Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Mean Gene
Established Member

M.O.C. #9458
What would you expect to pay, or offer?

We're still looking for a new (to us) fifth wheel. We saw a 2004 Montana 3670 today and REALLY like the floorplan. I'm looking for a ball park figure of what you might pay for this unit, or what you might offer? Overall it's in good shape. On the outside, the decals are starting to peel, but there is no visable damage. The inside is very clean with no major problems. There are some minor items to be addressed, but are cosmetic for the most part (things such as on of the pocket doors needs to be adjusted, the floor vent covers need to be replaced, etc). There are two AC units and a washer/dryer combo unit included. There is only one recliner chair. It has awenings over each slide and one larger one over the main entrance area. Tires looked good. Undercarriage cover looked good. Not sure what else I culd mention.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Thanks.
Gene

Mean Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
As a start, here's a website for NADA (like Blue Book) that you can check what's equipped and get an estimate on a used unit. You'll probably find from $19K to $25K but the options you select might make a difference.

On edit, oops, forgot to include the website:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...T&d=2300085171

Just a few things I would look at: for the undercarriage, look close at the shackles that they are not out of round at the fittings and the nuts on the U-bolts are nice and tight. If they are not, the price you pay might cover their servicing but can be signs how the rig was used. Also take a look at the DOT for the age of the tires. Again, replacing tires might be needed and considered in the price and not necessarily something the current owner wants to pay for. On a 2004 I wouldn't make a big deal on the decals like you allude.

I am sure other members will be along to add their thoughts.

It sounds like you covered the rest pretty good. We wish you the best. Many members have had good luck with pre-owned units. Have fun!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
suggest you got to pll rv and look for a compatable unit and see what they are selling for. I found the blue book list to be high.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Mean Gene
Established Member

M.O.C. #9458
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't too worried about the decals...it was just an observation. I didn't check the shackles, but I can do that as well as check the age of the tires. Thank you for the suggestions.
Mean Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I visit this web site quite often. www.crankyape.com We’re not presently looking to buy but I enjoy watching what they go for. These units are repo units and are auctioned off. It gets interesting as to what some of them go for. I see Montana’s on the site quite often. There is a 2005 presently on there and also a 2005 front living room model that recently sold for $23,200.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Here are some numbers for you to keep handy:
Suggested List (New): $49,779
Used - Wholesale - Trade-in: $17,560
Used Retail: $23,210

Do not consider any additions/options in final price. As Art and others have said, go over it in detail, hook it up to power/water and do an operational test on all systems. Good luck.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Check for frame flex. The easiest way to do that is look at the bottom molding on the overhang while it is off the truck, then when all the weight of the Montana on the truck check the molding again. If it moves more than 1/4" I would think there is frame flex that needs to be repaired. Another way is to drop the panel under the overhang and visually look for broken welds, but that is a pretty big job to do when you are just looking for a unit.

We sold ours over a year ago for 26K and it was in very good condition after the frame flex was repaired. It did not have the 3rd A/C or the washer dryer.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you look at the nada guides be aware to NOT check any boxes for what they show as options unless they truly are options on the Montana. Many of those shown are standard and thus included in the base price/value. For example, the patio awning is standard but the topper awnings on the slides are options. The washer/dryer is aftermarket but the prep/plumbing is an option. The second AC unit is aftermarket in that year and its prep package (electrical and framing) is a factory option. I'm not sure but I think the primary AC is an option but I might be wrong. Check a brochure. If you don't have one, check at www.keystone-montana.com . I know they show specs for prior years but am not sure about brochures. At worst, the current year's brochure might help. Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote