Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Are You Addicted to Costco?

I'm an addict. Like a lot of addicts, I didn't think so. Until now. We're about a month away from saying goodbye to our stick house and hitting the full time circuit. My addiction was pretty well under cover until I started to clear out my stuff. Then, I discovered that a lot of my stuff was stored in various neat storage schemes; like the freezer in the garage, the cabinet in the basement, my overflowing pantry, and the shelves that line both sides of my cellar stairs.

Most of my stuff is from Costco. I'm addicted to the giant economy size relish, mayo, light bulbs, panco shrimp, ridiculously cheap butter, bread, pretzels, light bulbs, and doo dads. Unfortunately, I realize now that my new digs are going to require withdrawal, serious withdrawal.

Since suffering is not my thing I've devised two strategies to alleviate the pain. One is to do my route planning from the Costco store list available on their website. While this won't allow me do indulge in all the giant stuff. I still haven't bitten on the 50# bag of rice, for example, even in my stick house where I could easily build a rice locker. But at least this strategy would allow me to get my favorites, even if I have to eat them three times in a row to prevent spoiling. It's not perfect but it will always put me near my dealer.

My other strategy is to become a traveling co-op. Every camp ground I visit (which, from strategy one, will be near a Costco) becomes my home base and I'll spend my many doggy constitutionals with an Ipad or something in hand, taking orders for my next round trip to the store. Then I can spend the two or three days between store trips sorting, dividing, and distributing packages appropriate to our downsized digs. I could get a little green visor and one of those nifty calculators with a tape to split the bill. It's not perfect but with this one I could even get a hand truck and haul out that bag of rice. I would never have to pass on a bargain.

What do you think? Are you addicted too? How do you handle the transition from warehouse mindset to itty bitty mustard jars and catsup packets stuffed into the nooks and crannies of your Monty?

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh, so you think you are off the hook?

For a stickhouse there's Costco. For an RV there's Camping World. Both have memberships and make you buy something or more than you need just so you can appreciate that discount on what you just wasted your money on.

If you have a problem with those, then the biggest culprit of them all is Walmart. They cover stickhouses and RVs! And for RVers they LET you spend the night so in the morning they will LET you can spend your money. Raise your hands if you have fallen for that one.

Pbahlin.... don't forget the white long sleeve shirt and the arm garters to go with your calculator and visor...
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
I still shop Costco...put a 5 cubic foot freezer in the washer/dryer closet of the 3400RL and buy Chicken Breasts, Hamburger, Pork Loin and Steaks. Chips, bread, detergents, cereals keep, just seal real good. I just don't use costco for things I have to refrigerate...shelves just don't accomdate big jars. You will adjust. Aslo check with fellow campers, they LOVE to split packages...lasgana, shrimp, pot pies....then you don't have to eat everyday for a week. Have Fun..We have been full-timing for 3 years and LOVE IT. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Art-n-Marge

I'm thinking about bringing along my Food Saver so I can vacuum pack the splits (kidding).

But....... There is the potential (if you only stay on smooth roads) for a platform slung, say 15", below the Monty to carry your loot. And, in the interest of efficiency and dual use, the arm bands and maybe the visor too, would be good for poker nights, eh?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Dandt:

So I thought I was bad. You, on the other hand, decided to forego clean clothes for double breasted chicken. That's just sad.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
My wife is dissin me on another thread. Gotta go!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I was guilty of over spending at Costco untill we made a shpopping list and went by it. we were spending as much as 350-400 per trip now we dont spend that much.
Costco is like a drug lord they get you hooked on a product then they stop supplying it for you.
They also move there inventory around what seems to be a weekly thing, to make you look for it and hoping you will see something else while you are looking for your original search. sometimes it is frustrating to make my shopping experance real short. But we still go back regardless.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
You know you're in trouble when you slow down at the door to dig out your Costco card and they waive you through. Our store rotates people at that post and they all know us on sight. Badddddd, really bad. Went there three times in one day last year.

If you're up to $400 per trip you might consider becoming a dealer. Just buy lots of stuff and set up a roadside stand near your rig. You can run along side cars waving little baggies with Ghiradelli chocolates in them. Get a look out though. You never know when some other addict will come along and try to steal your stash while you're running down the road.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Two words: WalMart!!! We let our Costco membership expire when we left Alaska, Nope, no more room for all the biggies.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
No, not addicted to Costco, but Sam's. We tried Costco but didn't like it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I don't care for the large packaging at Costco so we only use it when we are home. The other 7 months of the year we go to WallyWorld.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote