Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #21
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I personally value everyone's input on MOC. I don't view any particular member as the expert but respect their input. I do have the ability to discern, evaluate, and seek further input beyond MOC to help erase or at least minimize my already ignorant level of electricity...let alone adding a generator to the mix.

I value Brad, Oz and so many I haven't listed. It's like watching TV sometime...when people argue a point or personalize issues to a demeaning level, I simply change the channel. Here on MOC I read thru the barbwire and take the best of anyone's post and move on...tks again MOC. No lecture intended here but an honest feeling about everyone who has helped me personally along the way. Dennis

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #22
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Brad, and all others -- I meant no offense by my earlier post and did not mean to belittle, berate, or leave anyone out -- I sincerely feel that there are many, many people with a wide variety of expertise who frequent the MOC. Many have learned from formal training, others through the school of practical experience (hard knocks - I'm a charter member of this school I believe), others learn from, or keep their skills sharp, by reading a wide variety of items. Each increases our knowledge and ability to better enjoy our trailers and the camping experience. The varied and vast knowledge of each of you who willingly contribute to the rest of us reading this forum is sincerely appreciated by myself. I hope to continue reading your posts in the future, learning something new each and every time I do.

Please accept my apology - Again, I meant no offense and will try to watch how I say (write) things in the future.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #23
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
After taking all the information I have read and processed it in my tiny brain I pluged the Monty into the back of the truck and powered the outlet and NOTHING happend I mean nothing then I remembered I has to flip the breaker and low and behold the Monty came to life and did not smoke.
Now the next step is to find out where the connections are in the nose for the onboard generator so I can power it from the generator while I am driving. ANyone intrested I will try and post a photo of the setup

Thanks for all the help and information on the subject
\\\Fire1 Out
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #24
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Fire1,
These photos were taken for the discussion of installing my surge guard but should help.
This photo shows the battery compartment. The round gray cable from the right side of the IOTA switch box goes to a junction box where the on board generator would splice in. That is one place you could wire your front plug.
This photo shows the IOTA switching box open and this photo shows the IOTA wiring in close up.
I suggest you do a search on generators because there is some good discussions on wiring them in. bncinwv for one has done it and has helped others.
This topic is Bingo's generator install and this link goes to his photo pages on it.
I hope this help and good luck
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #25
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Congratulations on a successful generator hookup. On my Monty there is a metal junction box for the gen hookup in the front compartment. The Monty came generator preped. I assume that if yours did then the junction box would be in the same place. If you are going to do a temporary hookup, then you would need to install an inlet box to plug the gen into. This is NOT the same thing as an outlet. You can also install a power cord with two male plugs on it. This install NEEDS to be done properly or you can do serious damage to you and the rig. It's not difficult but requires some expertise. I would suggest that if you try to wire it yourself, have an electrician check it out.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #26
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Fire1,
Why would you need to have AC Power to Monty when traveling?

I suppose its do-able...but not something I'd consider necessity, sending AC Power via pigtail is non-standard.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #27
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Charles (noneck),

I am thinking the reason Doug is looking at hookup "while driving" is not so much when we would be moving, but when (for example) we might be evacuating due to a hurricane and we are unable to find/stop at a campground in route and we are "dry camping" and don't want to unhook Bella from Bruto for the temporary stop in route to "wherever" from the hurricane. But hey, I could be wrong and there is some other brillant reason for wanting to actually have a/c power while we are moving (and it better not be because I am back there when we are moving LOL)! By the way, I am guessing 'cause I haven't asked him.

Robin (the wife)
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #28
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Robin is correct. If we have to travel long distance and stop for lunch, dinner potty break I would like to be able to power the beast up and run the A/C without having to un-couple Yes running a LONG power cord from the back to the bed of the truck would also work but dragging it along the road puts a lot of wear on it.

Besides I have a cool generator in the truck and I want to use it for more than weight smoothing out the ride.

Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote