Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Solar/inverter installation???

Has anyone had aftermarket solar installed with an inverter on their Montana?? If so, any problems, successes, things we should be aware of?? We want a remote switch inside to activate the inverter...comments and/or suggestions?? Thanks--mikey & ronnilu

ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
There are a couple of folks that have had done or done themselves some major solar additions. One is Gypsy. I'm sure she will be along soon to give you some details. She had a first class system added to her rig. If I were going to add solar I'd go with a system identical or very close to what she got. Very nice setup.

Dave Anderson has also added a very nice setup to his rig. He and his wife Kelly do a lot of boondocking and even have a moderate sized freezer on board! Dave did most or all of the work himself and it is also a first class setup.

Both of these folks plan on being at Quartzite this winter. If you want to meet them and see what they've got that would be an excellent time. I know they both would love to share their experiences, solarwise, with you.

Those are just two that I'm familiar with. I'm sure there are many others that are willing to share also. Stay tuned because I'm sure you'll get lots of info. Good luck and happy travels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ronnilu

Has anyone had aftermarket solar installed with an inverter on their Montana?? If so, any problems, successes, things we should be aware of?? We want a remote switch inside to activate the inverter...comments and/or suggestions?? Thanks--mikey & ronnilu
We had solar panels and inverter along with Lifeline batteries installed two years ago in Lake City, Fl. They were installed by Palmer Energy Systems. You can check them out at http://www.palmerenergysystems.com/. We had 4 panels along with a Pro-sine 2.0 (2000 watt) inverter and 2 Lifeline D8 batteries installed. John Palmer did a very nice job of installing them. They were pricey, but you get what you pay for.

We boondock a lot and we've never run out of electric. We carry a Honda 2000i generator with us when we run into those times when we go 3 or 4 days without any sun. However, even without sun we get a little charge from the panels.

We highly recommend checking into Palmer's for an estimate. Don't be fooled by a lot of hype and extremely low prices from some of the other "experts."
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Thanks to all that responded so far--HamRad, we are still hoping Gypsy & Dave Anderson will respond since you mentioned they might have some specifics. We are new to this site and are pretty impressed so far...Thanks--mikey & ronnilu
Old 10-28-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Sorry for the delay in responding. My system includes 4 - 100 watt AM Solar panels, 2 Lifeline AGM (absorption glass mat) batteries (GPL-8D, 255 amp hours) and a Magnum Energy 100 amp inverter/charger with remote control (ME2012). My generator is the Yahama 3000iseb, which will charge the batteries on cloudy days (or when I've been a power hog) and run the air conditioner. It sits in the bed of my truck.

As mentioned in my other post (there are two parallel threads on this topic), my system was installed by John Palmer, as was Orv and Marge's. I also highly recommend John, as his work is meticulous and fully guaranteed. There's no one in the industry who knows more about solar systems than John. He frequently presents seminars at RV events such at the twice-yearly Escapades. The next one will be the Spring event in Chico, CA April 23-28, 2006. I'm not sure whether John will be there, but he's almost always at the Fall Escapade. Next year it will be in Van Wert, OH - not sure of exact dates, probably late September.

Like HamRad said, I'll be in Quartzsite in January. I'll be there at least 2 weeks, possibly 3. My system will support my life easily for that period. In fact, I could live forever on my solar system, supplemented occasionally by the generator. The only limitation for boondocking is filling up my holding tanks!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Mike & Ronni, I cant add much to what Sharon has said, I did my own system because I also have a solar home. If you are not comfortable with doing it yourself,I suggest what Sharon has said to be the easiest way to accieve solar independance.I do recomend a TRIMETRIC meter, it gives you a running account of your net amperage( you live or die by Amps.) anyway, its fun to stay out in the "boonies" and be totally independant. I guess thats one of the reasons I enjoy Quartzsite so much, hope to see you there, Channel3 @ 12 -2-4 most days---Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Thanks Gypsy and Dave for the information. We have had 2 previous rigs with solar (the 1st was just basic to charge the batteries so we could use the water pump & a few lights at night; the 2nd was supposed to be so we could watch tv & use the microwave for a few minutes, but got a mickey mouse installation that required us to run our power cord from the external receptacle in the rear, around the outside & into the front bay to connect to the inverter. On top of that inconvenience, the microwave sparked so severely we couldn't use it on inverter power. So we ended up with a 2500 watt inverter to basically power the tv. I want a 1st class this time that I can flip on when we hit a rest stop. I agree, it's nice to be able to use your power when you aren't in an RV park. Don't think we will make Q'zsit again this next time. Been there about 5 years in a row now and some close friends are finally retiring. Gonna make plans with them for a bit of an extended trip that hopefully will include the Great North American RV Rally in Florida in April. Again, thanks for the input. When we get everything installed will let you know how things went.