Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Stier's RV So. Calif.????

Anyone know anything about this dealer? New? Got an ad in the mail from them today. They sell Montanas as well as some of the other Keystone products. Have an ad for a 2006 3000 MSRP $49,329 Sale $39,986. Sounds like it has most of the extras. How is service?
Happy trails.....................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That's like 19% off MSVRP..Does not qualify for a reply...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sue are you looking for a new Montana?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Doug
No I'm looking for a good service dealer. I thought the only So. Calif. dealer was Thompson who has a bad reputation for service (length mostly). Just thought I would throw the price out to see the reaction. Not so good I guess.
Happy trails....................
Old 11-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Sue, I had a very mixed experience with Stier's last April. In the end, I had to have most of their work re-done later.

The best service I've gotten was in Indiana, unfortunately since it's a long way from you in California. Fox RV was a really terrific service center. They involved me in everything they did, explaining why they couldn't fix some things, and showing me how they fixed others. They were more than fair and great to deal with.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I had some work done by Stier's in Feb. OK experience. The Service Mgr I delt with later moved over to another Stier's location (off of Hwy 58). He did good work for us. I found prices comparable to other locations. They did all they could re coordinating warranty work from Keystone and also the individual component mfgr(s). Their work was on time, and with consideration for our "full timer" situation. Not at all like my sad Thompson experience in late '03.

The obvious drawback is distance to travel to get to Stier's and, depending on your location, hauling down then back up the Grapevine. Tehacapi Pass is a bit better, but still a long and difficult haul.

You might want to talk to STC Performance, recently moved to Norwalk...they are the folks who do a lot of tow vehicle upgrades. They also do RV work...it won't be cheap, but I do trust them.

Hope all that is of some help..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:06 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Everyone,
Mike Stiers started his RV business here in Bakersfield many years ago. He has done well and kept expanding his business. But he is just a local businessman. About a year or so ago a group of businessmen bought Stiers. Actually they bought the right to use his name. Mike has control for a certain number of years then it goes completely corporate!

The group that bought the rights to Stiers also purchased or already owned many other RV outfits around the country. Mostly in the west and southwest. So they re-named their other outfits Stiers.

We got the flyer this week also. So many of the RV dealers that were some other name now will be simply a part of Stiers. I'm guessing they will have the same problems in the same places that they've always had problems and good service will still be provided in those places where they have always provided good service. It will take a few years for things to "shake out". But with a large corporate process in a business like this I'd think things might go downhill for a while. Hopefully not but chances are they will.

So those of you NOT living in or around the Bakersfield area you will be dealing with the same RV business you've always dealt with but now they are called Stiers. Good luck to us all.

By the way it's my understanding that Mike got $20 million plus for the "rights". Plus he has continuing complete control over his original plant here in Bakersfield for 5 years. He is still boss and gets all the "loot". This is all third hand info so do not take it to the bank! But things are starting to play out in Corporate World Stiers..... as witness the recent flyer.

Later, Happy Travels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #8
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Hi Sue,
Beaudry's in San Marcos has a pretty decent service department and they are a Montana dealer as well. Chuck Gilbert is the Service Manager and a straight-shooter. Right now, there is a two week backlog on getting appointments. While talking with a service advisor, he told me when you call to make an appointment, tell the scheduler that you want to pick up the coach either the same day or within 3 days depending on how much work you need done (assuming they don't need to order 'special parts') otherwise it sits on the lot 6 or 7 days after your appointment date before they start working on it. I have to get that wheel recall taken care of and some other small stuff so I called---actually stopped in after work, and made an appointment for 12/5 to drop off the unit after work and was told it will be done on the 6th. so I can pick it up after work. San Marcos is a heck of a lot closer than Bakersfield....! Beaudry's is right off of the 78 on San Marcos Blvd....probably an hour maybe an hour & 1/2 depending on the traffic from Hemet.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:50 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
patodonn
We never do the grapevine. We have been using the 15 to 395 to 58 route for years. We have made hundreds of trips between Northern and Southern Calif. and use that route even when not towing. It is very popular with RVers and trucks. Yes Bakersfield is a bit far to go for service.
Thomas
I think you have mention Beaudrys before and I have that information down if we need Keystone help. We are out of warranty do unless it is something we think Keystone would help with we can use our local people. Just like to have all our ducks in a row just in case.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Happy trails.................