Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
KEG
Established Member

M.O.C. #9790
Banks Equipment & Firestone Air Bags

This forum is great being a newbie I can pick your brains and you guys can help me spend my money (wisely) and if I have any money left I'll hit the open road and meet some of you fine people!! The wife ask for the xmas list I just hope she can handle the sticker shock!!
My horse is a 2010 F 350 SD Crew Cab Dually with a 6.4 Powerstroke. I am considering the following Banks performance equipment: Six Gun Tuner with Banks IQ, Air Ram, Banks Inter Cooler, Banks Monster Exhaust and Speedbrake due to released in Feb. The contact at Banks said I will pick up to 4 mph/gal towing with this equipment as well as more horsepower and torque. I would like to have your input concerning your experences with this equipment and the pros & cons. Also has anyone run into any issues with Ford warranty coverage as a result of using this equipment.
Also I am considering Firestone Air Bags and would like input on your experiences with this item as well. The 5er is a Montana 3400 dry wgt of approx 12,500 with pin wgt approx 2,200. This item appears to a good investment for ride quality and control / safety.

Thanks

KEG (Kevin)

KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Kevin, check your warranty, if you make any changes it WILL be voided, as far as the air bags go I have no idea if it will improve your ride but you sure dont need them.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, I will agree with Bill. The warranty is pretty much toast, unless you have the equipment (not necessarily Banks) installed at a Ford dealer. Even then, there is a chance that only that dealer would honor a warranty. Ford's complaint is that the addons might be the indirect cause of any concern and they use this reasoning to void your warranty.

As for the Firestone Air Bags, those are great! Some will argue that your F-350 DRW may not need them, but my SRW F-250 was certainly improved by them. Make sure you get the right size and capacity. Some trucks have options and you'll want the most capable for your truck. For me, not only was the ride improved, but it fixed the sag that caused my headlights look like hi-beams to oncoming traffic. I hope someone with a dually can provide input for your case.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I think Bill hit the nail on the head, so to speak! Since you have a NEW (2010) TV, I would definately check the warranty and also check with your dealer before adding anything to that new jewel. I'd hate to see you have a problem and take it into the dealer or a dealer, if on the road, and find out you have no warranty. I know, Banks says if you put their equippment on your unit it will not void the warranty but that's like your salesman telling you that you will get 20-25 miles a gallon on the road towing! Pipedreams are cheap and so is talk or promises. When it comes down to the bare facts there are completely different outcomes and actual facts. We're not trying to tell you not to put this stuff on your unit, but be careful, and read all the fine print both on your Ford warranty and the Banks! Let us know what you decide and what you go with!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Don't know about that Ford, but my Duramax is plenty powerful without any addons...not to mention the warranty issue.

What would the air bags do for you? Don't need them to level the truck or help with the load.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Skip the add ons unless you want to race someone. In my opinion the warranty is more important.

The air bags are great IF your truck needs the extra load capacity. My old '99 F-250 did not have the extra leaf spring so I needed the extra support when I got my fiver. But me new F-350 has the extra spring package and I do not need the air bags. The ride was good with the bags but when not towing they were deflated and did nothing for the ride. Just make sure they are installed properly.

Good luck.

KT
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
i owned 4 fords 350 and now have a 2008 Chevy Silverado, 3500 and i never thou any of them needed more power or the air bags as the one ton you dont need the extra load , i wouldnt think ........
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As most of the other post sugested I agree, Banks will also tell you almost anything to make a sale, especally what you are looking at dollar wise.
As for air bags, I dont think you will need them either, the pin weight on yours is 2100 if I remember right, thats a walk in the park for your truck. the pin weight on my 2004. 2980RL is more than that and I still have a stiff ride. save your money and invest it in a new toy or somthing for the Monty.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i would wait till the warranty is up and then add those items .you probably dont need them but it is allways nice to have .like you said you will gain 4 mpg that is also nice.power is GOOOOOD......
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Remember the Ford warranty on the 6.4L motor is 100,000 miles. Ford will void your warranty if you have a problem and they discover the Banks equipment. Allegedly, the PCM (on-board computer) in the 2008+ models knows if a tuner was ever installed. So removal before service or repair is no longer an option. Ford is having financial troubles, as are the other manufacturers, and doesn't hesitate to cancel a warranty for violations of it's published conditions.

You don't really need more power, the 6.4L will do the job. Better mileage would be wonderful, but do the math to see how many miles you have to tow before you break even. If it were me (actually it is as I have a 6.4L) I would re-direct the $$ towards going South for the winter and discovering how well the Ford tows along with meeting a crowd of MOC folks.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I can only comment on the air bags. I installed them on my 2500HD a couple of years ago mainly to level things out. Before adding them the truck would drop about 1 1/2" when hooked up. So I measured the distance from the bumper to the ground, then hooked up the rig and added air until it was back to that measurement. It takes 40 psi to level my rig. It will very with other rigs, but that is how I did mine. Also the ride has improved slightly.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
DaveandDoris
Established Member

M.O.C. #9864
Ford will void your warranty. I purchased a Bully dog triple pup and I don't feel it was worth the money for the increase in the fuel mileage they said I would get. Most time I run with it in the stock mode and only use it to monitor my turbo pre temp and turbo psi. I had the air bags on my F250 and they worked good while towing. I now have a F350 and don't think I need them.
DaveandDoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Most people wouldn't advise loosing your warranty over a few extra horse power. Most mileage claims are not exactly truthful when it comes to fuel boxes. Most won't hurt mileage but very few will improve it. I wouldn't think that the air bags would be needed on a one ton.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KEG

This forum is great being a newbie I can pick your brains and you guys can help me spend my money (wisely) and if I have any money left I'll hit the open road and meet some of you fine people!! The wife ask for the xmas list I just hope she can handle the sticker shock!!
My horse is a 2010 F 350 SD Crew Cab Dually with a 6.4 Powerstroke. I am considering the following Banks performance equipment: Six Gun Tuner with Banks IQ, Air Ram, Banks Inter Cooler, Banks Monster Exhaust and Speedbrake due to released in Feb. The contact at Banks said I will pick up to 4 mph/gal towing with this equipment as well as more horsepower and torque. I would like to have your input concerning your experences with this equipment and the pros & cons. Also has anyone run into any issues with Ford warranty coverage as a result of using this equipment.
Also I am considering Firestone Air Bags and would like input on your experiences with this item as well. The 5er is a Montana 3400 dry wgt of approx 12,500 with pin wgt approx 2,200. This item appears to a good investment for ride quality and control / safety.

Thanks
KEG (Kevin)
Kevin,
I can only speak from my experience. I had the Banks Power Pack and Banks Exhaust Brake installed on our F-250 in January 2002. It has definitely boosted power and I've never had a problem. I have read letters from Chrysler, GM and Ford stating that the Banks Systems WILL NOT void any warranties. But I can only speak for myself.

I was never promised any increase in MPG, however I did immediately experience an increase of 2 mpg. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Again, this has been my experience and in no way negates anything anyone else may say.

You wanted opinions and I believe you'll get them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #15
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Other than the Banks system for the 6.4 (which was great on the early Power Strokes), I would look at the Spartan Tuner built specfically for the 6.4 and by ex Ford Engineers with lots and extreme testing. The guys up here in the Oil Patch love them and there are a great majority running Spartan (Lots of 4X4 Diesels in this Country) with no problems at all. Absoloute better fuel mileage, better shift patterns when pulling inclusive of horsepower chacteristics. Talk to your Dealer's General Manager before making any changes and do extensive research. Also it is worth your while to ask questions on the 08 - 09 6.4L Power Stoke Forum, lots of expertise and experience there.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Also another thing to think about is up and comming smog inspections in 2012, I do know that California will come down hard on anybody that does deletes or modifications to there vehicle it will be brought up to California requirements, whatever the cost to the owner, I dont know about Ohio but eventually all states will be doing the same as California on smog for diesels, all the manufactures Ford, Dodge, and GM have made many changes to there motors to bring them up to EPA requirements. I'm not trying to stop you from getting that extra punch and milage increese out of your truck that we all love so much, I just throwing things out there that will cause another fee to your wallet down the road.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
I would stay away from any aftermarket parts Ford will void warranty in a heartbeat. Speaking from experience, had a Banks Ottomind 6 and Banks 4" exhaust on my 06 F250, was having problems with truck idle took to dealer and once they called Ford about what was added to truck they voided warranty, never even sent rep. to look at truck. Had hole in one piston. So Ford blamed Banks and Banks blamed Ford. In the end cost me $14,000 to get truck back, had to have new engine. Once I got truck back Ford wouldn't warranty the new motor cause the 4" exhaust was still on truck. My advise, unless you got deep pockets, stay away from aftermarket parts while vehicle is under warranty. Spend the money on extra fuel tank.
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think Sgrob47 explained things very well. Theoretically, federal law is on your side if they cancel the warranty. But, like he said, you will need deep pockets for litigation.

Frankly, I think the big increase in MPG they advertise is BS. Who is gonna add a tuner and keep their foot out of it? IIRC, the new 6.4 has 350 HP and 650 ft. pounds of torque. Why more? JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #19
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
That's why it's important to work with your Dealer. We all have to remember if everyone that modified their Fords dumped Ford because of warranty issues and aftermarket parts they could loose a lot of sales and that is the last thing they want to hear at this time of financial problems. Warranty sells trucks, your Dealer sells trucks; there are at least 20 new 6.4 F350s in our area that are now tuned with DPF delete. Is Ford going to dump these customers?? I don't think so!! These guys are running new rigs every two years with $10,000 worth of accessories added to their trucks. They actually support Fords business; warranty or not. I know of two 08 F350s with tunners and DPF deletes that have been in for warranty with in the last two weeks and no questions asked and warranty was performed and covered. The last thing a Ford Dealer wants to see is a disgusted customer move over to another manufacture. Also why are the aftermarket suppliers so sucessful ie Banks, etc.??? There's always two sides to the story.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I used to be with the tuner crowd, even though I've never had one on the GMC. But, things have changed with the financial crisis. It is my understanding that GM added a feature in 07 to detect any flashes to the computer for the purpose of catching users of the "liar boxes". To my knowledge that is everything but Edge products. Another poster says Ford has added that feature also.

Whats gonna happen when a couple of those fellows with tuners burn the pistons and crater the engine? If the dealer doesn't foot the bill, Ford is gonna send a rep in to take a look and the **** is gonna hit the fan. Surely you realize 20 trucks ain't gonna make or break Ford?

Oh, and my dealer in East TX installed tuners also. Don't know if they still do. But I sure wouldn't want to depend on them to come to my rescue if I used one and cratered the Duramax.

Well, have to edit that. I suppose I had a brain fart. The Edge is the liar box. It does not reflash the ECM like the others.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote