Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
Black Tank Flush appears to be clogged

While flushing the black tank today it drained properly. I hooked up the hose for the black tank flush that I have used before and have plenty of water pressure, but I can hear no water flowing into the tank like I have before. Any ideas anyone? Possible clog?

kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
As new as your unit is I doubt that anything is clogged. It is probably you check valve in the flush line. It is under the lavatory sink on my unit but I believe it is behind the shower in the 3400. Jim
Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Same issue many of us have. Be careful, water is probably pouring into you kitchen or basement somewhere. There is a valve that may need to be hit with some silicone or replaced if it has failed. On my 2009 3400 it is located beteween the kitchen cupboard and the shower wall - where the sliding door goes into the wall. Pull the door all the way out, push it forward a bit, and look back there with a light. If you see a clear plastic valve, you have found the most likely culprit. Have someone run on the water hooked up to the flush and see if you see water leaking out. Even if it doesn't leak, you may want to check that valve. Unfortuantely, if you don't have an acces panel in the cupboard, you have to cut one. Keystone told me they would send matching panel so I could make my own access panel.

If it is not there, look under the bathroom sink.

Good luck.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
On my 2006 3400Rl, the check valve is behind the pantry. There is a panel with a hole behind. I was able to reach into the hole and I "thumped" the check valve and that took care of my problem. It has not stuck since, 3 2 or 3 years now.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
found the check valve and saw a few drips. it is behind the shower as Butch said. No access panel, but sounds like a little project for next week's vacation to make the access panel and some repair or replacement on the valve.

strange that they would put that valve up there where a: you can't get to it, and b: looks like its only hooked to the black tank flush line. they could have made it much more accessible down in the maintance area.

thanks for the replies. this is what makes this forum shine

Alan
Old 06-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
My valve broke second trip out and flooded the living room, had it repaired under warranty and bought a spare. Haven't used it since. When we dump, I then refill again and dump the second time. Don't want to fool with the check valve again.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Alan,

I can give you the name and number of the very helpful lady at Keystone who I talked to. She offered to send me matching panel of whatever size I needed to cover the hole I will cut in the pantry.

Yes, very lousy design. Who looks at these plans and says "yep, that makes perfect sense"? I can't even fathom how little they must know about designing these things for teh customer.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Amazing isn't it? It isn't like they don't know about the problem...
If I were king of Keystone, I'd be listening to my customers VERY carefully and improving my product to further enhance sales and customer satisfaction.
----- Interestingly enough, I just received in the mail today a letter from the VP of Fantastic vent, Lorin A. Milks, thanking me for my business and soliciting any ideas that I may have to improve their product. I was also asked to contact them directly if had any problems or concerns regarding their product. What a concept! I foresee Fantastic vent being in business for a long time. Keystone, are you listening?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

Alan,
Yes, very lousy design. Who looks at these plans and says "yep, that makes perfect sense"? I can't even fathom how little they must know about designing these things for the customer.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

Alan,

I can give you the name and number of the very helpful lady at Keystone who I talked to. She offered to send me matching panel of whatever size I needed to cover the hole I will cut in the pantry.
That would be great Butch. Either post it here or PM me.

Alan
Old 06-19-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I would appreciate getting the contact information from Keystone also.

Thanks.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We replaced ours which is also between the kitchen cupboard and shower by measuring about 10 times and then cutting a hole in the back of the cupboard. Then, I used the plastic cover from the hot water heater (they are all the same) to cover the hole after I replaced the anti-siphon valve. I then asked Keystone for another plastic cover which they provided when I was at the service center.

As for the reason it is put up so high, I am under the belief that it is so that there is no chance of bacteria from the black tank flowing up to the valve. Of course it could have been put under the bedroom sink where it would have been easier to get to and would probably be as safe...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I did not hear water running in my rig I crimped and released the hose a couple times. I think it "socked" it into working. (FYI)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Isn't there a height requirement for these check valves? They need to be at a "high" point in order to work. I don't know this as fact just something I've heard somewhere. Anyone with "real" knowledge can easily correct this info. Regardless whether this is true or not Keystone could have placed these valves in a reasonable location. Behind / inside a wall is NOT an appropriate location! Thanks, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
Hi: We just picked up our new Big Sky 3700 and it seems that no water is going past the black flush inlet valve.It just backs right up there. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so any ideas on things to check?

Ray ksboy
ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
If the water is spraying out from the hose connection to the black tank flush in the convenience center you might try to place another "hose" rubber washer in the black tank connection. I did that on our new 2011 3400RL and it solved the problem. Someone on this forum recommended that. Now if you have water coming out the bottom of the camper when flushing the black tank, the check valve is probably the problem. Had that also and camper is in the shop now for that. Two commmon problems. The joys of breaking in a new camper. I think you also have problems with the two zone thermostat. Our zone 2 A/C (bedroom) compressor was not hooked up from the factory! Noticed that in Tucson luckily it was in February.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I located the anti-syphon valve, measured numerous times and cut an access opening about 10" x 10". I had picked up a spare anti-syphon valve while at the Montana Fall Rally last year. The valve is all brass is appears much more heavy duty then the clear plastic one that came with the Montana. I glued and screwed a thin piece of wood around the interior of the hole then screwed in the piece I had previously removed. The plastic valve assemblies will not last that long, in my opinion. I verified everything was flowing in the correct position, then installed the access door.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
As I am typing this I am "knocking on wood"-ours (granted I've only used it once-so far)has worked just like a charm!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Does anyone know where it is located, in the 3485SA. Mine has been out since 2008 and I bought a toilet wand from wally world works, just take longer to move it up and down. I would like to fix it in case we trade up or sell to get a newer model 2013. Thanks
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
MBeaubien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11424
I now have the same problem, no water going into the black tank when trying to flush it after dumping. I tried the crimping hose thing and no luck. Looked behind the sliding door and mine seems to be brass located to the right of the shower faucet panel if I removed the shower faucets, probably too far too reach if I remove the faucets. I will try to find a long yardstick or ? to thump it a few times in the morning. Where can I get another (upgraded) anti-siphon valve ? I guess I will be cutting the pantry panel to access it and getting a hold of Keystone to see if they will send me a piece of panel to cover the hole.
MBeaubien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #20
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I had the same problem last month. Now it is working again but does not appear to be spraying very much water now
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote