Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
propane regulators why?

i,ve got two no three ? about the propane system
1: when Diane gets up in the morning she starts the coffee percolator on the stove, i'm still in bed and i hear a noise the driver side regulator is making a humm kind of thing, is normal?
2:we have the two 7gal, 55# prop tanks, on the driver side is the 2 tank switching valve and a silver regulator on the output side, now on the passenger side there is a red regulator, what and why?
3: i have a spare 7 gal tank that sometimes works on the Montana, and usually does on the passenger side, so i looked at the quick connect and the ends are different on the driver side it ends with a brass nozel and a small orface, the passenger side hose ends with a open-ish tube---What the?
opps a 4:? looking in the valve of my problem tank there is a rubber gasket or o ring that is tore up, is it replaceable?
mikey

thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
1: Mine hums too but how loud is loud? I don't notice the hum when in my bed and I think I have a similar floorplan with regard to the positioning of the propane and bed but that may be because of the furnace noise being louder. We haven't spent enough time in the rig to try out that configuration.
2: There is a safety reason for the regulator on the passenger side but since these regs can be problematic some owners have removed it, but I wouldn't recommend it. Do make sure it's a 30psi - the factory installs 18psi which is too low and has caused problems - my rig included.
3:Welcome to the fact there are too many standards. I run into the different modes of connectors all the time. You'll find there are numerous adapters but finding the right one can be time-consuming and frustrating, but they are out there. I JUST had to order (not found in stores) replacement hoses for my outdoor BBQ and another different one for my deep fryer.
4: It depends. If it's the tank or a hose then probably not because reinserting the new rubber can cause it to be damaged. If the part just "falls out" and is held in place by a fastener then that one might be able to be replaced. I have not personally seen a rubber gasket or ring for propane that can be replaced. I have bought assemblies or new propane tanks (or replaced via warranty).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
thanks Art

you got to all the ? and i'll figure out the valve
mikey
Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Art - I noticed you said to make sure that the valve is rated for 30lbs and that the factory puts 18lb regulators on. Why 30 ?
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Why is the passenger side reg a safety issue. Mine is an 06 mfged in june of 05 and it didn't come with one and I have never needed one as far as I can tell the only purpose is to be able to open the tank fast without the built in valve in the tank cutting the gas off. I just open mine slowly and no problems. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Why is the passenger side reg a safety issue. Mine is an 06 mfged in june of 05 and it didn't come with one and I have never needed one as far as I can tell the only purpose is to be able to open the tank fast without the built in valve in the tank cutting the gas off. I just open mine slowly and no problems. JMHO
Bobby
X2 on that our 04 did not come with one and we have had no problems at all.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bobby, I agree with what you said. I removed mine and things work better when I am drawing off that side. The main regulator is a two stage that steps down the pressure from the tank to a level that the second stage can regulate to the proper level for the equipment it is running. What you have with the additional regulator is a low pressure regulator trying to drive a high pressure regulator.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
so what are the fittings? a coupling and some yellow tape?

stopped by a prop dealer about tank valve, yes rubber gasket, no he was out and it takes a tool to replace it but at least don't have to get a new valve or tank

mikey
Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Is there a contact at Keystone where we could get an "official" answer to the propane regulator question? Ozz???
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Should be able to get an answer and the part installed by a propane dealer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I can answer #4.
I messed one up on one of my small tanks for my RV, BB-Q. I would always smell propane when I was arround it, I took the tank to Globe Propane in N Long Beach but they would not replace the "O" ring in the valve. they did replace the valve though. P&L 25 or 30 $$'s, of course you might get lucky and find a place to replace the "O" ring tooOH to get that out get a good hooked dental pick and WD-40 it helps to make it slippery when the probe is working,
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
in town the prop guy will put in a new valve for 15$
now i just have to empty the tank so i'll use it to heat the next few days instead of electric
mikey
Old 11-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would not advise working on a regulator, get a new one and replace it. I would use a good pipe dope on fittings, not Teflon tape, yellow or white. Too easy to get some of that tape inside the gas lines, I have dug out tape from fittings and orifices before. If the regulators are working right, they do the job the engineers designed, I personally would leave the system as delivered.
Error on the safe side with propane, it will kill you and your neighbors if it all goes south.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Read this thread, has some links to regulators:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f224/red-propane-regulator-10539-3.html
Ozz...or if you Geocache...OzzOzz
Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz I must be ok then because mine came from keystone without the red regulater. Maybe the later models are different there is alot of new stuff on them that I don't have "wish I did". I have got to the point that I don't post on alot of the newer units because I don't have those things on my rv.JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I know what you mean Bobbie, I don't have many of the gizmo's either. You probably have a combo regulator, 2 stage regulator, or just a good high to low pressure reg.
It would be interesting to get the numbers off of it and check to see what it is.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #17
MrLeavingAK
Established Member

M.O.C. #10603
I had tons of problems when my tanks were (Auto) switching from passenger to drivers side in our 2011 347LBQ, especially if I was running my prop generator. Had to change regulator, 18 to 30, as well as the pigtails. Now runs like a charm! Good luck. Was very frustrating.
MrLeavingAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
well this week i'll try to put up pix of male coupling ends--- defenatly different
mikey