Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
FRONT LEFT JACK WILL NOT GO UP OR DOWN!

Hi all

Front left jack will not go up or down. the motor runs, the bar rotates, ,the top gear rotates ,the bottom does not, I don't think it does, I did not stick my finger into it to find out(ha ha)
I called the dealer and all he would say is sounds like a bad jack, bring it in and we will put a new one in at $85 per hr plus $300 for parts , so to the group I come any help would greatly be appreciated!!!!!!

David , in beautiful Coeur D Alene,Idaho.

bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You could remove that jack and take a look inside the gear underneath may be missing some teeth or the pin under it that drives the shaft may be broken. If you need parts contact Venture
http://www.venturemfgco.com/rv-landi...cessories.html
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This topic should help you.
In my first post on the above topic is a link to a slide show of the leg repair.

The two 45 degree gears have pins through them. The one with the worm gear is just a pin and I think it is busted.

You can contact Venture and get there replacement kit for about $50.

I hope this helps.

Let us know what you find.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
John&Charlie

Thanks so much, through the links got what I needed.
Went out took a good look, the pin is sheared off.

Next Question ,does it help to have two motors or is it a waste?

thanks David
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The shearing of the pin does not indicate a need for a second motor. I do not like the idea of two motors because I think it makes it awful easy to twist the frame by not running them in full synchronization. The Monty front legs are not designed to level side by side.

I have heard of a couple of situations where the second motor was used to ease the lifting of Monty because one motor keep blowing fuses.

I would look for the worm gear being stiff. David and Joanna had one bind up from lack of lubrication.

Make sure you can extend that leg that has the busted pin by about 20 inches. That will ensure it is fully functioning.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
My shear pin broke also and John's picture and tips help me a lot in replacing it. I think I was retracting mine too much. I put tape around the leg to give me about 1/2 inch warning so I didn't over retract it. No problem since. Thanks again John.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
Before you spend anymore money, check to ensure your warranty has run out. I believe the warranty for these jacks is for 3 years. Take your VIN number and call the mfg, not Keystone.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Everyone's experience is different, ours is, and we LOVE our 2nd motor for the front legs.

I have been told that many of the larger units have 2 motors, I thought I heard that some are even coming from the manufacturers that way, but, you know, should not trust the ole gal's memory, it tends to leak.

John's concern about getting the unit in a twist is not to be taken lightly, but, I trust CountryGuy's diligent care during this part of Tana set up. Note: That both motors can be run at the same time and he tells me that he checked to be sure that they were indeed running in complete sync. In other words, they both raise the same amount, so when both switches are engaged at the same time, both sides of the trailer go up equally, the legs extend equally.

Our fix of adding a 2nd motor was not cheap, but, it has solved the problem of the click click click, and now we don't have to worry that Tana and Big Butt will mate for life, errrr, we know we can get Tana unhooked from Big Butt.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
bikefever
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9158
We are having the same problem that bear reported on our 3455. Problem is that we do not have a truck to relieve weight off of the jacks. How do you jack up the left front to remove weight to inspect and repair as necessary.
bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You might try a bottle jack. After jacking I put blocks under the trailer in case the jack leaked down
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bikefever

We are having the same problem that bear reported on our 3455. Problem is that we do not have a truck to relieve weight off of the jacks. How do you jack up the left front to remove weight to inspect and repair as necessary.
I would use Charlies recommendation but use two bottle jacks one on each side to jack evenly so you do not torque the frame or damage the good landing let. Please use jack stands for safety.

Good luck and let us know what you find.