Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Dometic LW3000 Plus Generator

This is a new unit. I can buy one for cheap. It has a 30A plug and breaker, but is only rated to deliver 21.6A (me doing the division). It seems obvious that a 20A beaker would be insufficient, so they went up one step (but I've been wrong before...just ask Kathy). Dometic's literature says it will run a 13.5kBTU AC unit. I should be able to run the stock 15kBTU AC unit once I install the hard-start capacitor I hope to pick up Friday, plus a couple of other low-current items in the coach, e.g., the power converter. It doesn't have an interface for a parallel cable, though. I presiume that, if there was a version with a parallel cable, that two units could supply 43A, which would exceed the capacity of a 30A TT power cord, so there would have to be some special parallel arrangement with a two pole 50A cable, like the standard Monty cable. So not sure how important this will be. Should I wait? Any thoughts or experience?

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sounds like it is similar to other 3000 model generators that can also run an A/C unit (usually on 20 amp circuits). You'll still need to be concerned about power management because there's always a limit of some kind.

Someone else just posted a topic on needing a "bonded" adapter. You'll need to check if you need one with this generator (maybe the generator is already doing the "bonding").

I'll just have to search the internet and check this one out. Thanks for posting about its existence. Generators are coming out of the woodwork, what with all the disasters and needs for portable power. Even my two little Hondas have bailed others out of their scrapes. No doubt, they are nice to have.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Update: the Dometic genny runs a bit rough sometimes, but with the addition of the HSC for the AC, runs the AC well enough. My complaint is that the tank holds about 4-6 hours of fuel, so I have to get up in the middle of the night if we want power. I haven't timed the tank under full load, like AC on a hot day/night, but I bet that the tank runs dry sooner.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote