Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Obamas - Fee Free wkend in Nat Parks

Obamas camping in Nat Parks - Fee Free Weekend

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
How in the world can anyone visit Yellowstone NP and the Grand Canyon on the same weekend and hike, bike and all that stuff? Boy am I ever glad that I'm a fulltimer.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Maybe if you are the President, you can make things happen...

Still, Helen, you make a very valid point. Two Nat Parks in one weekend? How do you find any time for "camping"???
Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The last place I'd want to be is in one of those parks when the President (ANY President) is there. Things will be so locked down that no one else will be able to enjoy the park.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We are staying at Mountain Meadows and the owner here said her son was camping in Yellowstone. His trip was ruined because of some one important there at the same time.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Anytime the POTUS visits anyplace you'd better be prepared to have your routine demolished. It simply is going to work that way. At one time members of the public could walk down the street with the President. They had no security guards so you could just go right up to them. But that was a long time ago. If people had not gotten rude and then dangerous then perhaps we still could. But that ain't never gonna happen. Our country is simply too polarized.

So we all suffer because of a few. Our trip to Yellowstone will have roads blocked and crowds rerouted. Stores may be closed. It goes on and on. So the best thing you can do in a situation like that is to stay holed up until it passes (and they usually do pass quickly) and then go about enjoying your vacation.

But even with the POTUS's great transportation system I don't see how they can spend any meaningful time in either Yellowstone or Grand Canyon! One weekend would not be nearly enough time. My goodness one needs weeks and weeks at each place just to touch the surface.

But I hope he gets out of the trip what he said he wanted. Somehow I think it will be different from when he made his trip. Even the President "Can't go home again". But we wish him the best. At least he's trying something a little different.

Travel safely,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Our tax dollars are funding this and think of the loss of revenue the parks will also incur.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tim43,
I'm not sure what your point is. Of course our tax dollars are paying for this. Just like our tax dollars paid for RRs trips to Santa Barbara and GWs trips to TX.

The article did indicate that the NPS was having a FEE FREE WEEKEND. So wouldn't they lose the revenue anyway?

HamRad
Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

..................How in the world can anyone visit Yellowstone NP and the Grand Canyon on the same weekend and hike, bike and all that stuff? Boy am I ever glad that I'm a fulltimer.

Helen

Right-on Helen! We feel so sorry for people who just get there, get setup, and just get relaxed when they have to go home. Yep, we'll use our America The Beautiful pass on a different day.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
HamRad, Once an area is swept in advance for a visit of this nature, it usually is not reopened to the public until after the visit takes place.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Two major parks in a weekend is a photo op for publicity purposes.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tim43

HamRad, Once an area is swept in advance for a visit of this nature, it usually is not reopened to the public until after the visit takes place.
Once again I miss your point. I guess I'm just on the dense side. I am old and have serious CRS.

And you didn't address your points in your first post.

But that's OK. I get your commentary.

Countryfolks, Helen, Dave,
About all they will have time for is taking pictures. To really see the areas they are talking about you easily need weeks and weeks of time.

But if anyone needs a vacation it would be the President (any President). Even if does take our tax dollars!

Travel safely,
Dennis
Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I can assure you that were ever POTUS is, I don't want to be there. I worked 15 years in support of the President and first family. I made almost every trip to Cal, Santa Barbara and LA for President Reagan. I did witness many thing most will never see in person. I will admit it was exciting Flying Air Force 1 or 2. We don't have to agree with who ever is the President but they do deserve a vacation anytime. We can be thankful I guess because there is no Western WH in Hawaii. You just have to see the President after they have a good vacation. I would never want to be President. They will never have a life, because someone is alway looking. And I can walk down any street in America. As for the last trip, lots of good PR on that trip. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
As most of ya'll know, Steve works in Yellowstone. They basically "closed down" Old Faithful so the pres and the family could enjoy it. Everyone else was booted out of Old Faithful Village for a minimum of 6 hours.
All federal employees were basically on call. Bear naturalists, bison naturalists etc were to work the weekend to prevent "traffic jams" as to prevent any uncontrolled situations. The overtime alone must have cost a fortune. Not to mention how it inconvenienced the guests who were staying at the old faithful inn or lodge...massive change of plans for most tourists I would say!
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wonder if Putin had all this security when he went hiking and swimming on his vacation last week in Siberia???

Maybe they should switch and have Putin come to Yellowstone and our Pres try out Putin's Siberia vacation spot?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...putin.holiday/
Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
A vacation in the west and then on to Marthas Vineyard. Boy the People of Ma. should really be happy about that. We have only had a week of summer the way it is. That's life. Aren't we lucky. Just hook up to the 5'er and leave all that riff raff behind. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote