Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
maynardga1

M.O.C. #8439
Hauling a motorcycle on my 5er

We have an '06 38' RL3500 pulling with an '06 Duramax HD2500. Has anyone successfully been able to add a motorcycle carrier of some kind to the back of their unit (500-700lb bike) with out having major problems with frame stress, axle or max weight pull issues? If I go to a swivel wheel type of trailer then I get into the issue of "triple pull"...Let me know

maynardga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The keyword is 'successfully'. I haven't heard of anyone doing it with a Montana. Putting that much weight on the rear of your 5er will have a major effect on all three of your concerns plus pin weight and tires, mostly negative.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I would not put a bicycle back there much less a motorcycle. Another consideration is your small truck...I would think that much weight on the back of the trailer would make it more squirrely. As for towing it behind the Montana, you might try the search feature for that. If I recall correctly there are some frame warranty issues if you try to tow much of anything on the Lippert frame.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You have the same trailer I do. The frame is made from channel steel and is set twice as far apart as the frame on your truck. While this doesn't sound like much, it makes a huge difference. In order to make something strong enough - without getting into the issue of whether or not the trailer frame is strong enough - is going to require major fabrication. This is NOT a case of being able to buy something off the shelf. At the minimum, you are going to need thick wall 2" by 4" rectangular tubing for the sides and thick wall 4" square tubing for the the cross piece. To reinforce the sides, I would add 1/2 plates mounted to the sides of the trailer frame and the tube frame. You are also going to have to remove your rear jacks and reattach them on to the new fabrication because they are mounted about a foot from the end of the frame, and you fabrication will have be a lot longer than a foot to be strong enough. Last, but not least, the trailer frame ends about a foot from the back 'bow out' of the trailer. Because of this, if you want the mouth of the hitch to stick out even with the end of the trailer, you are going to need additional bracing. This only a SWAG (super wild a$$ guess) but you are looking at around $200 material and at least 8 hours labor. And good luck finding someone who will guarantee the work for insurance purposes!

I mounted a pick-up tool box on the back of our trailer. The box is aluminum and weighs next to nothing, and the only thing I put in it is the power cord, wheel chocks, plastic blocks and water hose for a combined weight of maybe 100 pounds. Luckily, I have all the equipment needed and made it myself.

[IMGhttp://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l337/tstr14/K20D1563a.jpg
[/IMG[IMGhttp://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l337/tstr14/K20D1564-1.jpg[/IMG]

Tom S.,
Your pictures are too large! Please reduce the size of the pictures to comply with MOC Picture Policy. Then repost the pictures. Thank you. I am also sending you a PM. Please check.

RVWheels, MOC Admin.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I agree with everyone here. Adding that much weight to the backend of a Monty or any SOB that isn't a toy hauler, is not recommended. It changes the aspect at the pin, and a 3/4 ton is not heavy enough to tow an additional 700 or more lbs at the back end.

The weight at the rear axle would probably not allow the additional weight. There would be significant weight added to the rear of the Monty just for the multiple pounds of steel needed for the hitch support.

It's all about the weight and strength and I don't think Montys have that much to give.

As far as stories, we have heard unsuccessful stories of folks who have tried to tow a boat, or increase the size of an existing receiver, or carried bikes there and had problems, and the hardships go on and on.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tom S.,

Nice toolbox installation. You did a great job. You could probably put a lot of stuff in there and never have to worry.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our (SOB) manufactors are in the process of offering a system (Option) were the 5th wheel has a mount system in which you can hook a swivel wheel trailer one or two swivel wheels which can transport a motorcycle. At the Rally in June a unit like the 5th wheel we have on order had a one wheel swivel trailer hauling a full dress Harley Davidson. The rolled into the Goshen RV park into a spot and backed the 5er into the spot with no problem. I might be wrong but I think the trailer was called Smart Trailer. Before anyone does this I would make sure your frame will handle this option. Our (SOB) has already been tested by both the 5er manufactor and the swivel wheel trailer company and has been approved to have this option. Don't know if it will happen or not. I do know there are many riders of Motorcycles that would love this option. We do plan on double towing (a car)in some States with our new 2010. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
In the last campground we were in, I saw a GMC 2500 pulling a RL3500 and behind that a dual axle 18-20 foot enclosed cargo trailer to haul their Harley. Wished I had took a pic. I was impressed that he got the thing in the campground as tight as it was, but couldn't believe the set-up. Being we were in Asheville, NC at the time, I would have hated to follow him up the mountains. But to your question, it can be done. Didn't look to see how his hitch was done, but he had did it.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
I have wondered the same, since I'd love to take my bike on some of our trips. I know I don't want to add 650 lbs of weight to the back end of the frame. The bouncing at the end of that long moment arm must have negative effects over time. But I wouldn't be too concerned about pin weight, since it would actually reduce pin weight, being that it is behind the trailer axles. And I also know I don't want to tandem tow 2 trailers.

Well, on my recent trip to Gatlinburg, I saw a 5er drive through town with a motorcycle behind it. The owner had a small cradle type device attached to the 5er receiver hitch. The motorcycle front wheel rested in the cradle and its back wheel was on the road. It happened too quick to see how the bike was kept "straight", but there must have been some way to do so. It looked like a great idea. My only concern would be how much bouncing and wear was happening to the bikes rear end and rear tire.

But it seemed like a great idea - minimal weight on the back of the 5er frame, zero added pin weight, no issues with 2 trailer pivot points, and it looked easy to connect/disconnect. Of course, it would add to GCVWR, so you'd need to make sure you stay under 22K total.

I just wish I could have caught up with the guy and asked where he got it. A quick Google search showed me one similar (though not as "beefy") cradle.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...-trailers3.htm

Let me know if anyone has info on such a device.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Interesting question. I think most of us might say no. I ran across this photo today that jjackflash had posted in his Picasa Web Shots from the 2009 Progressive Rally.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jjackfla...73698611333042
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
This one solution but like the rest I think the truck is a bit light.

http://www.idahotote.com/
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

I ran across this photo today that jjackflash had posted in his Picasa Web Shots.....
That's Robbie's (Simonsrf) aluminum rack to carry his scooter. I am pretty sure the whole enchilada (hitch, rack, and scooter) are under 200 lbs. It sure won't handle a 650 lb. motorcycle.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Well, herein lies the answer.....

Can you do it? Absolutely, you can do anything you want to do. It's your stuff, and there are plenty of people in the world who are overloaded, overstressed, overtaxing their equipment, and are not having a problem, yet.

Should you do it? Again, your choice, but considering factors such as too much weight, something breaking because of it, it might not be a good idea but do whatever floats your boat. Just be aware things break when staying within spec, so the odds are higher but not guaranteed to be a problem if you exceed them. Like Dirty Harry used to say, "Are you feeling lucky?" Plenty of people have better luck than I do.

There's enough information in the MOC and other forums that persons are driving their equipment beyond what might be recommended. In the MOC members are free to post what they've done and enough of them post their problems as well. I hope it goes no further than anyone saying, "I did it because someone told me it was okay".

Please be happy with your choice.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #14
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I think I have to much time on my hands. If it were me I would take the Monty to this farmer:

http://www.heartlandowners.org/forum...ad.php?t=10921

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #15
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I would be thrilled if I could take my RoadKing with me. I would like to see a trailer with a small garage built in across the back. Nothing fancy, no lighting just a couple of tie downs in the floor. I do not want to give up the space required for a toy hauler type trailer nor have I seen one as nice looking as a Montana. It would make for a good storage room if not used for a bike. Hold a ladder or fishing poles. No more strapping junk to the ladder. Load and unload curbside. Ramp that folds down or slides out like a U-Haul. I would buy it. That would increase my enjoyment level by a factor of 1,000. There is always the bike rental option I guess. They could even make a Harley edition and charge 10 times what it's worth.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Might want to consider????

http://keystone-mountaineer.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=&model=347THT

Thought it was impressive.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #17
campingdave

M.O.C. #9474
Send a message via Yahoo to campingdave
I bought my 08 Big Sky from Webb's RV in Bangor, Maine. I tried talking them into making a "home-made" hitch to weld under the end cap of the camper. Their answer was "no". They called the factory to see if it was possible, and it isn't. I had wanted to put my 4 wheeler on a snowmobile trailer and take it camping with me. Here in Maine it is illegal to haul 2 trailers behind one power unit, unless of course you are working for Fedex, or Yellow Freight, or another company that normally hauls "pups". I also called the DOT, and the Maine State Police to verify the laws of pulling 2 trailers. Their answer was also "no". I mentioned to them that I hold a Class "A" CDL. That made no difference. Campers are not commercial vehicles, so the laws allowing one power unit to pull 2 trailers can't be applied to campers.
campingdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Yup, Carol, that's Mountaineer's toy hauler, with emphasis on toy hauler, which is designed to allow the extra weight like a Harley, as long as total weight requirements are still maintained.

But modifying a Monty for this weight? It might be easier to recommend to cut open the entry door to double width and use a ramp to stow the Harley in the center of the rig. But this would still require hardware to hold the bike make room for it. Hmmmm, I wonder if that would work.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #19
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
maynardga1,

I did just what you are proposing and it did not work for me. I built a dual wheel, swivel wheel trailer and put a hitch on the back of my 3400RL. I had a Chevy 2500 at the time and with the Goldwing on the swivel wheel trailer behind the 5er it got white knuckle scary. The trailer would sway and move the truck around in the lane and I felt like I was going to lose control at anything over 40 MPH. I decided then that I couldn't make it work and be safe so abandoned the idea and went with an HDT with a lift ramp on the back of the truck for the bike.
I know there are some out there that are hauling their bikes this way and I can only comment on my experience with this set up.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #20
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
A guy stopped in the place where we winter and had a Harley on the back of his Monty. He added a third axle because he kept blowing tires. It didn't look very safe to me.

I pull a small quad trailer with mine. some use an Idaho Tote made in Lewiston Idaho. They are $$$$$
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote