Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #21
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
CBTraveler, are you saying your rig sits at a 3 degree side to side angle, in that one side is 5 inches higher than the other? If you measured the 5 inches at the side edges of the rig you are correct about the 8 feet width. I agree with you that seems like a lot. I hope I am understanding your post - please correct me if I'm wrong. Are you able to hook up your rig okay? My hitch head has front to front and side to side angular movement but I don't know how much. In my case I park on my driveway which is almost level side to side, does have a very slight downward slope.

The problem I have is must come in at an angle to hitch up because part of the fence intrudes into the driveway before the gate begins. One of these days I will remove that part, but I will need some big funds to pay for larger gates in my area.

In regards to Waynem's post about the fridge specs I may have to think about the 3 degree sideways limitation when running the fridge. The fridge sits sideways in my rig. In fact, this is the case of most rigs unless there is a rear kitchen and the fridge is at the rear wall of the RV. Using Waynem's information, the fridge could tolerate up to 3 degrees sideways and up to 6 degrees facing frontwards.

Here's the problem. In the west, the interstates often have 4 to 6 degree grades and a fridge sitting sideways in the rig will be out of spec. However most hills don't last long but there are some long ones especially in Alaska and western Canada. I guess if hills are on the itinerary, leave the fridge turned off. Or hopefully the fridge is cold by the and not running at the time of hitting a slope, but who wants to chance it.

Hmmm, I am feeling this last part my post risks being off topic in the "Tow vehicles and towing" category, but somewhat relevant to the "How level does it need to be" subject. Forgive that part of the diversion.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
According to Norcold,l there is no problem when moving down the highway. It is when you are stationary for long periods of time, and long period of time to me is if I'm setting up for a night or more. I do have to admit that for one nighters, level is as you feel it. If it's comfortable to walk in, it's pretty level. Nothing like the human bubble to know when there is a slope.

It is imperative that we all read the manual for our specific type of refrigerator. Most of the manuals are on-line and can be easily accessible. Once you know what your limits are, just go by what the manual says.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I just checked my manual (Dometic) and while there is no mention of actual degree of slope it does state that for long periods (several hours and longer) of being stationary as long as the rig is level in such a way that there is no noticeable slope of the floors and walls, the fridge will be okay - I do use a bubble level. When traveling and parking for a prolonged stop, I always try to find a level spot and don't stay any longer that an hour or so but not just because of the fridge.

The Dometic fridge manual also states that traveling will not harm the rig since the rolling and pitching prevents the cooling ammonia from settling in the evaporator which is what one should try and avoid. The ammonia plumbing actually has a slope to help in the circulation and keep the rig level when stopped for long periods of times prevents these problems. Being unlevel causes the ammonia to settle in the wrong places.

So whenever we park our rigs for long periods, they should be as level as possible wherever they are.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's been my experience in over 30 years of RVing, the last 10 full time, that as long as the refrigerator is within a half bubble with the refrigerator on the side of the rig, it's okay front to back. If the refrigerator is across the back someplace, then the side-to-side leveling of the rig should be within a half bubble. Like Art, we use a small, round bubble level in the refrigerator.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote