Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
pathfinder
Established Member

M.O.C. #10217
front jacks gears stripped out

We went to raise our 3400RL and the gears were stripped out. It would just make a racheting sound and not move. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fit it. Thanks Pathfinder

pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Had the same thing this spring. We have extended warranty through Good Sam and they covered repair, which consisted of replacing motor and jacks. They said a plastic worm gear was the culpret.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey pathfinder what's up? How's that new bedsaver doing? In respect to your front legs problem-- John Kohl had a thread on it in the past and how to repair then including all of the gears! Maybe John will chime in here. I tried to find it but I can't locate it! It had pictures and everything! I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Ours Motor would not run more than a few mins. at a time. I got it up high enough to hook it to the TV. Headed to Camping World it was the First of Jan and camping world said they would have to wait for parts. So we went on to our destination and got a local RV repair to come out. They only replaced the Motor not gears, seems better but this motor is slower up and down.If it happens again I will have the dual motors and gears and switch installed. In hopes this will make it stronger, Maybe???
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pathfinder

We went to raise our 3400RL and the gears were stripped out. It would just make a racheting sound and not move. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fit it. Thanks Pathfinder
Pathfinder,
You say the gears are stripped out. Are you saying both sides or just when you use the motor it clicks. There is a slip clutch on the reduction gears that may be slipping. I would look in the front compartment where the battery is and see if the square shaft is turning when you try to raise or lower the unit. If it is then yes both sets of gears are stripped. Here is the contact info for Venture Mfg.

Doug Olson V.P. Engineering Venture Mfg. Co. Dayton, OH 45414
Ph: 937-233-8792 ext. 27 TF: 866-365-1957 ext. 27Fax: 937-233-8485

Here is the link to photos I took of the gears for the landing legs.
The photos do have a drawing of the gears layout.
I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
campfire42
Established Member

M.O.C. #10283
I was camped next to a fellow Montanna owmer, and he was good enough to tell me to quit running my front legs up until they ratchet, that strips the bevel gears. I should stay down about 1".
campfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Our landing legs came with a decal on the one nearest the switch that says in big red letters STOP. We've learned that means do not raise the leg any higher!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
pathfinder
Established Member

M.O.C. #10217
Thanks everyone, my DH was able to get the gears yesterday and now we are whole again. I am so thankful that he was able to use blocks and a floor jack to get the camper raised so we could hook it up and pull home or we would still be in a campground in Wisconsin. The first RV place we called said 5-6 days before they could get the parts and felt we would have to replace everything, both legs. $300 a piece, yikes! After spending $90 on gears and some sweat we are fixed and ready to go again. Thanks again. God bless Pathfinder P. S. The bedsaver looks great and I haven't had to use it, Thank God and thanks John for the great pictures. Helped a lot.
pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I think it is also a good idea to check the motor mounting screws for tightness once in a while. The gear on my motor stripped once because the screws came loose.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
With experience, we have learned the amount of travel required to extend the landing gear before dropping the leg foot by using a calibrated level on the side of the trailer near the switch.
Memory Level

The gears in the leg are stripped by running the leg screw up too high or too low...check out John's photos for clarification.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
After the 3rd set of legs we went to a BIG FOOT System with auto level.
Only had them for one trip and love them so far.
robb is offline   Reply With Quote