Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
An ordeal

I stopped to fuel up after unhitching at the campground. When I started up again, I had no power steering nor power breaks. A quick check of the fluid levels revealed that all fluids were as they should be. So because the truck is still under warranty, Ford Emergency Road Service had me towed to the dealer in Whitefish, MT. When Coach-Net learned that I was still under warranty, they did not tell me to call Ford ERS. They handled all the calls themselves to set up the tow and made sure I was attended.

The wrecker driver called me to tell me he was coming and then asked me about transportation. He said that it was late and that I should try immediately to make arrangements. That was great advice. When I called Enterprise Auto, they had no cars to rent, but while I was on the phone, a Jeep SUV came in. They cleaned it up and delivered it to a convenient spot on our route to the Ford dealership.

We got to the dealership 30 minutes before closing. The service writer wrote up the work order and left for the weekend. The car rental closed after the delivery. The service station attendant drove Dianna back to the RV with the groceries while I dealt with all the arrangements.

Having road problems is no fun, but they are made much easier when people work to help you manage the unexpected.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
It is so unfortunate that "stuff" happens. It looks like your luck was on the good side, maybe for a change. I'm glad you were able to come out smelling like flowers. I hope they get it fixed in short order and you can get back to a "normal" life.

God bless and keep you all safe.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Stiles, Sorry for your bad luck with the truck. The "silver lining" must be the good people that helped you and the "man" that watches over you. Please post the results of the problem so the rest of us Ford owners can know what to watch for. Bob & Karen
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dang it, Stiles, you are about ready for some good luck. Maybe this is the end of problems for you two. Hope so, good luck with it.
I also see you are taking it, like the easy going thoughtful man that you are. Good for you.
Hang in there buddy.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks OZZ,

I really don't see it as bad luck. It is just normal everyday life issues and dealing with whatever challenges that arise. If this had happened 3 hours earlier, I would have been towing. I can't imagine the problems if I had been caught in the mountains with failed power brakes and power steering. It wore me out trying to move it about 100 feet in the parking area of the station.

If it had happened a day earlier, I would have been at least 60 miles from a dealer instead of 14 miles. If it had happened an hour later, I would not have been able to rent a car(they roll up the streets around here at 6:00 PM).

It happened at a place where I had phone service. There are so many places in Montana where there is no service. It happened at the beginning of a weeks stay rather than at the end. I am not a Pollyanna, but when I think of all the alternative scenarios that could have been, I/we feel very blessed.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
[IMAGE]http://www.emotihost.com/glass/1.gif[/IMAGE]

Curious what you find out Stiles. It almost sounds like the power steering pump lost hydraulics, or maybe you lost the serpentine belt (if they still use those). I believe the brakes are powered through the power steering pump now instead of vacuum.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hopefully I will find out tomorrow. Over the phone, the service writer said it sounded like the hydroboost and if it is, the part will have to be ordered. Whatever it is I want to learn whether it is a common problem with the 2008 6.4 L system. I hope it is something simpler.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Stiles, maybe you should have stayed at a Holiday Inn. lol

Breakdowns are never good, but it sounds like things came together for you this time.

Keep us posted.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Stiles, maybe you should have stayed at a Holiday Inn. lol

Breakdowns are never good, but it sounds like things came together for you this time.

Keep us posted.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote