Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #41
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
And I thought I knew what the the white smoke was. It's the new Pope Mobile. I got it.
And you Chevy guys thought your trucks were so hot. Eat your hearts out. They might get up a mountain a little quicker but will they really get you whear you would like to wind up at? I doubt it.
Just a little humor.
Lynwood

mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Interesting subject of warranty coverage and it is difficult to be exactly right. Had a long conversation with the Local Ford dealer this morning that turned into a round table discussion on the subject of contaminated fluids. Also got a E mail back from the service manager at our local Home Ford dealer who is a friend of mine. So here is a general wrap up.Don't have to agree with it or even like it.

mlh is correct and his referenced links state Ford policy... To be short..it is not Fords fault that you got contaminated fuel at a fuel station. Ford or any other brand does not warranty Flying J's fuel. It is the responsibility and the fault of the fuel station.

Example//you are in a accident that destroys your radiator..Ford warranty does not cover it. Not their fault. There have been many cases of putting gas into the diesel tank. That is contaminated fuel.. Ford warranty does not cover that.I remember of a case on a forum were the handle was improperly marked and gas was put into the diesel tank causing a big bill. Ford did not pay for the repair.(the station did)

The local Ford dealer said that a catastrophic failure caused by say my example of 30 gal of bad fuel on a one time basses was extremely rare and they could not remember such a case. Cases of the owner pumping gas in diesel is not rare but is unlikely to cause a catastrophic failure IF quickly addressed.

Both dealers had seen Ford refuse warranty on Contaminated fuel but in every case was the fault of the owner//IE: using improper fuel, using home blends improper maint and that is primarly what the Ford rep is looking for. Both dealers said about the same thing and if you think about it makes sense. So the Hi pressure fuel pump is covered if it is a failure of the pump itself but not if caused by a outside source such as bad fuel.

Both dealers had seen many cases of the High Pressure Fuel pump and other fuel delivery items replaced under warranty for failures/

This has caused me to re examine what I do. I do fuel at high volume stations regardless of price. I do keep receipts to track expense so I would know where I got the bad fuel. If contaminated fuel or fluids is suspected in a failure do not continue to drive it and tell the dealer to have the suspected fluid analyzed to determine the contamination and hope that you have receipt as to where you got it and notify them ASAP.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #43
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks Rich. I have seen cases of the HPFP being ruined bu dirty fuel and the gas station or oil company paying for the repair. They probably did not know the repair would be $8000. Keep those receipts, only fill up at a station that pumps a lot of fuel and don't fill up while the fuel truck is pumping fuel in the tank, that stirs up sediment.
These are extremely fragile pumps. Idling they are holding over 5000 psi, on a normal take off fuel pressure will exceed 17000 pounds and thats without a camper. With a Monty hooked up on a hard pull they will be holding 245000+ pounds. I have a warning set at 270000 pounds and it went off one time. Most center fire rifles only develop about 500000 pounds, or less.
Lynwood
Old 11-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #44
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,

Your 100% right, I am in the process of unloading this truck right now. The performance is unacceptable, but Ford is too focused on promoting their new 6.7L and brand image than they are in fixing current owners problems with the 6.4L. I know I am one of 4 owners in my local area that are experiencing the same trouble. Ford wont do anything except say they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. This was my first and now last Ford I will ever buy.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are several cases of the 6.4L doing exactly what yours is doing. It is not common but it is there. As I said my V-10 did about as good as you are doing. Dennis on this Forum has a6.4L that does the same thing yet mine and most others do not.. I would get rid of it also if Ford will not or can not fix it. It can happen with any brand unfortunately it happened to you and it is not good PR for Ford.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #46
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Just picked up truck from the dealer that was in for driveline noise that they hear but cannot find. Ford says if they can't find it then it is "normal". I say it's not but they are right and I'm not. My last Ford also.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #47
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
tbhd2
What does this sound like? There has been a ticking noise reported usually after an oil change. Chevy had the same noise starting a few years ago. Any diesel can have it if it is quiet enough to be heard, and if this is the sound you have heard it is normal. All Ford trucks I have owned have a rattling noise in the drive train you suddenly let off of the accelerator after you have been accelerating . The more throttle you you give it the louder the noise. Again no problem.
Lynwood
Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #48
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dennis,
I've not experienced that one yet - the newest problem mine is having is through the regen process. I had the cruise set at 80 mph and had driven a hefty 380 miles nonstop when the info center started flashing at me stating to continue driving for regen cleaning. I'M DOING 80 MPH AND THE TRUCK IS TELLING ME TO CONTINUE DRIVING. This only happened once before when i was in town and had put the truck in park during a regen cycle. I took the truck back to Ford had they re-flashed the computer AGAIN. Now it will go in and out of the regeneration mode every 10-20 miles for roughly 45 seconds than says regen complete. Now Ford shop is telling me this is normal. Sadly I don't think Ford has the slightest clue as to what is going on with this truck or why I'm experiencing so many problems. I cannot wait to get back behind the wheel of my new Duramax! Should never have left Chevy to begin with.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Holy moley Dave....cruse set at 80mph.....no wonder the MPG sucks. Ford and others will advise you not to interupt the regen cycle.When I interupted mine it did much the same as yours after a reflash.
When mine was reflashed some time ago the regen cycles were erratic for awhile then settled down to every 500 miles or so.

Don't be surprised if the new Chevy does the same thing..
Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #50
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Just talked to a fellow in Utah and his new Duxamax filter system plugged up because of a faulty regen up to the turbos at 6000 miles; he was not a happy camper; so in reality if there is no indication showing you what's happening; heck one will never know until it goes into limp mode. Ford or Chevy; doesn't matter; they all have their problems. All one has to do is talk to the big truck shops and listen to their horror stories with the dpf regen systems. Still very happy with my 09 and it has pulled very well under some ultra heavy loads; then again I have no filter or regen.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #51
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
You and I had talked last year when I first got this Ford regarding the frequency of the regen cycles and how it seemed to be in Regen more than it was out of regen. After I had roughly 10k on the odometer, your right, the frequency became far less frequent - averaged a regen even 700-900 miles or so. Since the last update, it is now doing a regen cycle every 20 miles or so and the regen cycle will last approx 45-60 seconds. After that the dash will say exhaust cleaning complete. Every 20 miles is not acceptable. I buy my fuel from large volume top tier fuel stations and this little "game" as I now call it will happen no matter where I buy my fuel. As for rolling at 80 mph, that is how we drive out west - speed limit is 75 mph. 80 is my empty speed - I tow my coach at 66-68 mph and my horse/stock trailers at 70 - 74 mph. It does not matter if I cruise along at 60 or at 80, this truck will only average 12-12.8 mpg empty. Giving up 1/2 mpg is not worth losing 20 mph when I average 13-15 hours per day. I've run all my Duramax's at this speed since 2002 and they consistently averaged 20-21 mpg. I realize the new EPA laws have destroyed fuel economy, but as you previously stated in one of your posts, the symptoms and trouble I am experiencing is not normal and I need to unload this truck pronto. I am just disappointed that I put 34,000 miles on this thing in 13 months. I need my new Duramax to come in before I hit 36,000 or I'll take a further bath on trade in. I'm glad to see that many 6.4L owners are having better luck with their trucks - I do wish I was one of them.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:31 AM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a after market gage and we monitor EGT. We rarely see the "cleaning exaust filter msg" as it now only comes on for a few seconds but the Regen is clearly seen on the EGT as the temps increase my 300/400 degrees. Our regens are 400/500 miles apart.

At 70ph solo my MPG will be about 13 at 80 about 11 however at 60/62 it will average @ 16/17.

Both you and Dennis have trucks with serious issues and I would also dump the truck . Hope you have better luck with the Duramax but these samme issue are reported on those forums with the new motors.

Actually my choice of Motor would have been the duramax but we live in Ford country and we have many friends who can share the Ford plan discounts. For thousands of $$ in savings I care not what badge is on my truck... However in your case..not worth keeping.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 AM   #53
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Montana Sky
You live out west you know better than I. I get off of I80 in Wyoming head north and for 75 miles there isn't even a house. This is on a 2 lane road, the cows are laying on the white line. Its open range. I pull my camper at 80. I know Rich you would NOT wont to meet me on the road, But there is not much chance of that there isn't any body on the road.

Montana Sky I have followed this with great interest. Did any body ever check the temperature sensors on the exhaust. You said they kept recalibrating it. how mane times would they haft to recalibrate it before a little light came on and somebody decided, Hay this may not be the problem. Have you looked into a buy back from Ford? You may be entailed.
Lynwood
Old 11-27-2010, 06:09 AM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We pulled across Texas where the speed limit was 80 and most were doing 90. I just do not feel comfortable pulling the TV /RV combo at 80 mph. I would run 80 all day solo and care not about the MPG but not with the 3400 back there. I many cases in would exceed the tire rating by a lot and I don't think these RV's were ever designed to run that fast.

The thing is Dave indicates that his truck get the same MPG at 60 or 80..that is trouble. and Ford should be able to correct that.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #55
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Come on Rich I thought for sure I would at least get a HOLY MOLEY. Just having a little fun. I really don't have the luxury of driving 250 miles a day. When I go to Wyoming its a 5000 mile trip and I have 3 weeks. Thats 20 days of traveling 250 miles a day. So I, lets say, push the speed limit, when ever I feel it's safe. One day doesn't give me much time to hunt and trout fish.
Lynwood
Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #56
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lynwood,

I have had many discussions with Ford Customer Care and to keep from having this thread become a bashing session I'll leave it with this - Ford Customer Care Agent "Dave contact your dealership after the Christmas Holidays to see if they have come up with a solution". Dave's response - that is over 10 weeks away, I will not own this truck into the new year. Ford needs to step up and correct the problem, buy the truck back, or get me into a new 2011 at no cost to me. Ford's answer "well we are not buying the truck back, nor are we going to give you a new one". Dave's response as I cut off the rep "well sadly you got my $64,000 and shame on me for thinking you would respect my money and me as a customer. Thank you for your time, and I will not be contacting my dealer or Ford in the future as this is my first and now last Ford truck i will own. Have a great holiday season".

I tow at speeds that I feel are safe for myself, my property, my family, and those who are on the road around me. Who am I to tell another fella what is right or wrong or how fast is too fast or too slow? Happy travels all.

Rich,

you might be seeing me in Central FL before you make the trip northward to Ohio this coming spring. I'll keep you updated.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #57
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave If you get to our area get in touch. A trip to Disney world will be in order.We have guest tickets.

Dave you did the right thing . I would have a big problem with a truck that performed like yours. mlh..understand but we can do 250 mile a day at 62/65mph as we have no schedules. It will happen one day. As far as 80mph with the camper attached...not for me and illeagl in most States. I would be afraid that this thing would fly apart at those speeds.

This is just me Dave but I would go on evey truck forum I could find and relate your experience with Ford. Not bashing.....just telling the story.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #58
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don't see your comments as bashing at all. The truth should not hurt, if it doe's you need to change.
Remember Rich
Any of these new cars will last you a lifetime if you drive em fast enough.
Lynwood