Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
houg301

M.O.C. #9461
adding disc brakes to montana??

Can you add disc brakes to a 5th wheel...are disc brakes better or jake brakes"...heard the brakes on the 5th wheels are always best at stopping you.
Thanks!!
Oh yes..any idea on the cost of either discs or jake brakes?

houg301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
dextra axle has a system google dextra suspenions
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
For a 8K axle, Dexter parts are around $575 for each wheel plus you need a electric/hydraulic actuator (another $270) and the brake lines and fluid. You have to use their 8K kit becaue the 6K kit is for 5 bolt wheels. Add labor on top of all that. You may also have issues with your brake controler not working properly.

Jake Brakes can't be used with all trucks, but if one will work with your truck, it will cost around $1200 plus installation. Be advised that many urban areas have outlawed the use of jake brakes due to noise. Banks makes an electronic equivalent that runs aroun $900 plus you need a Palm interface, another $300.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Tom S. has given you a good estimate. My Jacobs (Jake Brake) is a butterfly valve on the exhaust and has more of a hissing sound than a hard rumble like the big trucks.

Comparing the two is almost apples and oranges.

I would not tow a heavy load (Monty) without the exhaust brake (I do have a six speed manual). It helps keep my truck and trailer brakes cool until I need them. If you want to have brakes when you need them on down hills and will go down a hill the same speed and in the same gear you pull it then the Exhaust brake is the way to go. After 80K miles on truck I had to replace front disk brake pads. over 40K are towing.

If you want to stop faster in a panic situation then the disk brakes on the trailer will help.

I would like to have disk brakes on Monty but have not spent the extra money.

I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Jake Brake is a brand name the 2007.5 Dodges come with a stock Jake exhaust brake. On my 2001 Dodge I used an after market BD exhaust brake and my 2004 Dodge I used a Pac Brake. I preferred the Pac Brake. I didn't try the Banks system as both the other makers where less than an 1hr from our home. I wouldn't tow without an exhaust brake.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I had Disc Brakes installed on our Cambridge by Mor/Ryde in Elkhart Ind. It was the best upgrade we ever made to a 5th wheel. I believe that any 5th wheel over 34' should be required to have Disk Brakes. The biggest reason is that many people pulling 5th wheel aren't using the correct size Truck, pulling isn't a problem with most Diesel engines, but stopping ability is, and the answer is always, I have been pulling thousands of mile and my Truck does just fine. It almost impossible to change anyone's mind on the difference in the 3/4 tons vs the 1 ton. Thats were Disk Brakes is a must. The Jake brake, Pac brake, exhaust brake, I have driven Trucks with those systems and my current Truck has a two stage Pac brake system. They are also a great tool, they really help on saving your Trucks brakes. In my opinion the Disk Brakes would be the first thing I would add. My cost in 2006 was $3,093.00 at Mor/Ryde, but I didn't have to change axles it already had the never lube system. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

I had Disc Brakes installed on our Cambridge by Mor/Ryde in Elkhart Ind. It was the best upgrade we ever made to a 5th wheel. I believe that any 5th wheel over 34' should be required to have Disk Brakes. The biggest reason is that many people pulling 5th wheel aren't using the correct size Truck, pulling isn't a problem with most Diesel engines, but stopping ability is, and the answer is always, I have been pulling thousands of mile and my Truck does just fine. It almost impossible to change anyone's mind on the difference in the 3/4 tons vs the 1 ton. Thats were Disk Brakes is a must. The Jake brake, Pac brake, exhaust brake, I have driven Trucks with those systems and my current Truck has a two stage Pac brake system. They are also a great tool, they really help on saving your Trucks brakes. In my opinion the Disk Brakes would be the first thing I would add. My cost in 2006 was $3,093.00 at Mor/Ryde, but I didn't have to change axles it already had the never lube system. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
I certainly don't disagree about the disk brakes being added and wish our trailer had them, but as for trucks, the brakes on a 3/4 ton and 1 ton are exactly the same. So if someone is considering buying a one ton to get better brakes, don't!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
RV forums are Opinions and Experience. My experience has been a DRW Truck will handle the pin weight and will stop the load safer than a 3/4 ton. As I said its almost impossible to change anyone's mind about the difference between a 3/4 vs a 1 ton. I still believe if your pulling a 34' or more 5th wheel trailer the 1 ton DRW Trucks are safer than a SRW. And I would install Disk Brakes on the 5th wheel before a Jake/Pac brake system. That being said its your choice. GBY....
Old 10-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The idea that the componets of the brakes are the same isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Since the brakes are the same on the 3/4 ton, one ton SRW and one ton DRW, the only thing that can make any difference in stopping is the amount of tire surface on the road. A dually has an edge there but it is also handicapped by the fact it also has more rolling mass (4 wheels/tires vs 2).

Old 10-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had the MorRyde IS system installed last year and had the never lube hubs AND the Kodiak disc brakes. Love em and feel pretty well protected......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
houg301

M.O.C. #9461
Thanks for info everybody...will be checking in to adding the brakes when we get our Montana....a question though...who do I go to get the disc brakes?
houg301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by houg301

Thanks for info everybody...will be checking in to adding the brakes when we get our Montana....a question though...who do I go to get the disc brakes?
Just to buy them or to get them installed?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Call Mor/Ryde in Elkhart Ind. I'm sure they can give you some idea on what you can do so you can make a good decision on what to do. GBY....