Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Suggestions "around " Valdosta GA

In August we're planning on attending a Heart concert in Valdosta on a Saturday and then coming back through there the following weekend for a Suncoast RV rally. Any one got ideas on where to spend 5 days within about a 500 mile radius of Valdosta. I think Atlanta and Gatlinburg are out, but thinking of Chatanooga, Huntsville, maybe Memphis and maybe Tunica. Since we live on the west coast of Florda, we're probably not considering any beaches. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Craig, if you thinking of Chattanooga tn, theres a really nice county park there about 15 miles north of the city. its called "Chester Frost Park" has water , electris, 30 an 50 amp. its an island, and Chickamauga lake surrounds it. only a few minutes from all attractions in chattanooga, wally world and biggest shopping mall in tn. also a park I had lived in for serveral yrs is Holiday Trav-L Park, right on the ga tn line off of I-75. its full hookup with cable. If you want closer to valdosta, theres Stephen Fosters state park at White Springs fla about 50 miles south on 41 hwy. its real nice. theres many more around there, but these are some of my favorites
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:51 AM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Why not jump over to the GA coast and visit Savannah. It is a beautiful historic town with lots to see and do. They have a state park nearby that has nice sites (wish I could remember the name???) Ft. ?? You may want to go out to Tybee Island and visit the lighthouse. Steve & Vicki are the experts on this area. If you enjoy the beach there is a nice campground on Tybee.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
My nomination is Unicoi State Park at Helen, GA. My good friend "Wordsmith" is the experienced camper in the North Georgia, Carolinas area. Maybe he will come out of retirement and comment.

Even though you specifically say Atlanta is out. I must say that we have always enjoyed staying at Stone Mountain State Park at Stone Mountain, GA. We had a great time there last year when we had a unexpectedly free day and spent it with a full day pass to all the "attractions". It was a highlight of our trip.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Joyce H, I think you're talking about Fort Oglethorpe. Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem is... I live in Florida and i'd like to get away from the 95/95 heat/humidity. Savannah would be nice when it's cooler but it August it's miserable. Helen sounds good and the place it Chatanooga sounds beautiful. Is the weather in Chatanooga and Huntsville AL about the same? I've worked on the space program before and the NASA stuff in Huntsville would intrigue me.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
hey Tom, thats Fort McAllister state park a little ways out of Savannah, I just spent 9 days there last week, and temps were great, food Great but dont worry bout eating alot cause you can sure walk it off there! lol
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helena is in the mountains and cooler. There are many little towns with antiques and personality if you like that sort of thing.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote