Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Slide hitch questions

Going to be cleaning the runners on my side hitch and was wondering what you all use to clean the runners and rollers on your slide hitches? I've been thinking of using carb cleaner and brake cleaner to get the crud off.

Also would like to know what you put on them once crud is cleaned off? I've thought of using either the white lithium grease or silicone spray on them so the slider will slide like it is suppose to when I need it to but not sure which would be better or if these two are even the right thing to use! I do have several cans of the slide lube I use on the Monte's slides also. Wondering if that would be better than the two above?

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Rondo,
You don't say what type of hitch you have. I have a Pullrite super glide. They recommend cleaning with brake fluid, then a light sanding. i use slip plate witch is a dry graphite spray. It doesn't pickup dirt and stays clean. I usually do a light coat after towing and pull the hitch annually, remove a clean the rails and reapply slip plate.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Most of the time i scrape off the loose stuff and use brake cleaner spray. This year I used brake fluid first then the spray worked really well. I use the dry lub spray SlipPlate. Doing the fluid and spray I only had to touch up the tube a couple times. I have a Pullrite hitch so I also do the inside of the part that slides on the tubes. I tried grease once, collects too much dirt and road grime.

Kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sorry about not saying the type of hitch I have! It's a Reese Slider 16K. I think I need to clean it off first then put the lub on. I'll pick up some SlipPlate and try it before we head out for our little adventure to WARM country!
If anyone else has any suggestions, please fire away!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have a Superglide and I clean the rails with brake cleaner. I too use Slip Plate now which I find much more user friendly than the lithium grease.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Rondo, I have the same hitch and use WD-40 about once a year to lube everything. Have never had the crud build up because, when I'm not towing, the bed is covered. I also have the orange teflon plate on the hitch. If it has been a while that the hitch isn't used, I spray it with WD-40 and wipe it off to remove any grit that may be on the surface. Since I have the spray can in my hand, I go around and "hit" the rollers and latching system.

This may not work for everybody but, it seems to for me.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We have the superglide as well but use the grease ..clean it every year with brake cleaner or carburator cleaner...and spray with a dry lub I use on the saw tables etc..works great for the mechanism..where do you buy the slipplate spray from??..Pullrite or somewhere else?..this winter would be a good time to change over from the grease....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Stan & Emmy,
I couldn't find it locally so I initially ordered from our local Grainger store but they sent me the wrong type. The best way I found is from slip plate direct, www.slippate.com. The specific page is http://www.slipplate.com/index.php?m...&products_id=4. I bought the 6 -12oz cans for $62.00

Ken
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I just checked with my brother and he uses Slip Plate all the time on farm equipment and his gravity wagons on the farm. Besides Grainger stores if you have a TSC (Tractor Supply) near you or a Bomgaars, which are both farm supply stores they stock Slip Plate. Both stores stock Slip Plate and have them in spray cans and in the larger quanity cantainers like quarts, gallons and more. I'm heading for TSC to pick some up for myself. It is suppose to lube the slides, chains and etc. without attracting dirt or dust which gums up the items. My brother uses the Slip Plate on the gravity wagon decking to make the grain flow out of the wagon easier also and there is plenty of dust when you harvest the grains from the fields and dump them into the wagon. I'm planning on using it on the slide rails also under each slide on the Monte besides the slide hitch.
Dale-- I used to use WD-40 on my hitch also and fouond out it attracts dust and holds it. I know you are our resident expert on the slides but I'd check out the use of Slip Plate instead of the WD-40. JMHO and not from an expert.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Rondo,
Slippate makes a dry chain lube that is not recommended for our application on the slider hitch. That is what Grainger ordered for me. When I received it I called both Slipplate and Pullrite to ask if it was ok to use and they said no. Checkout the slipplate website. It shows both products.

Ken
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ken-- I agree with you about the chain lube that they make but they do make a spray on that can be used on both the hitch plate and the slides of the hitch! I use the white disc on my pinbox and use a small amount of slide lube on the plate but the silicone disc works well for the hitch itself. What I'm more concerned about is the slidebars that the hitch moves on when and if I need to move the hitch back in the bed of the truck when I need to make any sharp turns in backing into a slot. My slider is pretty dirty and full of grime so I need to clean them and the rollers before heading South in about two weeks! Thanks all for the advice and what you use for cleaning and lubing your slider hitch!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
When I had my superglide all I used was WD40 and it seemed to work well-Pullrite approves of it. I did spray it on a regular basis along with the hitch plate. Good luck
mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 on the WD40. Had Reece reps on the phone when I did my strange hitch switch and asked them at that time. They thought WD40 was fine.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I have a 2010 Superglide hitch and clean the rails with brake cleaner as well. Per manual, I lube the rails with a light oil (3 in 1). Works smooth as silk.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote