Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Installing Onan Generator in a 2955

I want to take the generator out of the back of my truck and put it where it belongs in the nose of my 2955. Its generator prep'ed what ever that means. Can anyone advise me as to what is needed for the install? I have a great running 5500 Onan that just takes up space in the bed of my truck it is set up to run as is but it needs to be some where else. (like in the 5er)
Thanks
Doug

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Doug,
I claim a fully prepped Montana has the "tin" housing for the generator to sit in, the transfer switch wired in and the remote start/monitor panel in the bedroom(nose area). All of this is in the battery compartment. I would guess but have not checked that there is a "T" connection on the propane line to pipe in propane.
If you have all those then I believe all that is needed is to cut out the floor in the tin housing, hook up the power out from the generator to the junction box which feeds the generator side of the transfer switch, connect propane feed and plug in the remote cable. Of course the exhaust need to be routed to the side of the trailer.
This is my opinion based on my older Montana having a generator and this one being fully prepped.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I also have heard from other others, that just because you have the generator prep, doesn't mean that ANY generator might fit. It still needs to fit within the enclosure area. Then there might be venting and exhaust locations to worry about.

Onan 5500 is a common application for RVs and should certainly supply 50 amps quite easily, but some of the ones I have seen are enclosed for sound proofing and I think that the Onan 5500 comes in several "packaging" options. You might want to check that your Onan would fit or can be made to fit in your RV. Then there's the gas or propane option to consider. If your unit is gasoline then you need to consider how to refill it or use an external fuel cell which might be easier to fill.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
acfeldman

M.O.C. #11661
Hi,

Don't make the mistake that my dealer made when they installed my Onan. They used hard copper lines from the T. Use flex lines from the T and that way you won't have leaks every 100 miles. Good Luck.
acfeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Thanks for the help so far the suggestions are well noted
Old 08-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Well I tried this in a 2955 and it didn't work. I bought a used Onan 5500 and thinking that I could do most anything. There is not enough room in the compartment. I even expanded the floor space by a couple of inches. Still to no avail. The generator is now mounted on a cart out in my son's shop used in the winter in case of power outage. I bought 2 Honda 2000ie's and wired them together, plus made a 6 gallon gas tank. This way I can move each of them where I want to and do not have all the weight in the front of the camper. I store them in a custom made tool box in the front of the bed that is only as high as the bed side rails. The box is large enough for 2 gens., 6 gal gas, elecrical hook-up's , and what ever else you want to throw in. Made of Alum deck plate and has a lock.
Then in the back of the truck I have a tool box that is half as high and is as wide as the bed that works ideally for cable storage and tools..... My units (2955) and Onan (5500) were older units so maybe they have given you more room in your unit than mine. Lots of luck on you venture....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Thanks Jack
My 2009 calls for a 5500 so I hope it will fit.
Would love to trade it for a big Honda Florida is to hot to go with out A/C and I could use the portable anywhere

Doug
Old 08-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Deadeye,
Jack I'd love to see some photos of the generator box that you describe. It sounds like a very nice setup you have made. Thanks, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote