Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Water leaking under furnace vent

We got up this morning and we had water all under the Montana. The water is leaking somewhere under the furnace vent. We had an appointment that we had to go to, so he just turned off the water. When we got back the water was dried up, so don't think it is one of our grey/black tanks. The storage area is not wet, as far as I can tell. He has checked under the tub and it is dry as well.

Anyone have any ideas? Never a dull moment when you have an RV

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I had the same problem but only when using the flush system on my 3400rl. I took it in to the dealer and he said they were having alot of trouble with an anti-syphon valve and had replaced several.

When I used the flush water came in through the furnace onto the floor and dripped into the storage area on the driver's side.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Well, we have checked in just about every place that has screws in it and a plate that can be removed. Guess we will empty the basement and take off the panel that covers the water pump and the convience center. We have had a leak there before and hubby tightened all of the nuts when it leaked at New Years.

Dannyl, I will pass on your information to hubby, thanks for the post. We aren't having problems when we are flushing, this is when we are just allowing water into the rig.

Colleen
Old 10-26-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
When you do that check the white hoses that have a right angle fitting. These are pressed onto a plastic fitting and they tend to leak. I had to replace the ones on mine because they leaked. I replaced them with the hard line and the proper fittings.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
He has the panel off where the water pump is and no connections are loose. It sounds like there is a hissing from the pipe that goes around the furnace. We can't find any access to that area.

Guess this means we will have to take the underbelly down. Any tips from anyone that has done this?

Has anyone had to replace any of their pipes?

Colleen
Old 10-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
What year and model Montana do you have?
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
John,

We have a 3400 RL year made 2006. He has now cut a hole in the flooring to try to reach the leak. Water is in the electrical boxes just under the fender. This is a mess, he can't get to the area.

Colleen

Any suggestions would be great
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sorry my suggestion was on the 3295. Best of luck with the leak.
There are many 3400 owners so hopefully they can help
Good luck,
Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Looks like the leak is up from the fender area, right behind the side of the pantry. He is talking about cutting a hole in the outer wall of the pantry..... This is the pits.

Colleen
Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
He had to cut a hole in my pantry, but he has found the leak. We have a pin hole cut in the pipe behind the furnace. There was no way to access the fittings behind the furnace without cutting into the pantry. Don't understand why they didn't make an access hole for that area. Well, we now have one!! Guess we will call the mobile RV repair guy tomorrow. We need to have the refrigerator fixed any way, so will let him do the repair since we don't have the pipe to fix it.

Colleen
Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dang, glad you guys found it, and it wasn't the tank.
Good luck on the fix.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Glad you found it.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Been thinking about a repiping job for both water and gas, stories like this make me want to push it to top of my list. Want to replace the lp lines with csst tubing and the waterlines with Bow Superpex/brass fittings.

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
I think what really upsets me about all of this is that they have an access panel for the tub, the top of the shower, not sure why, the one for the hot water heater, another one in the kitchen for the connections for the kitchen sink etc. There is absolutely no way we could get to the area behind the furnace without tearing up our Montana.

It looks like the problem with the pipe is because of something during the building of the Montana. This wasn't a wearing problem, nor a loose fitting. This was a nick in the pipe that was weakened by the water pressure in the pipe. We now have a hole in the pantry, insulation pulled from the under belly to try to get to the problem while trying to find the leak. A hole in the the membrane before the insulation that was pulled out. Soaked floor boarding that is swelled. We have called the mobile RV company, hopefully we will get a call tomorrow. Not sure how long this thing has leaked, as the pressed board is swelled in the basement. One thing I do know about is the sound of the hissing sound of a pin hole in a pipe. We had several in our 40 year old home. Sure didn't expect it in our two year old Monty.

Bob says he can now tell you where all of the pipes are in the 3400RL. The ones that you CAN'T get to unless you cut through the wall are the ones behind the furnace. By the way you have two walls to cut through to get to the pipes behind the furnace. There isn't any insulation between those walls. Still not a happy camper tonight as I am getting water from the bath house to do dishes. He said he would turn the water back on, but we have enough moisture in the flooring now. Hate using a bath house, but guess I need to put the flip flops on and go take a shower in the campground showers.

So if you have a leak near the furnace, don't pull the belly, your problem could be behind the furnace or in your convience panel. That is another problem that Montana should address. Trying to pull that panel could result in taking out your black and grey water handles. I must say hubby kept his cool today even though he was hitting a wall every time he tried to get close to the problem. When I went to the Montana website they posted that they do not print/put on their website the schematics (sic) of their product. Sure would have been nice to have something that would give you a clue where to start to fix your problem.

Sorry to vent so long, but this has been a really long day, and I still have to put on flip flops and go take my shower.

Colleen
Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
One last vent, then I am done. The water was leaking from the pipe into the electrical boxes directly under them. Bob took off the covers and water poured out of them. We are blessed that everything didn't short out or catch fire.

The repairman should be here in about 20 minutes to fix the leak.

Colleen