Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
5th Wheel Escape platform

For those of you that saw the Fire and Life Safety seminar at the fall rally you may remember that Mac The Fire Guy showed photos of an escape platform that was being considered for manufacture by MorRyde. After many of you sent emails (myself included) MorRyde has decided to send it to engineering. I received the following email from Gary Wheeler at MorRyde yesterday:
Quote:
quote: Mr. McNair, The project is now on the active project list. Given the fact that Eng. is a little slow means that we should have a proto in the near future. Please keep checking with me and I'll keep you updated on the progress. Thanks, Gary Wheeler
This was a very good item and for those of you that haven't seen it it is a slide out platform that attaches to the bottom of the front overhang and slides out and drops a ladder after you have setup. it provides a safe landing zone for your feet if you have to use the bedroom escape window. It is almost 8 feet from the window edge to the ground and if you have to make your escape in jammies and in the middle of the night is would be nice to have a safe platform to catch you prior to that 8 foot drop. This is a direct result of you folks and others emailing MorRyde requesting that they start producing this item... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
With the thing you describe and it's dark and I'm half asleep and scantilly clad, I know I'll still miss the thing and now have extra bumps and bruises in addition to the broken legs.

What they need is a fast inflating rubber(?) ramp like they use in planes. It gets mounted into the sides of the rig under the windows. Then push a button and it explodes into place like an air bag in your car, then out the windows you go..... down the ramp, blindly into the dark and into a rock or tree or vehicle.... you just can't win...

Oh well, I applaud their efforts. I'll stick to my eventual plan of attaching a ladder right under the window which drops to the ground that gets set up during the initial rig set up. The delay is that DW and I think it will be wieldy, unattractive, need lots of 'splaining and just another thing to carry. In the meantime, we keep the medical insurance to get our broken legs fixed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I saw the demo. at the rally and pretty sure I will have one installed when they come on the market. Thanks for the update Dave.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

With the thing you describe and it's dark and I'm half asleep and scantilly clad, I know I'll still miss the thing and now have extra bumps and bruises in addition to the broken legs.

What they need is a fast inflating rubber(?) ramp like they use in planes. It gets mounted into the sides of the rig under the windows. Then push a button and it explodes into place like an air bag in your car, then out the windows you go..... down the ramp, blindly into the dark and into a rock or tree or vehicle.... you just can't win...

Oh well, I applaud their efforts. I'll stick to my eventual plan of attaching a ladder right under the window which drops to the ground that gets set up during the initial rig set up. The delay is that DW and I think it will be wieldy, unattractive, need lots of 'splaining and just another thing to carry. In the meantime, we keep the medical insurance to get our broken legs fixed.
ART, You are just TOO DARNED FUNNY!!! ROFLMAO

Actually I like your idea, but I wonder how many more 1,000s of $$$$$ that will set us back. I love many of the MODS our group has come up with, however, if they were all incorporated into our Montanas, they may not be "the best bang for our buck"!!!

Maybe Keystone can incorporate these, and many other changes, into a Luxury Edition Big Sky, maybe call it a "Great Sky"......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote