Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Wash, Wax and Buff Today

I took the 08 3585SA Monty to a friend's implement shop today to give it the spring wax. I started at nine am this morning with scrubbing the rubber roof with Thetfords Rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. Moved to washing the entire rig and then waxing it by hand with Mequires No. 56 RV and Boat Wax. By the time I wrapped up buffing the Monty it was 4 pm. I am wore out but is it well worth it.

The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Rick -- Come on down to Omaha and I'll let you wash and wax mine too! If you don't have anything going the week of July 12th come on down to Nebraska for the Central Plains Regional Rally. Check out the notice under Rallies by going into All Forums and paging down till you find our announcement! I promise you won't have to wash and wax our unit when you come down! I've got to pull ours out of the mud before I can even think of washing and waxing ours!
By the way, what did you use for the wax on your unit and did you also wax over the decals?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Rondo,

I used Mequires No. 56 RV and Boat Wax and I waxed the decals. I have always waxed the decals with other RV's I have owned and never had an issue. I know they say not to wax them but no one has ever said why. I figure the wax protects the decals from the sun too. Sure made mine nice and shiny today. Besides it would be alot tougher waxing going around the decals. JMO SOunds like fun in Nebraska in July!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Rick for the wax name. We have a 2004 2980 and to tell you the truth I've never waxed ours. Of course we have only owned it for three years. We bought it from a private owner, a friend of ours, who only had it out for abut 4 times and not over a 150 miles on any trip so it was just like new! Hopefully, I'll be able to get to our rig in a month or so to de-winterize and scrub it down. I had foot surgery about a week and a half ago and am hobbling around in surgical shoes for now and for another 2-3 weeks yet, then hopefully will be able to pull it out of the mud and get it ready for some weekends until the Rally in July. We'd sure like to show you some Nebraska hospitality if you're interested in coming down for the Rally. If you decide to just give Pine Grove a call and they will reserve your space, then send me an email and I'll put you on the list of attendees and we'll be all set! Take care and hope to meet you in the near future. IF you have any questions on the Rally, just drop me an email.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Rick, I do pretty much the same as you do at least twice a year. Its a tough job but well worth it. I will say your quicker at it than I am. I start about 8:AM and not done till around 7:PM. I also wax the decals. Never had a problem in the last 30 yrs doing so myself. In fact I raced cars for 31 yrs, and we had decals all over them, and always waxed them......oh but wait, just thought, the fenders and doors didn't last very long. About a season.......well in some instances only one race lol.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Rick, I do pretty much the same as you do at least twice a year. Its a tough job but well worth it. I will say your quicker at it than I am. I start about 8:AM and not done till around 7:PM. I also wax the decals. Never had a problem in the last 30 yrs doing so myself. In fact I raced cars for 31 yrs, and we had decals all over them, and always waxed them......oh but wait, just thought, the fenders and doors didn't last very long. About a season.......well in some instances only one race lol.

Dave
Holy cats Dave, I don't think I could do it twice a year! I am still plenty stiff today yet but you are right, it is well worth it. In the summer I wash it with Thetfords RV wash which seems to work so much better than regular car wash soap. What sort of wax do you use?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wash on, wash off - I'm done.

I wash the SOB every trip. When we had the 3400Rl I washed it every trip. By every trip, I mean when we are on the road and moving and get to stay in one place 4 days or longer.

I seem to be slipping though, so Rick, could you come on down to Corpus Christi and give me a refresher course on my RV? It would be a good exercise for your Montana.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Completely getting a cleaning and a wax, all in the same day is fast IMHO! It would take me several days to do something like that.

On another note, I just got new graphics from Burlington Graphics and they instructed me over the phone not to wax them or even wax near the edge of them. I doubt that it would be noticeable for a while but evidently it can cause a problem with them. I’m going to shy away from waxing them once I get the new ones on.