using less propane or less wear and tear on the A/Cs. This is a no-brainer. I wish I had thought about these BEFORE we bought our Monty.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I ordered mine with dual panes as the plus of less radiant heat, little window sweating in winter, and noticably less noise surpass the down side of lighter tint, smaller window openings, and a tad more weight. As for the Artic Insulation Package allowing you to use the fiver down to zero degrees ... I have some swamp land up in Utah I'd like to sell along with that claim The Artic package is nothing more than 8' wide 1/4" thick quilted foil with little air pockets in it laid on top of the belly pan.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I thought the order thing too, but forgot to mention we are ordering anyway because we are looking at the Big Sky which is order only. So it is true that the windows don't open as far as the single-pane?

Thanks for the reply!
Yes opening access is about half what you get with single pane windows. Where the single pane have a bottom portion that cranks out the dual pane have half of on side that slides side ways to allow in air.
Since you are ordering I do not understand why they are trying to talk you out of dual pane.
Best of luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thank you all for your comments, much apprciated. Sounds like you all support what I thought which was get them. We just visited another dealer. He said a definite must have, and that they are gas filled (other dealer said no) and they definitely help with climate and sound. Said of course to get them especially since we're ordering anyway and getting the Big Sky with the other options we want.

Appreciate you all taking the time to comment!!

Greg & Kris
Old 08-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
At the Spring rally in '09, Tucson AZ, Charles Wade, the western rep for Keystone stated the dual panes add less than .2 R rating to the trailers with them and was rather irate at the dealers that stated differently. He claims the only thing they are good for is sound buffering. I list this for what it's worth. I don't think I have them.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We don't have the dual pane windows but really would like to have them.

In all deference to Mr. Wade I'll bet the windows do provide a little additional insulation. I know they do definitely dampen the sound. And if they help cut down on the window "sweating" that is another plus.

Phil I believe the Tucson Rally was in '08. But I'm getting on up there in years and my CRS acts up all the time.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

... they are gas filled (other dealer said no) ....
I would recommend you further investigate the "gas filled" claim. I have had two different Montana representatives (not dealers) tell me they are not. As Phil stated earlier, the windows add little to no R value. They do block noise and sweat less that the standard windows. Dealers are notoriously uninformed. Call the vendor and see what they say. You want to be sure you get what you think you should. It is your $$, ensure you get full value.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #16
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
My dual panes are at least sealed if not gassed. You can see the metal seal between the panes all the way around the glass. I also have two with leaking seals. They fog up and did not used to. Individual windows are expensive to replace but I would by the option on a new rig again.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
They are filled with an inert dry gas, such as Nitrogen, maybe argon. They do this for dryness
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thank you all for the additional comments! Now even more confused

I had heard about the dual panes possibly losing the seal and fogging up or getting cloudy, that would be a definite downside. The one dealer said it was Argon I believe. But some of you said reps had said no gas?? Someone mentioned contacting the manufacturer, do we actually know who they source the windows from??

Thanks again!

Greg
Old 08-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
All dual pane windows can and sometimes do lose their seal and the gas escapes. We had several old plate glass windows at our store lose theirs due to the vibrations caused by heavy trucks passing by on the street (didn't help when KDOT left a foot and a half drop off there for two weeks once). Moisture can then get between the panes and fog them that way. Of course with the bouncing our rigs can take the risk of a leak is greater with our 5rs than any stick home. That being said we have them on our Montana and if they fail we will replace them with dual panes again.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
Buckeye Mike
Established Member

M.O.C. #11350
This is the second unit with dual pane windows that I've had and wouldn't be without them. I prevously had a Jayco and they used HERR brand. Seems to me that I seen on some of the paperwork from the dealer about the warranty on all components that the windows were made by Napanee Window of Napanee ,In..That's not the right spelling but that will get you close. I have never had a problem with for or leaking, but last year in Az. there was person that would repair them for you.Pay the price and don't look back,you'll be glad you did
Buckeye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote