Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
fc5v
Established Member

M.O.C. #3774
You can't take it with you! Can you?

This has probably been covered but here goes.
a question for all the full times . What did you do with all your things? Store them? Sell them? give them away?
Of all things you left behind what do you miss the most?
What would you do differently?
Thanks,

Floyd & Carol Fyvie Durand, Mi.
2006 Montana 3475
2004 GMC 2005HD Crewcab
4X4 - Duramax/Allison

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/MI/Durand.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Durand, Michigan Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/FL/Clearwater.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Clearwater, Florida Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

fc5v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The answer is yes. We stored a few things, gave stuff to the children, had an estate sale and gave alot of clothing to charity. The only thing I would do differenty is to get the estate sale professionals into the mix earlier and I would sell rather than store anything. My storage is cheap at $800 per year. We will never again use what we kept. So sell it and let others enjoy it. So what if they get a really good deal. Termites, moths, silverfish, and decay don't pay you a dime for what they eat.

At our home base, we do have a small corner of the relatives (on the same site) pole barn to store a few containers of seasonal items so that we don't have to haul winter coats all summer, etc.

What I am most happy about is that I no longer have all that stuff to deal with or care for or insure. I don't have to worry about it in the will either. Others can make use of it all. It was sitting on the shelf or in the closet and some of it had been there for 20 years untouched, unused, and forgotten. What a waste!!

For me living simply is very rewarding. Now that stuff doesn't own or rule us. Not everyone sees things as we do. Our attitude makes us good candidates for fulltiming. I didn't even know I had any gypsy blood.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Go to Top of Page

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Stiles hit it right on the head...

We gave a lot to the kids, had a HUGE garage sale over Labor Day weekend and finally sold the remains to a dealer. Till it was all said and done you may as well say we gave it all away as we didn't get near what it was worth BUT we are out from under it. Other than photo albums and some papers we have nothing in storage.

At first there are a number of things that you will miss but I guarantee you after a year or two you are so glad you bit the bullet and got rid of those burdens.

But I wanna be the first to tell ya, Full Timing can be a very tough lifestyle.
Constantly on the move from one state to another. Everyday, waking up in the morning and looking out the window at some beautiful new scenery. Seeing sights you've ain't never seen before. And it you ain't traveling or sightseeing your just relaxing on your patio with your new found friends. It really is a tough life but someone's gotta do it.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I sold my home with all the furnishings, electronics, patio furniture, household accessories, tools, dishes and lots of clothes etc and the buyers told me they were going to give some of the furniture to their kids etc... and my kids got some stuff they wanted. No garage sales no hassles...I closed on a Friday and was set up at the campground on Sunday. I only took what I needed. The only thing I miss (i guess) is a little more counter space in the bathroom...for when i'm putting on my make-up other than that, I have all the things my home had expect a dishwasher....but it's just me so I only have maybe one or two dishes a day max since i eat out of paper plates and eat out. But the #1 thing I don't miss is the headaches A year ago.....being a full-time RVer wasn't really on my mine, but after looking at my future plans and what I wanted to do...this way of life seemed to make more sense than selling my house buying another house in another state not knowing if i plan on staying there or not (and having to do the same thing again) and trying to incorporate travelling. This was the best decision I've made in a long time and I'm a very happy camper Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Sold it, Gave some away, donated a bunch of stuff.
No regrets, We have all we need, and plenty of room, and don't miss any of it!!!!!

[IMG] http://tinypic.com/j8lbg9
.jpg[/IMG]
Rick and Phyllis Trent,
2004 Chevrolet 2500HD/Duramax/Allison,exhaust brake.
2004 Monty 3280RL/slide toppers,sleep comfort bed. Full Timers since January 2006!
Gizmo the dog who thinks he's a Great Dane
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Stiles and Glenn did it a lot the same way we did. Except we have some property in AZ. that our parents live in, so can store the few things we kept.

Once we decided to actually go full time, we gave ourselves about 3 months of prep time before we took off for the sun and turned over the sale of our house to a very good Realtor, who was able to sell the house for what we wanted.

I packed and categorized only the things that were keepsakes from our parents, my China & Chrystal, and my special holiday decorations I wanted to keep, and of course the tools Mel could not do without. We ended up with 31 medium sized boxes and about 6-7 medium sized tools that we will store up north until summer of next year, and then store them with relatives.

We gave our children our best furniture, sold some, and dumped some. We had 1 Yard Sale and what we did not sell we donated to a club who came and packed up everything when the sale was over. And then we were done.

Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner. The freedom is incredible. What you have to remember most is that all the stuff you think you can't do without is just that....STUFF.

Enjoy your full timing experience to the fullest.

Joy

Mel & Joy (1935)
Marysville, WA.
2002 GMC-Duramax/Allison
2004 3575RL

Our home is where you find us.

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Marysville.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Marysville, Washington Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
When we made the decision to full time, we told the kids to pick what they wanted. Anything left would be given to Goodwill or taken to the land fill. Clothes all went to the Goodwill. We are closing in on one year of full timing, and haven't missed anything that we had in our "stick" house. We kept what was important to us (Basket of Hope for Karen((seven year breast cancer survivor)) and pigs for me.) We wouldn't do anything different.

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote