Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Supplemental Insurance

OK, I am in my retirement year and knowing I need to start making plans before that October date, I could use some input on supplemental insurance for Medicare. Now I don't have any military plans or previous employer plans to fall back on so would appreciate any advice on direction to look. Now if it violates rules to mention insurance companys on here please send me a PM.
Me and the DW is looking forward to that October date but we know we need to start processes now.
Thanks for any input you can throw my way.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Answers to this question is different for everyone.. If you plan to stay in your home State there are a lot of plans that are HMO related and can be had for a pretty good price but if you become a full time RV'er you need a Medicare Supplement that cover you around the country. Most of the ones that are Medicare Supplement F plans have Medicare as the primary and if Medicare covers the procedures then the supplement will pick up the part that Medicare doesn't pay (20%).. If you get the HMO type, they may provide for other things that Medicare doesn't cover such as routine exams etc.. They become the primary and handle the billing to Medicare.

It is important that you talk to an Insurance Agency that knows about fulltiming if you plan on going that route when you retire.. In fact it is important that you talk to an agent that can show you several plans and the differences in each of them. Do not let anyone tell you that all Medicare Supplements are the same.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
You will find that as October approaches you will get advertisements in the mail daily. Carefully review anything you consider. If you are going to do any amount of RVing around the country you will want a policy that doesn't limit you to certain medical providers. Look at a policy that will pay no matter who you use. It will cost more, but at least you won't have to worry about the medical provider you go to. Also you will want a policy that provides for preventative care such a exams, vaccinations and the like.

A member of our RV club is a retired insurance salesman and gave us this advise. DW's experience emphacized the need to have a policy that doesn't limit you to provider they will pay. We were in AZ and her doctor had recommended a test that could be done at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. The insurance wouldn't pay for it as they had a provided back in WI that they would pay. As it wasn't an emergency we waited until we went home in May. We weren't about to drive the 2,000 miles just for the test. Test later proved to be negative.

If it is permissible we have Physicians Mutual. Based in Omaha. Good friend has had it for about 8 yrs and totally satisfied. I have had it for 2 yrs and am totally satisfied.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Phill & Gladys, While you are perfectly correct in asking the question and searching now, I am not sure I would do anything until I see what the health care bill, that congress is going to shove down our throats, before purchasing anything. IMHO
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Phil and Gladys, congratulations on almost reaching retirement. Since we have retired, it seems like it is difficult to see how we had time for work, before. We had our own business with no government or employment insurance either. We had individual coverage Blue Cross before and, when we reached 65, got the medigap type to help when Medicare was lacking. We are just as concerned about the future of our coverage after this new healthcare mess is finally enacted as Phil and Cathy but, for now, this seems like the best of all worlds for us. Enjoy your retirement!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Of Course Helen and I are well covered being retired federal Employees able to take our BC/BS health insurance with us into retirement (NOT FREE) and for me i also have medicare... I think I would also wait till we see what the new Healthy bill will bring. All we hear is media hype and political BS thus far. If the bill comes anywhere near what it was supposed to provide it should provide folks like you some sort of coverage to build from.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks everybody for the input, this is all good stuff we need to carefully consider and ex8vatr you are so right. This health care plan that our distenguished representatives are working on could get a bit hairy in the future.....gotta keep that in the picture when trying to make good decisions.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There are almost as many health care plans out there as there are people. The inside joke (?) on HMO plans is they are great until you get really sick. This is based on the fact that they have a heavy emphasis on preventive treatment but can make getting authorization for costly medical treatments daunting. The big draw to HMO plans is that office calls are covered (but you have to use HMO Dr.s), so if you spend a lot of time going to the Dr., this can be a major issue, but Medicare also covers 80% of office visits (after the yearly deductible). PPO plans try to balance between traditional and HMO, in that they cover some preventive treatments and may offer reduced office visit charges. As with HMO's you must use network providers, but because PPO's typically pay better than HMO's, more providers participate. Both PPOs and HMOs require pre-authorization for non-emergency out-of-area treatment. Traditional is more widely accepted but does not cover office visits, although it will normally cover associated tests, x-rays, etc.

So what does all this mumbo-jumbo mean???? First look at your health care needs. Then look at where you will spend the most time. Some plans are nearly non-existent in some states. Make sure the plan has sufficient providers in the area(s) you will be spending time in, and that these provider match your needs. After you've satisfied these two items, look at cost. Too many people get hung up on cost first, but end up paying for it later on!

One last thing to consider. Very few plans cover transportation costs, especially air transport such as helicopter. Typical air ambulance bill for a 15 minute flight will run $8,000. There are add on policies that are fairly reasonable if you plan on staying in remote areas. I'm not talking about remote as in the wilds of Alaska. I'm talking about anywhere that is 50 miles from a major trauma or cardiac center. Just a thought.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I signed up with Humana last open period. Believe it is one of the "avantage" plans. I was advised and went with the PPO. Had shoulder surgery this past July, and was out of pocket a little over $600 out of a $54,000 tab for the surgery.

It is my understanding this is one of the plans that will be eliminated to cover the costs of the new health insurance fiasco.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"One last thing to consider. Very few plans cover transportation costs, especially air transport such as helicopter. Typical air ambulance bill for a 15 minute flight will run $8,000. There are add on policies that are fairly reasonable if you plan on staying in remote areas. I'm not talking about remote as in the wilds of Alaska. I'm talking about anywhere that is 50 miles from a major trauma or cardiac center. Just a thought."

Check out skymed it covers these kind of cost..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote