Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Fireman

M.O.C. #4416
Nylon or Teflon pin box disc?

Hello,
Does anybody know anything about the nylon or teflon disk that go on your pin box? I think thats what you call them. I heard that they are nice to have, less grabbing on your hitch when towing. Does anybody recommend them? Again my wife and I just getting started. Thanks.

P.S. When it comes to computers, we are both computer literate.
Sure would like to know how to put pictures on our site like you guys. You guys are all fancy and stuff.

Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Hello Fireman,
I have one of the pads you mentioned. The greatest benefit to me is not worrying about getting grease on me. If it is there I will invariably touch it.

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Fireman,
I love the nylon disk! It works great and no grease! I'm like Thunderman..... if it's there I'll get it all over me --- the grease that is.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Fireman
There is a whole section in FAQ about how to put pictures and change font color, etc. Check it out. Also there have been a lot of posts on how to do it.
As far as the disk, yes we have always used them. We are on our third fifth wheel and used them on all of them.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Another vote for the teflon disk. We have had the same disk for the past three trailers. They just never wear out.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:42 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The other alternative is the one that we just got, which attaches to the hitch itself.

I tried to do the image in the message, but must not have enough java yet, and cannot make it go go.

here is the url, not sure that will work either, but, lets give it a try.

http://tinypic.com/9srlhv.jpg
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:55 AM   #7
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
It worked for me. Looks interesting. I'm sure it works on the same principles. How much was it? The Teflon disks are under 15 bucks last I looked.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
How often do you have to change the Teflon disk?
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:09 AM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
I have had the same one for 6 years.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:19 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Teflon disc, simple, clean, lasts, and best of all does the job!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 AM   #11
RAMBIGSKY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2835
Fireman,
Reference posting photos. I have compiled this information for a couple of posts. Key credit for the below goes to Glen and Steve. I hope it helps.

Adding a picture is so very easy.

First of all you must have the picture you want to use in your computer. If you already have one in your computer and know where it is continue....

Go to tinypic.com/

Click on "Browse" and find the picture you want to use and Click on it

Than click on "Host It"

A new screen will open and your picture is now online.

Toward the bottom of the window you will be given 4 locations..
Link
Tag
Img [ IMG]http://tinypic.com/*****[ /IMG]
Url

The IMG is the tag you will want to copy.

and than Paste this tag into your Profile Signature box

Click on the "Submit" button and

VOILA there you are.

There have been a couple of questions about how to use Irfanview to reduce both the viewed size and the file size. For those who don't want to ask, hopefully the following will help. Don't hesitate to ask questions when help is needed. That's how we all learn.

-----
Irfanview -- This is not as difficult as it appears.

1. open picture in irfanview (file/open).
2. Image / Resize/Resample
here's the settings on mine - just need to set these the first time
- check Resample (better quality)
- Lanczos Filter (slowest) -- it's not really slow
- Preserve aspect ratio

3. Either select one of the standard sizes on the right
or
Select Set New Size. If you do this one, then set the following
- 72 dpi (use 72 or 96 for viewing on a screen or 300 for printing)
- Units:Pixels
- put in either the width or the height you want. The other will fill in automatically (to preserve the aspect ratio).
4. Click OK and it should resize it for you.
5. File/Save As
- JPG-JPEG Files in the Save As Type box
- on the box on the right (JPEG - GIF Save Options) select the quality level you want. The higher the number the larger the filesize and longer to load on a slow connection. 30% sometimes looks ok. 50% usually looks good. If not, bump this up about 5% at a time until you are satisfied with the result. Rarely will you need to go above 65% to 75%. You'll want to give the picture a unique name then click the Save button so you can go open it and see how it looks. You can then come back and save with different quality amount if you want. I tend to use names that tell me the settings I used. For example, if the picture was originally named "picture.jpg" then my first resize attempt I might name "picture-640-30.jpg", which tells me I resized it to width 640 and 30% quality.

RAMBIGSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:41 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fordzilla,

about $50.00 installed. The "haulers" use them. you know, the guys that pick up our rigs in Indiana and haul em to ya, say in South Dakota or Texas, or Michigan, etc. We saw in Indiana, found at least 2 haulers that had them installed, one had some wear, but he was still going down the road with it. Benefit, don't have to worry about losing it. Benefit, with the Isolator, we find it is MUCH easier to hook up. Had problems when we had the pad that went on the king pin. (if you do a search on the word, "painful" and allow for 60 days, you will find my post when we had installed, and more specific details)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:33 AM   #13
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have one. It has been on our 2003 and 2005 trailers for over 3 years. I had to trim off the front of the disk flush with the pin plate. We have one of the new reese 18K Signature hitches and it instructs us to come in low and slide up on the hitch plate. The Teflon pad kept poping off before I could get the pin attached to the hitch. By trimming of the front square with the plate, it goes on correctly. And stays in place till the next time I hook up.
Ken and Velda (love this spell check)
MOC 345
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC Crew cab Duramax with edge
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #14
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
I have the teflon disk. I don't know about making the ride smoother or anything.... I got it because grease always jumps off and attacks me. So far, the teflon disk has behaved and hasn't ruined my shirt. Oh yeah, it is cheap, easy to use, and it WORKS!
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:28 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the teflon disk and wouldn't be without it or the one Countryguy talks about. Otherwise you have to keep the hitch saddle and pinbox greased. They seem to last for years, even when fulltiming. The only time I "had" to replace one was when the fingers that hold it in place loosened up and it wouldn't stay on. I think my kingpin stabilizer 'can' may have contributed to that problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote