Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cookin'

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” Virginia Woolf.
I love to eat. In order to enjoy eating, it’s a good idea to learn how to cook.
Sue and I were hooked when we got our Satellite many years ago, we watched all of the cooking shows, it looked so easy on TV. We can now look around the kitchen and find all of the gadgets and small appliances we bought, so we could cook like the people on TV.
We tried the gizmos sometimes a few times, sometimes just once.
It is possible that we just may have put Ron Poppiel’s daughter through college.
When I sold my HVAC business to a big Mechanical company in Chicago, they took me to a Ruth Chris steak house for dinner. I learned they cook the steak in a high temperature oven. The steak was so good, when I came home, I bought a big Stainless high temperature outdoor grill. Spent $1500 on it, burned another $500 worth of steaks before I figured it would be cheaper just to go back to Ruth Chris every other night.
Alton Brown is a favorite, his shows feature the science of cooking with cute little displays and chalkboard talks, one we watched was on fried foods. He had a neat fryer that turned out perfect fried delights. I drove up to Bed Bath and Beyond right after the show, the girls there greeted me as I came in the door, probably relieved that their daily sales projection would now be met.
I bought a slick stainless steel fryer, and a gallon of Peanut oil, raced home and set it up out on our covered patio by the pool. Sue already had thinly sliced potatoes, and chicken tenders ready for me. For the next hour I was frying up all the prepared goodies, the results were OK, but Alton’s looked much better on TV. We haven’t used it since.
The internet is an enabler, when I get an urge, or see something on TV, I just Google it, and a thousand recipes pop up, I hit the print button, and another cooking adventure unfolds.
Growing up, there were 6 of us kids, my mother did the best to feed us on a limited food budget, the meals were filling, but often you couldn’t distinguish one food group from another on the plate. The pressure cooker was often used, I still remember going to the chicken supply house with dad. Chicken necks. We ate pounds and pounds of chicken necks, the pressure cooker would tenderize the bones, so we ate the meat, and bones.
She made dog and cat food the same way, I never knew if the meal cooking was for us kids, or the animals.
I may be a bit of a hoarder, I have two freezers and a refrigerator-freezer downstairs, stocked with steaks, frozen veggies, pizzas, hamburger, and chicken. (No chicken necks)
Whenever we see something good on TV, I have what it takes to prepare it in the house.
I see Paula Dean is on now, I will learn how to cook Southern Meatloaf, better go down to the freezer and get a pound of butter…

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
The Food Network is a blessing for the tongue, and a curse for the tummy. I have some food allergies, and my DW regularly modifies FN menus for me. I am seldom disappointed.

We haven't succumbed to buying all the goodies we see there (yet). Heck, I can burn a steak on my Char-Broil as easily as you can in your high-temp grill! Just not as quickly...
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Oh, the hi-temp grill is gone now, the burners burned out, they wanted $75.00 each for them, I scrapped the whole thing and am using a $20.00 Walmart grill...I agree with your assessment.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Got one of those SS deep fryers for Christmas. It is nice to use, but a booger to clean. I couldn't believe that thing would hold a whole gallon of oil, but it does.

I used peanut oil for fish for years, but found veggie oil does just as good. I saw recently where they said lard was the best, health wise.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
Ozz, thanks so much for the morning laugh. I can so relate to that.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are welcom NewFlyLady. I enjoy laughing at myself.
I just went to a meeting/lecture and was a little early.....7 days early.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
ozz, Try searing your steaks in a real hot cast iron skillet before you throw them on the grill. keeps the juice in and nice and tender,I do the same when I cook a roast in the oven.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good tip. I now cook them in a pan, finish them in the oven on a cast iron serving pan Yummer... I seldom cook on the grill here at home.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
We love Alton and have most of his shows on DVD so we can double check his instructions whenever necessary. When we cook a roast, it's the slow, low heat way, and we haven't had a bad roast yet. They don't seem to last long enough for roast beef sandwiches, though.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bob, did you see his bike trip up form the Gulf following the Mississippi? We loved that, he crashed and burned on his bike. I think he stopped riding after that.
I'd like to see that series again.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Ozz, I saw a couple of programs in that series, but I didn't realize he'd hurt himself in Indian Springs, NV, which we drive through whenever we head south to Vegas or Quartzsite. I heard that he was on camera when he crashed, and it was shown in the next show.

We love his explanations of what's happening in the cooking process. It makes it so much easier to remember his cooking techniques, and understand why I've screwed up a recipe.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #12
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Oh, Ozz, we know the addiction of Food TV

I am married to "Bobby Flay"(Weber). If he can't watch him everyday it is on the DVR for later. We now have 3 grills, 2 gas grills (1 for the rig) 1 Charcoal and used to have a smoker, pricey, used once spiders invaded it therefore it went to the dump. He has mastered the techniques and now he grills everything from lettuce to pizza. I love it as well, I haven't cooked in nearly 2 years!
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Last Wednesday, as every Wednesday, I eat lunch at a really good Italian restaurant here in North Kansas City. I have my business networking meeting there. I try different items that I would like to duplicate at home, last week I had beef bone-in ribs with a thick wine sauce. Just about the best meat I have ever eaten, the rib meat was so tender, the wine reduction so delicious. I have tried twice to duplicate it here at home. Once with a nice Cabernet Sauvignon, and the other time with another wine. My sauce was thin, even after reducing and adding honey on one. I will have it again today, slip the waitress a five and get the seceret..hopefully. My rib meat is just as tender, but the sauce needs work. I suspect a rue is involved.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #14
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
maybe rue...alot of people do not realize that a true reduction doesn't come from reducing a liquid, but from reducing a liquid combined with solids...and how much liquid it takes to get a reduction. For example, a recipe similar to what you are talking about would entail (for me) braising the ribs, then roasting them with the red wine and other ingredients (mire poix,whatever)....when ribs are done, the "sauce" would then be placed in a pan and reduced...adding other liquid if necessary, ie., more red wine. Some of my reductions require about 3-6 times as much "liquid" to start. Remember, it's not just a reduction, but also turning solids into liquid. Reductions are easier when doing a saute' dish usually...like if you were sauteing chicken breasts, dredging lightly in flour would give you more solids for a better reduction..in reality, it would become a sort of "rue".

Two of the hardest things to teach in culinary arts is reductions and carmelization, believe it or not.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wild Horse, we need to visit...
Thanks for the information.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #16
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Wild Horse, we need to visit...
Thanks for the information.
Looking forward to it ! In my "prior life", I was a Certified Executive Chef/Certified Culinary Educator...taught, among other things, ice carving, butter/lard sculptures, chaud froid work and charcuterie. Worked at several 4 star resorts from AZ to IL.

I was culinary, before culinary was cool.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:33 AM   #17
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Anyone can make meat & vegetables, Its the sauces that make the difference. Hard boiled shoe served with a great sauce tastes fantastic.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sounds like we need to find out the next rally "Wild Horse" attends to sample his culinary arts. Sounds truly yummy. I'll bring the shoes.

I can do meat and vegetables, but suck at sauces, which I love the most but only when made by others.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, I would love to trade services with him, but he is adapt at anything I can do, it seems. I have always admired the craft of cabinet makers.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Thanks for the kind words. I've always loved working with my hands, no matter what. My greatest passion was always ice sculpting, but haven't done it in years. I used to tour all over the place to the ice competitions. Years ago, I gave up the culinary arts...too many hours, too much stress. Been building up my woodworking biz ever since. That's on hold now, due to an injury to my left (dominant) hand/forearm...3 surgeries to go, beginning next friday and hopefully I'll be back in action !!!! That on top of picking up our new to us monty mid-april, and the future is looking pretty nice.

I'm really looking forward to cooking while running around in the Monty. I used to love to cook in camps, especially anything from a dutch oven. I know it'll be a rare occurence for that type of fire, but hey...I can dream, can't I ?