Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Lifelock protecting you? Think again!

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...ion-settlement

rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Good post, I figured it was not all it advertised itself as being. We had thought about it after the house sells but not now... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Great article, thanks for posting it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I put a security freeze on our information at all three credit bureaus. If you don't need to finance things and open credit card accounts often, this may work for you. The drawback is that you can't get credit unless you suspend the freeze so the creditor can access your credit report & score. Generally, you will need to suspend all three freezes unless the creditor knows exactly which bureau they use.

Because I live in Colorado the cost to suspend and reinstate all three freezes is $30. I don't need to get new credit often and I felt the inconvience and cost was well worth the security that doing this provides.

Here is a link you can use:

http://www.consumersunion.org/campai...4indiv.html#MN
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We all fall for marketing... One can do as above and lock their credit reports. It did not cost us to do that. You can also put "restrictions" on your banking accounts. You can put Check ID on your Credit and debit cards. The things one can do for themselves are somewhat of a hassle so folks tend to avoid that and leave it to firms as above. We do have a service that allows us to check our credit reports. You might be surprised at how many credit checks you get. Credit checks can lower your credit rating. Many places will go in and do a credit check on you before they solicit you to see if you are a good credit risk... Locking your credit report will reduce spam calls and mail.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks for posting this article. We have been with Lifelock for a couple of years now and am looking deeper, because of your post. FYI, here is the FTC website for the Lifelock mess - http://www.ftc.gov/lifelock
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, have been with Lifelock going on my second year. While I will never feel 100% safe from identity theft, for $10.00 a month there is some protection there. Maybe I can do all these things myself, but for the money I will let them handle it. If anyone has a company that is 100% foolproof let me know. It's a crying shame we have to worry about these things all the time. I do check my bank accounts daily, on line, to insure no irregular transactions.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use true credit and we know it is not 100% fool proof. We put restrictions on our banking accounts, credit cards and Debit card. If someone would attempt to do a transaction of say 500.00 it would not accept it. Or if there is several small transactions over a short period of time it will kick out. Also ID required will help. This is all a hassle to us as we have to call if we wish to do a large transaction.... Any action in our banking accounts over a set amount can not happen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Other than take your money each month, Lifelock doesn't do anything you can't do yourself, either cheaper or free. There was a big story about the owner (same guy you see in the ads) threatening a mentally challenged person who used his SS# to cash a $500 check.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote