Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Pressure Pro to the Rescue

We were saved by Pressure Pro. Yesterday, Monday, September 21st, we were traveling south on I-69 near East Lansing, MI when I noted that one tire was not up like the rest of them. We pulled in to Tuffy Auto Services and discovered that another of our "aluminum" wheels was leaking air in a couple different places. Cracks were appearing all over the wheel. We bought another steel wheel from Quality Tire in Lansing (they delivered to Tuffy's) and Tuffy technicians made the swap.

This is the fourth aluminum wheel we had that went bad, but the first one that didn't leak around the valve stem. I would have hated to see what might have happened had we continued the way it was because I believe that the entire lug area of the wheel would have broken out. That's how bad the wheel looked.

We were given two new wheels by Keystone back in 2003 and I bought one, but no more. Though our rig now has two steel wheels (that don't match) the rig still rolls and we'll continue to travel until my age prevents it.

Just wanted to pass on this info about the Pressure Pro system in case there are still some on the fence about getting it. The damage we could have incurred would have been much more than my $500 insurance deductible!

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Not only the $500 deductible but the hassle involved dealing with the aftermath! I'm a bit dismayed hearing about the rims though. Was this limited to your year of trailer, or is it an on going problem?

BTW: We installed the TST system, and I was surprised to see how much the tire pressure fluctuates when the tires heat up on the road.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Pressure Pro System save us twice, both times Aluminum wheels had cracked. If it had be at night or out West were traffic isn't so bad most likely we would have had a major problem. I ordered 4 new Alcoa Aluminum wheels and when I comparied the foreign made wheels you could see and feel the difference. I haven't checked but I probably have foreign made Aluminum wheel now, if so the first crack in the foreign made wheels I will get Alcoa's. But again thanks to PPS it saved you a possible new side on the Montana. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Not only the $500 deductible but the hassle involved dealing with the aftermath! I'm a bit dismayed hearing about the rims though. Was this limited to your year of trailer, or is it an on going problem?

BTW: We installed the TST system, and I was surprised to see how much the tire pressure fluctuates when the tires heat up on the road.
No, I don't think it has anything to do with the age or type of trailer. It has everythig to do with the wheels. I think that you'll find that there are a lot of owners out there who will attest to the failure of the aluminum (OEM) wheels. I believe that if you want a good aluminum wheel you'll have to go to something like the ones made by ALCOA.

Yes, you'll notice an increase in pressure as the tires heat up. That is allowed for by the manufacturer of the tires. Don't exceed the cold pressure of the tires. In other words, when you check the air pressure first thing in the morning, for full load in your rig, put the pressure in the tire called for on the sidewall of the tire. In my case it is 80 psi.

Orv
Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Another flat for me today, from Bar Harbor to Concord, NH. Just bought this tire in Boston and it is gone already. Part of the steel ply was showing through the sidewall near the tread. Will try and find a Towmax dealer in this area and try and work out a replacement deal. TIRES ARE MY NEMESIS. I will be surprised if these tires hold up until I get to Texas for the winter. If anyone has any suggestions, I will be in the Concord/Manchester area for the next week.......BTW Pressure Pro alerted me when tire got arond 65 psi as I was looking at it it went down to 54. Time to change it. Side of the road on the Mass or Maine turnpike. OUtside tire, don't you know.......Scary out there in the slow lane..........

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Phil, If you had bought Michelins while you were in Florida you wouldn't be having flats now. They cost a little more but so do buying tires again and again.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Hugh, your point is well taken, however, that doesn't help me here. I need to find a Towmax dealer so I can get an adjustment on a bad tire, then make a decision what to do next. Michelins are definitely top notch, but I want to check out the Goodyear G614's also. I need to check with Tredit in Elkhart to see if my 06 rims can accept the higher psi G614s. I have a feeling I am running heavy, (will find out for sure at the MorRyde plant in Elkhart in October) and would want a set of tires to support my trailer.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Phil,
I've had very good results from the Bridgestone tires we had installed two years ago.

Orv
Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Phil: As I try to visualize the problem you state above -- is the tire severely worn on that outside (or inside) edge? My concern and reason for asking is axle alignment. On my unit I just had to have the axles aligned because I had put new Goodyear G rated on and I had 3 of the 4 that were wearing outwardly -- leaving a residue like an old gum eraser on the outside edge of the tire. Wore the last edge down quite a bit in just over 1500 miles. The found the two axles out of parallel and also tow and camber off -- cost me about 250.00 but are now wearing well and the trailer tracks straight now.

So, guist of my post is to suggest looking at alignment if you are having such problems.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Skypilot, I have no axles to align. I have the MorRyde IS installed and will be visiting MorRyde on 14 Oct to have the entire system checked. They can check the alignment then. Thanks for the advice though.....
Old 09-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Phil look for a number stamped on the back side of the your rim, if the number is 3042 it will handle the G614's, sorry to say I'm not sure that number is correct. Good Luck, sorry to hear about the tire problems. Attaboy Pressure Pro!!!! GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Phil and others -- sorry -- brain cramp -- should have read the bio at the bottom where, in bright red letters, you tell that you have MorRyde IS!!.. Somedays it seems I can see but it doesn't register with the old gray matter . Now the question becomes, is the MorRyde IS adjustable if not in alignment -- never have seen anything on it so would be interested to know when you find out as well.

Thanks.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Yes it is adjustable just like getting the front end of a vehicle aligned. Have had mine checked twice just to make sure it's in alignment. I've only had it done at MOR/ryde so I don't know what others may charge to do it. It seemed to me that MOR/ryde is a little expensive -- but believe it's worth it.

Orv