Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Brake Controller

I currently have a bas model Envoy Brake controller by Tekonshia. It works well, but I am alwasy adjusting it to get it just right. I was looking at upgrading to the Prodigy, but am looking for some info and experiences with that, and other controllers before I do buy a new one. Any information would be great. Thanks

Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I upgraded to the Prodigy a year ago, and I have been very satisfied. The braking is smoother than before, and the diagnostics of the unit are also helpful. The extra dollars seem well spent.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #3
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Was the install just a matter of unpluging the old controller and wiring the harness to the new one and plugging it back in?
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We also have a Prodigy, and I am satisfied with it. I have heard from a supposed expert on towing RVs that the Jordan is even better, but I have no personal experience with it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had a Prodigy until last week and think it's one of the best aftermarket brake controllers available. Set it and forget it. Works in reverse, too. We traded for a truck that has the controller built in and left the Prodigy in the tradein or I'd offer you a really good deal on it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #6
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I have a Tekonsha Voyager. It works well enough but can be a little grabby sometimes. I belong to another discussion forum where the Prodigy and the Jordan get the best reviews. I'd go to the Prodigy next since the Jordan has to be mechanically connected to your brake pedal.

What I'd really like is disc brakes on the trailer but Keystone has confirmed to me that they have no plans for that. Interestingly enough I see Hitch Hiker (Nu-Wa) being offered with disc as an option.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chester, I understand Montana is coming out before too long with a new line that is purported to be a fulltimer's rig. Probably a step up from our Montanas. I'd bet that one will have disc brakes as an option. I've heard November for an intro date but don't know that for sure. Anyone know?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Would that be the Big Sky replacement they talked about at the rally, Steve?

We also have the prodigy. Had the voyager with the TT and insisted on the Prodigy when we bought the Montana. No regrets, nothing to adjust, great unit for only a few dollars more (was that a movie?). Don't know anything about the Jordan. With initial setup, the Prodigy was installed by the dealer, but I don't think its that difficult. Of course, I like to do statistics, too.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:32 PM   #9
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
There are 3 aftermarket brake controllers that are far superior to anything else on the market:

Tekonsha Prodigy [Inertia Sensor]
Jordan Ultima [Mechanical Connection]
BrakeSmart [Hydraulic]

The Jordan and the BrakeSmart provide proportional braking (the harder you press on the brake pedal the more braking signal that is sent to the trailer's brakes].

The Jordan is activated by a steel cable that attaches to the brake pedal while the BrakeSmart requires that a sensor be inserted through a hole into the Master Cylinder.

From published descriptions, the BrakeSmart (or a clone) is now being offered as a "factory" option on the 2005 Fords.

The Tekonsha and the Jordan are about the same price while the BrakeSmart runs considerably higher.

All 3 do a good job and each has its dedicated adherants.

When I bought my Jordan the BrakeSmart was just coming onto the market and had no "track record". There was, and is, the not-so-minor issue of the warranty on my truck's ABS which specifically states that it is void in the event of any modification of any part of the braking system.

Pick any of the three - you'll be happy with it.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:13 PM   #10
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
I've got a prodify, it works great. Check out pricing online it can vary up to $30. It plugs in the same as your old unit, you can cut and splice the wires or get a new harness with the controler. The Jordon uses a cable from the pedal and is a little trickier to instal but is a fantastic controler.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, yes, that's the one I'm thinking about. One of the Keystone reps told me about it. I asked if it's ok to talk about on the forum and he said yes. I didn't find out much about it, though.

I agree with jerryb about searching online for a better price. I bought ours that way and ended up getting it from a place in MO for $109. That's back when they first came out and were higher priced than now even.

A quick search for 'prodigy brake controller' on froogle.google.com turned up this link where you can buy it for $109.69. I didn't check shipping costs or to see if they take plastic.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ontrollers.htm
Old 10-29-2004, 07:18 PM   #12
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We bought a Prodigy on the last day of the rally and installed it right there. It is a huge improvement over the Voyager. Not only does it brake better and work in reverse, it also shows you how much power is being applied and has a mechanism to display error messages if there is a problem with the brake system.

At the time, it was on sale at Camping World for $129.95.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:18 AM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We also have the Prodigy for 3 years love it
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 03:34 AM   #14
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
I also have a Prodigy controller.

I liked the advances over the voyager controller that I had,despite this problem.

The last time we went out with the Monty it started getting dark, automatic headlights went on, and I started dragging trailer brakes.
(I did not make the connection that it was the lights)

We left the campground in daylight and no further problems.

Yesterday I brought Monty in for minor warranty items. While under way, turned lights to check power cord connection (running lights etc), and almost stopped short . With the parking or headlights on there is power going to brake controller whichin turn activates the brakes.

I mentioned this to the trailer dealer and he said "truck problem" -brake controller just plugs in. I 'll have to take the truck in for service and see if they can solve the problem. The truck was ordered pre-wired for trailer wireing.

It will be a couple of weeks before I can get the truck in for service.

Rich

04 2955RL 04 GMC 2500HD D/A EC SB Super Glide 16K Prodigy controller
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 04:38 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, this is one time I suspect the trailer dealer is correct. Your GMC is probably the same as my Fords and the Prodigy plugs into a plug that's already pre-wired for the controller as part of the tow package. Sounds like a short or misdirected wire somewhere. I'm glad you caught this before it caused any serious traffic problems for you or wore out the trailer brakes. Let us know what they find.