Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Best wax to use on truck

I have a 1999 F250 SD that is still in great shape. My previous stick house had a garage it would fit in, but now it is outside 24/7. I try to wash it regularly and wax it twice a year. I have been using Turtle Wax Platinum Series liquid but am now having a hard time finding it. I would rather pay more $$$ for a quality product than to wax 3-4 times/year. I feel sure that there are some experts out there that can advise me.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Check this out - Kerry

http://www.finishfirstpolish.com/finishfirst.html
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you want it to really look good and feel smooth, clay bar it before waxing/polishing.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wax a big truck....surely you jest. I use the wash and wax stuff. It works OK..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have used MeGuiars and it works fine, although I don't think it is very long lasting. I have even used Protectall as I have decals on the sides. Jury is still out here. Plus what the ____ is a clay bar???? Rich, don't you want to protect your investment???? I think you're lazier than me, and that's saying something. Surely I jest!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
You might try Zaino's Show Car Coatings. Though they apply to the auto lovers who use clay bars, untrimmed detailing towels for carwashing only, etc.
I do use their products on my truck as they offer the best protection and shine that I've found (double layers on the roof and hood). No Buffer is needed and the products apply very easily with side benefit of a fantastic shine.

Visit their website at:
http://www.zainostore.com/

A Los Angeles retail source is:
http://www.lazaino.com/
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Thanks Kerry and RRman. Since my truck is much older than either of yours, any advice on choosing which product(s) to use?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Not really sure if there is a best wax. I have tried many different wax's over the years and all seem to be about the same. I have what you would say is a Big Truck and I waxed it in July and used Meguiars and it worked well doesn't last long but easy on and easy off, it took a little over 2 hours to do the Freightliner. I wax/polish twice a year. I don't believe in using a Clearner wax at all. I have also use Mothers Gold, and it also does a good job. Most of the newer Trucks and Cars don't have to be waxed more than once or twice a year and never wax in the Sun, and really shouldn't wash then in the Sun either. At one time I Managed a Paint Automotive Supply shop and we sold the Clay Bars, they were use mostly to remove over spray etc. Have never been sold on the Wash/Wax products, I guess if you like them its your choice. I also have a Dewalt Polisher/Buffer its a professional model sold by most paint Automotive shops , however if your using a Buffer be very careful on the corners and other unlevel services, you will burn the paint/clear coat and thats not good. My Dewalt has a speed setting for the RPMs which works very well. However I don't use it on the painted service, I bought it for the Hauler bed that I had on the 2006 Chevy Kodiak. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I've been using NuFinish, in the orange bottle for years. The directions say to put a second coat on within 30 days of the first. It's pretty durable, I do my vehicles once a year. It consistently gets high marks from Consumers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I've been using NuFinish, in the orange bottle for years. The directions say to put a second coat on within 30 days of the first. It's pretty durable, I do my vehicles once a year. It consistently gets high marks from Consumers.
I agree good as any, I don't think there is a best out there. Once a year for me ,but mine is in the garage most of the time.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I was very pleased at the way NuFinish worked restoring the shine and luster to the cap of the Montana.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have not waxed in years with the clear coat finish i see no need. After washing i use Meguiars Quick Detailer works like a charm and I have a Black truck no swirls
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
i have used NuFinish for years and like the finish if give and beside its easy and iam lazy
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Johnny, Zaino and Finishfirst are top of the line products. Neither are waxes. I'm not real familiar with the Zaino brand, but I have two good friends who have done top of the line show cars and restored vintage models. Both use Finishfirst. It's easy on, easy off and goes a long way. A little pricey, around $18 a can. Best I can say is read the web sites and make up your own mind. Also, both of these products do better with several coats, 2 or more, but both last longer than over the counter products. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #15
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Put me in that lazy group with Phil and Rich. I use the wax at the car wash and then towel dry. If I do it at home I use the Turtle wash and wax in the same application. About every two years I take my vehicles to the detail shop and let them do the waxing.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I have used MeGuiars and it works fine, although I don't think it is very long lasting. I have even used Protectall as I have decals on the sides. Jury is still out here. Plus what the ____ is a clay bar???? Rich, don't you want to protect your investment???? I think you're lazier than me, and that's saying something. Surely I jest!!!!
Phil, a clay bar is just that: a bar of clay. Using a lubricant or just plain water and rubbing it over the surface will pick up embedded dirt or other particles. After rubbing a small area, you knead the clay to get a clean surface (on the clay) and do another area, rinsing off each area as you finish. You will be surprised how much stuff regular washing leaves behind. As noted, these trucks are BIG and this process from wash to clay bar to wax will easily kill a day.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote