Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
And now for the latest in warrantee work...

My sig describes my truck.

During the past couple of oil changes (I do them myself now), I noticed a very tiny mess of oil between the trans and the engine. At each change, I'd clean it up real good, then at the next change I'd notice the dampness once again. Finally, after the last oil change I started seeing drips on the driveway. AHHH!!! I hate that mess but knew it was time for a visit to service.

Coincidentally, the temperatures where I live plummeted to 15 to 35 degrees every night. Starting the truck in the morning was terrible. It would crank a little longer than normal and would run real rough like it was spitting, missing and the like. It would warm up relatively quickly and all would be well, until the next time I started it up after a cold night (I know, I know, those temps aren't that cold, but they are for me).

Took the truck in. They found a leak at the rear seal and fixed it free of charge ($100 deductible). They summarized by saying "These engines (6.0 PSD) have been known to have this problem." This is not something you tell a retired Quality Engineer.

The second problem was solved by reprogramming the computer per a TSB for cold starting. Unfortunately, my warranty did not cover electronic programming so this cost me an additional $79 and so far the problem had not occurred.

I bring these up just to inform others. I didn't like knowing I have a problematic seal problem and thought I could be more lucky than that. What's to say, they have fixed this, if the factory got it wrong so this went wrong? What's up with that? Yes, there are Ford haters that might pipe in, but every truck brand and/or model has its "known to have that problem" story, so the point is not to start the bashing, but to understand how to prevent problems?

As for the reprogramming that cost me almost $80, why did this truck never have the problem until 6 winters later? I lived here for all about 10 months of owning this truck when I bought it new in April, 2006. And the fix is to reprogram the engine computer? I fear this is a temporary (and cheap) fix and that the next problem will be something worse (like an injector or two) and I hope I still have a warranty in place.

I do plan to get another warranty plan for the truck. If you remember I asked about this late last year and I've opted to re-warranty my TV.

Thanks for listening. I got off cheap and have had very good luck otherwise. It's been a great drive and ride so far and I hope it continues. This is the only problems I've had with it.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I do not care what brand you have something is going to go wrong. My 05 D/A has had a problem with trowing off turbo hoses. Hope I have it fixed.

Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Art,
Since most modern vehicles are now electronically controlled whether via an on board computer or flash chip(s), they are subject to updates just like you home PC. These corrections (TSBs)are not uncommon. I've even had them done on my truck when it wasn't exhibiting any problems. Your truck is a complex mechanical device and issues can manifest themselves after a period of time due to wear, deposit accumulation, etc. Take your pick for the reasons.
I'm happy for you that your repair bill was so low. Others are not as fortunate.
BTW, if the temps get that low again, consider plugging in your built in block heater if you have one. I do it whenever it gets below 40 degrees. My truck starts right up and the engine comes up to operating temp faster which translates into heat in the cab sooner (I really like that).
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
All trucks seem to have some kind of a "design flaw" that the manufacturers don't seem to want to fix and they never tell you about it. My old Dodge has been a terrific truck with the exception of the lower ball joints. There is a "design flaw" in that they wear out in no time at all. I have had to replace them twice now within 60,000 miles. This last time I had my mechanic (not a Dadge dealer) put in aftermarket joints that can actually be greased and that should last. This brings up my biggest complaint which is if the dealers are aware of this kind of flaw then why is it they replace the bad joints with equally bad oem joints when there are alternatives out there? Hmmmm....could it be the repeating maintenance that they like? :-)
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
When I bought my first Ford 150 truck some years ago it did not have any grease fittings on it. I asked about that at the dealer and the service said "you know they make new front end parts." Never had to replace any front end parts and it was a great truck. My new Chevy 3500 has grease fittings on it-I was glad to see them. All trucks have there problems sooner or later.
mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 on the old Dodge ball joints. Why should the consumer find out about a design defect when they have to buy a new set of tires. I would have gladly paid for the ball joints after a certain milage if I could have saved the cost of the tires!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dick don't feel bad I know a guy that has a 2011 Dodge Cummings that the ball joints went bad on. This truck has never been abused, dirty or off the road, and only has about 10,000 miles on it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I don't have the plug for the engine heater for this truck (it was on the prior truck). I'll probably have to buy one to help prevent this problem. This brings up a couple of points...

When something works for almost six years and then starts to fail, that tells me something is going wrong. Fixing it with a NEW program is hiding what's going wrong - so that it will fail BIG many years later and when it's not under warranty.

The extended warranty mostly covers mechanical stuff, not electrical stuff like reprogramming a computer. Since vehicles are becoming more dependent on internal computers and these go bad or need to be reprogrammed, isn't the warranty kinda useless? Better yet, if so many problems can be "fixed" by a computer upgrade and they exclude this from warranties then they have now found a great moneymaker for themselves. That's the part I don't like. Being in the computer industry for over 30 years, I know what it takes to reprogram a part and it costs pennies, not $80. As for replacing an electrical component, it's a matter of releasing a clip and removing a socketed component then putting a replacement back in and reclipping... again not a $100 task. This possibility should be under warranty.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Art,
I don't think reprograming just costs "pennies". That technician doesn't work for free. Count the time spent bringing diagnostic equipment over hooking it up, doing the diagnostics and then the reprogram all takes time.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Until I read mlh's post I thought the Dodge lower ball joint problem must be on the older ones. Our 2007 has 83k on it with the original ball joints and excellent tire wear. Nothing unusual at all about the tire wear or handling. So is the 2011 problem a fluke and it was the older ones where this was a common problem? I would think if mine had that problem it would have shown up well before 83k miles. I'm hoping the 2011 was a fluke.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Steve I don't know if it was a fluke, but I would think so. I think this truck came from the factory without greese in the U joints, but I'm not sure of that. At any rate I can't believe they are all like that or we would have heard about it.
Lynwood
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ah, yes, that sounds like a screwup somewhere along the line. Like you, if it were other than that I'd think there would have been a recall. I guess I can rest easy. For now, anyhow. Thanks for the update, Lynwood.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Sure Steve, we should keep each other informed with out brand bashing. Thats not to say we can't have our favorites, we should. We should all buy what is best for us. That way we all have the best truck.
Lynwood
Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Art, keep on trucking! Hope your truck has no further issues.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
My 96 came with the ones that don't have the grease fitting and they went out at about 150k so I was told by a good mech to put moogs in it. they are made in sc and suppose to be the best? they do have the fittings and were heavyer looking that the factory ones.JMHO BTW the ujoints came without fittings also seems to me they should have grease fittings in all jts.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
you gotta quit thinking Bobby. That kind of thinking will put their service department out of business. Where have you been the last 30 years or so? Our society has shifted to throwaway everything. Judging from the young folks today, I think husbands and wives are throwaway too.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I understand that while the computer operation requires a technician's time and effort, I didn't have to pay for the technician who had to repair the rear seal. I'm saying I shouldn't have to pay for the technician who had to reprogram a computer if I am sold a "bumper to bumper" Warranty. Since a computer is needed to run the engine which is covered in the warranty and there was a bug in the program in order to fix my cold start problem that had never occurred the previous 5 years of cold weather (I have not moved in all that time) I should NOT have had to pay for this, either. There is a difference between wear and tear items (brake shoes, lights, etc.) and stuff that should not fail but does and that's why I have a warranty.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Doesn't the print, fine or otherwise, in the warranty specifically include or exclude reprogramming the computer?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Art, I think you may be on to something. I suspect they've got a little programing there to cover perhaps an injector issue until you get out of warranty, and the injectors completely fail. Then the big bill is out of your pocket!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #20
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
My neighbor bought a Ford with the 6.0 psd. He bought it for around $10,000 with 100,000 miles and has had terrible luck with it. Turbo, Injectors etc. He now has over $10,000 in parts and labor. Ford did let him buy a extended warranty for the next 100,000 miles.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote