Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Full Timing & Knee Replacement

Having a knee replacement on June 28th. The dr. is questioning whether I can go through recovery in a 5th wheel. Have any of you done this? What kinds of issues need to be addressed?
Myrna

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Carol had her knee replaced 1 1/2 years ago. We are longtimers and so put off our travels until a couple of months after the surgery. The biggest problem will be the stairs. It would have been almost impossible for her to climb into and out of the rig. Descending hills and steps is much more difficult than ascending them. If possible, we would highly suggest living where the entrance and exit to the dwelling is more level, at least through your post op physical therapy. If you wish, let us know and we will give you our phone number and you can talk with her. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
No experience with knee replacement.
But Sunrise Decks makes nice looking porches and steps with hand rails that you could consider. Only problem is cost, assembly, and carrying extra weight. Supposedly assembly is not too difficult. Not too bad I guess if you stay in one place for a long time.
Possibly a dog ramp something like a Petstep ramp. We have one for our 13 1/2 year old 80 lb Golden with bad hips. When we camp, it stays set up from the ground to the top step and covering about half our steps sideways. I sometimes walk up and down it at 180 lbs. My son has also walked it at a little over 200 lbs with no problem. Says it is rated for 500 lbs, but I don't think I would trust that without a support under it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I had a knee and hip replacement 5 weeks apart a little over six years ago. Climbing up the stairs to get into the rig would be a challenge and more challenging exiting the rig. My rehab was at home in Yuma and all on one level. Not much of a challenge but I did have one step up.
I would think if you go through rehab at a rehab center after the operation you would stand a better chance because you would be more recovered before you got to the rig.
Getting out of the rig would still be difficult because of the step downs. If you were to misstep or slip and fall you could do a lot of damage. You would need to be very very careful.
It would probably be best if you could lay up a little while someplace flat. JMO
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I agree with all of the above comments. Had my right knee replaced last August and going up and down stairs initially is quite the adventure. I still favor the knee when I go up stairs now, but have no trouble entering or maneuvering around the Monty. As I recall, we hit the road about six weeks after the surgery and release from PT. Between now and your surgery, work out as much as you can to strengthen the thigh and leg muscles. It will make rehab a lot easier.
Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Myrna,
I am in general agreement with what has already been posted. But I believe you can survive in the 5th wheel. It will be a struggle at first but within a relatively short time you should be able to get up and down the stairs both outside and inside.

You will need a "potty" chair or at least I think you would want to have one available for the first couple of weeks or so. If you don't have handrails inside the 5er you should consider getting them installed. Of course it goes without saying that Bob will have to be there at your "beck and call". As if that would be any change....

If it had not been for Mary Kay there to 'assist' me I'm sure I'd never been able to survive. I still have a long way to go but at least I'm still able to go. I had my right hip replaced in '08 and my right knee in '09.

Best of luck to you and you will be so happy when it is done!

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. My preop appt is next week and we will be discussing this in detail. Will let you know about the outcome.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imp

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. My preop appt is next week and we will be discussing this in detail. Will let you know about the outcome.
In 1994 I had a knee replacement. Wasn't living in the RV then. In 2007 I had tho have the teflon replaced because I wore the first one out. At that time we were living in our Montana full time. I had no problem living in the rig or getting in or out. The only thing we did was to put a 2-inch riser under the toilet. Helped a lot. Don't know if you can put a riser under yours. Our toilet is a Thetford Aqua IV.

Do your rehab and you'll do fine. I thought the rehab was harder than the surgery itself. But you have to do it if you want maximum flex in that knee.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Hubby had his right knee replaced a year ago last month. We are full timers. What I did was take pictures of the RV where we thought there would be problems. Took pictures of the steps outside, inside, the toilet area. We gave these pictures to the physical therapist and she gave us suggestions.A good rule of "thumb" is when using the stairs is "the good (foot) goes up and the "bad"(foot) goes down" Like heaven and he.. Of course every recovery is different, due to age, weight etc.He had no problems except having to stop and think the heaven and h... thing. The rehab part as everyone has stated is the most important part of recovery, but I am partial to that as I worked as a physical therapy aid for years.
Good luck!
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
When I had both of my TKRs, each time they had me walking steps in the hospitols phys therapy dept by the second or third day before I was released. I think it had 4 or 5 steps. Start doing quad sets to strenghten quad muscle every day before surgery. Lay on back flat and press back of knees into bed or floor or whatever you lay on and tighten your quads. I've been doing it every AM and PM for 6 years and my new knees are fantastic. Good Luck, Ray P.S. I live at home, one level, but I spent weekends in fiver. It can be done if your good leg is strong enough.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Orv: Thanks for the encouragement. I plan to do the rehab exercises on a daily basis. Chris: the picture idea sounds good. An interesting reference on heaven & hell. Of course you won't forget.. Ray: that is my one concern. My good knee is getting worse as I depend on it more and more. I have been doing some leg lifts and stretching in preparation. Will start on some quads too. Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have seen a TKR in a 5er when I was at Braunig Lake in 07. The PT came to the 5er. He had no problems. As stated, you would use your "good" leg to put it up on the 1st step and pull up the other leg to the same step. Repeat the process. As stated going down, TKR first, then good leg. The reasons are that you will not have the flexibility of the TKR for a little while. You can use crutches to assist you. They will have you walking in the hallway of the hospital the day after surgery. You will most likely be on a passive motion machine that will keep the knee bending, even while you sleep. USE IT.

I had TKR of the right knee last fall. I'm glad I had it done. And yes, the other knee because of the favoring now needs replacement, but I knew that up front when I had the right one done. There is one other problem. Sitting on the pot you will have to sit sideways with your TKR stretched out until you can bend the knee. Think about a riser for the seat to get you up a little higher.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote