Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Second A/C - Heat Strip Option

Are there any full-timers out there using a "Heat Strip" on your 2nd A/C in the bedroom? If so, are you happy with the addition? I plan on installing one on my unit in the next month to provide some supplemental heat this winter. I did a search on this forum and couldn't find any previous threads regarding the matter. I appreciate any responses....Thanks! Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights

SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey Allison,
I installed one in an old 22' TT we had, didn't like it, it blew so much air even on low that the discharge air was cool and drafty, I personally wouldn't recommend it, but some may like the small amount of heat. I am an instant gratification type of person.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Allison,

We had one in our old TT, and I have to agree with Ozz, was not very impressed. That said, it was a number of years ago, we could hope that the technology has improved over the years??

I would rather spend my Rving $$ on small ceramic heaters and if necessary an electric blanket.

Good luck

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I just added one to my unit for the same reason as you. I hope to get the inside temp up a bit faster. Since it has been 100 plus around here I cannot tell you anything about it. I guess we will both be able to post back later. We are planning a trip to California around Christmas. I will know then. Trying to take better advantage of the electricy I have already paid for vs: propane it takes to run the furnace.
Old timers are saying we are in for a rough winter. We have had a simular summer as 1980 and they still talk about the winter of 1980.

Rick & Wanda R.
2005 F250SD Lariat 4DR.
6.0 Powerstroke
2005 Mountaineer 328RLS
Sulphur Springs, Texas
Kids: Lexus and Sunshine
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
You guys responded very fast thank you! One thing I didn't mention is that I use the fan option on my 2nd A/C usually every night because I smoke and want the A/C unit to suck out the smoke and when it starts getting cold the fan option will freeze me to death ...so I figure if I install the heat strip I can still use the unit to pull out smoke at night without freezing me. Even though I smoke I don't like the smell of smoke lingering in the air. As far as a draft, I don't think I would mine since I often get "heat flashes" at night I know this is more than what you guys would probably like to know ha! I do have a ceramic heater but it doesn't remove smoke ;-( ugggh I guess I could stop smoking and eliminate the issue. Thanks guys!

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
Old 09-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I probably should keep out of this, because I don't have the second A/C, but I don't think the Fan Option does anything more than circulate the air. I'll stand to be corrected, but you might do better to look into something like a Fantastic Fan for your bedroom, if you really want to exhaust air.

OntMont (John and Donna)
2005 Montana 3670RL
2007 Silverado "Classic" 3500 DRW 4x4 CC D/A.
2001 Border Collie to ride herd on us.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
The optional heat strip in the second AC put's out only 9,500 BTU a little more that a couple of MATCHES. For a lot less money you can go to wally world and get a small ceramic electric heater that puts out 15,000 BTU. You will be a lot happier.
safe travels John H

2005 Dodge 3500 4x2 Dually Cummins Diesel, Line X /2005 Montana/""MOC TRAVEL ASSISTANCE VOLUNTEER"" ""TOPEKA, KANSAS AREA"" 3650RK
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A second on that A/C unit not exhausting, it just runs the air through that worthless filter, it's just mixing the smoke with the air being sucked into the unit.
Hey, John, you Two are looking Spiffy, see you Tuesday!
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave (Montana Sky) had a heat strip added to his 2nd A/C this spring, I believe. He would be able to input when we comes back online.

I have been thinking of doing this, too, but I can agree with the noise that unit this puts out - even on low. Not sure I want to try to sleep with it running. I believe that Dave did mention that it does not put out much heat...

If you run a ceramic heater in the BR, where are you placing it? On top to the dresser (3400)? Down in the corner under the TV? Where?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
I have heat strips in the bedroom a/c. If the dealer didn't throw it in for free, i would not have it. not much heat for the cost. It will take the chill of the bedroom, will not do much when it is real cold. a portable heater will do a better job.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Allison,
I have the heatstip in my 2nd a/c and LOVE IT!! I would highly suggest anyone having a 2nd a/c installed to add the heatstrip. You can re-coup the additional cost in propane savings over the 1st winter.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:57 AM   #12
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Allison,
I have the heatstip in my 2nd a/c and LOVE IT!! I would highly suggest anyone having a 2nd a/c installed to add the heatstrip. You can re-coup the additional cost in propane savings over the 1st winter.
Thank you for your reply Montana Sky! I notice that other posters mentioned to purchase a ceramic heater, and that was not the point of me starting this thread...because I have a ceramic heater and can buy more if I want (it's not a $$$ money issue)...especially since my heating cost will definetely be lower than where I moved from. I just wanted to know if someone who had the heat strip installed "overall" liked it. I don't expect that a little heat strip will provide a LOT of heat from the A/C unit...but I do expect that there will be some warmth running out of the blower. In my stick house I only put the furnance on 68 degrees max and I don't need my unit stuffy and hot. I rather have the option to use the A/C for some warmth and recirculation if I need to, not to use it as a sole means to heat the entire bedroom. The strip cost less than $50 (no biggie to me). I just know I've enjoyed using the fan option on the 2nd A/C throughout this summer and can see that the heat option could be just as great. The fan blower noise doesn't bother me...it just sounds like a fan which it is.... nor the draft if there is any...I like air moving and don't like to get stuffy I'm sure I'm on the list a few that like the skylight and the bright LIGHT in the morning....I don't like dark dingy rooms...so I guess I'm a little different and that's why every unit is customized by the owner differently. I don't generally like to use my A/C or too much Furnace heat....as those who camped out last weekend at the RV Rally in Springfield can tell you I didn't use my A/C even though the electric was free with the hookups. I will most likely buy the heat strip and some other things like 3M plastic/tape and everything else I need before winter hits. By the way, I use my fireplace heater in the rear den while on the computer or watching television and it works GREAT in keeping the den warm with the sliding doors closed. I'll be using it until it gets into the 30s. Thank you everyone for your comments. Allison

Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Allison,
While camping last week in Cheyenne, WY the temps reached 45 degrees at night w/ a pretty chilly wind blowing. I had the heat stip going in the bedroom a/c and a small space heater going in the living room. Those two kept the coach very warm, and I love heat and HATE cold!! Back in April while set up on my seasonal site, I ran the furnace 3 days. The rest of the time the heat strip and space heater or fire place did a great job! As I stated in my previous post, I highly recommend getting one for a 2nd a/c.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote