Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
**Pet Peeves!**

Do you have any pet peeves?

I guess I do, and one of them is people going through red lights. I was driving home from work yesterday morning when I observed “5” different vehicles blatantly ignore traffic lights. Anymore, it seems that if the light changes there are times when you can’t move until the traffic clears while 2-3 people continue to slip through the intersection. I’ve noticed this time and time again.

However, yesterday morning I seen 2 cars boldly ignore a red light. Another vehicle couldn’t wait until the light turned green and was almost completely through the intersection before it did. While waiting on the light coming off of the bridge two tractor trailer trucks didn’t even hint that they would stop and completely went right on through a red light. I had seen all of this within 15 minutes of each other.

You can’t tell me there aren’t guardian angels around!

Be careful out there!

Oh I didn’t even mention cell phones…

Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
People with that type of driving behavior will sooner or later pay for it. Unfortunately, innocent people are usually injured as the result.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
It sounds as though you've been driving in New York or California. In those places, you automatically wait for the two cars to go through the red light before you proceed.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Just yesterday,there was a collision between a small car and a landscaping truck pulling his trailer. The truck was going to fast to stop!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Drivers who have no clue what that white stop line painted on the street is for and will pull a car length or more over the line then when you can't make the turn in the long camper give you dirty looks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I read the local accident numbers recently (but forgot exactly what they were). But the percentage of local accidents caused by red light runners was very high and out of proportion to anything else except people talking/texting on their cell phones. And unfortunatly, a woman was killed not long ago when a gravel truck ran thru a red light and T-boned her car.
And it just seems to be getting worse.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
You all have hit the two major pet peeves I have about drivers -- drivers talking / texting on cell phones and then the current trend that traffic lights (amber and yellow) are for out-of-towners it seems. It is not just the east or west coasts (I think the comment above was NY or CA) but here in middle of nowhere Kansas as well, and it is getting worse!

One other pet peeve I have is the driver who doesn't use their turn signals -- seems that cars don't have that option installed anymore as more and more cars are seen turning, changing lanes, and pulling over, without any outward indication of intentions shown. Then the drivers look at you as if you are a moron for wondering just what in the H they are doing!! Enough rant. Thanks for the opportunity though.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My absolute BIGGEST PEEVE are using Cell Phones while driving. I don't care who you are and I don't care how long you have been driving. If you use the Cell Phone while driving YOU ARE BEING DISTRACTED, NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT.
A few years ago when NY state was looking at hands free driving they discovered that there are just as many accidents caused by distracted cell phone users as there are drunk drivers.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Glenn,
And just to put it in perspective, just as many by people playing with the radio or talking to their passengers. Now, texting is another animal altogether!!
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Just today I watched while a car on a two lane highway ran a red light and almost hit a bicyclist crossing on green. I think the driver got the message though because he/she pulled over to the side up the road a little bit. Probably to change underwear. It was a close one.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
How about when you are pulling your Monty and someone pulls in front of you, cutting you off and goes slow. At this point you can't even change lanes because someone is beside you! Don't people realize you can't stop on a dime.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #12
Al B
Established Member

M.O.C. #3654
My pet peeve is when people who are entering the highway think they have the right-of-way. When I learned to drive, I was taught that upon entering the highway, you are supposed to yield to those already on the highway.
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

When I’m towing I always drive with my lights on.
This serves two purposes.
1. I think it helps sometimes in keeping people from pulling out in front you but not always.
2. It allows you to see at a glance if the lights are still on and verifies that the umbilical cord is still plugged in.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheCoachPotatoes

How about when you are pulling your Monty and someone pulls in front of you, cutting you off and goes slow. At this point you can't even change lanes because someone is beside you! Don't people realize you can't stop on a dime.
Yeah, I love that. Makes me long for some James Bond rocket pods!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 AM   #15
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Other folks unthinking, uncaring, stupid or dumb-@@@ activities only affect me momentarily. Doing the same thing myself when I know better bothers me for a long time [payback ].
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I agree with all of the above pet peeves.

My pet peeve is people who don't watch the green turn signal; they stall or are inattentive (probably texting or talking on their cell phone) which makes it harder for people behind to get through the intersection.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
Riverside
Established Member

M.O.C. #4497
I agree with all the answers above, but my biggest pet peeve is when people don't put the shopping carts in the cart returns in the parking lots, especially when it is windy. I had $400 worth of damage to my car when a shopping cart hit it when it was windy. I always park way out in the parking lot away from the carts, but this one found me.
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
These fall into a category I like to call "Things that annoy Dave". There are far to many to list here, so I'll limit it to a couple.
1. People who drive with their headlights on during the day. Not a bad thing, as I do it myself, but some of them can't seem to figure out that high beams are as annoying during the day as they are at night.

2. People who pass in intersections on 2 lane roads. I had a young man pass me on the way to work this morning like I was going the other way. Of course, he passed me while going through an intersection. I love pay back though. When I pulled up to light right before my office, the light turned green and I proceeded, and as luck would have it I passed him in the other lane. All that speeding yielded the end result that I still arrived at my destination before him, all while driving the speed limit.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Skypilot - here in Florida it is considered a sign of weakness to use a turn signal
Also, when someone leaves their blinker on it is called the "eventual left"
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #20
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
As stated by TheCoachPotatoes...cut you off AND THEN TAKE THE EXIT! You almost know that is going to be done. But...you can only do so much!

And I agree the Guardian Angels have got to be swamped!! :~)

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote