Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Workamping

Fellow MOC,ers We MADE IT TO BRYCE CANYON, RUBY INN ON THE 23 TH. It was Easter, so the front desk person told us to set up in the site above the lodge. We did and the water was off in all 12 sites. So we rought it for the night. The next day we contacted the personel director, and he did all the paper work and drug test. I should back up a little, the night before we stopped over accross the street at the new RV park they made. A fellow that had worked their a couple of years, told us we would be in that area. Well the personell director after all the paper work was done, said you will be in the employees camp sites down by the frozen pond site # 47. I went down and looked at it and all the water was off and thier was about 10 trailers their and most had window broke out and carboard duct taped up. I went back up to his office and told him that my wife and I would not take our new 2007 montana and set up in what looked like a slum. He asked us to come back around 11:30 a.m. We did and he was still busy and wanted us to wait at 12:00. I left a note we would be back at 1 p.m., We called a number we found in the workampers Mag. for jobs at the Grand Canyon North Rim and the lady said their was two position open, one in retail and one in service station attendant. So at 1:00 we went back to the personell office, he was not there about 10 mins later he showed up. He started hemming and hawing and said the head of house keeping would be there soon to talk to us. We had both had it. I told him we would not be interested in the site in the slums and we would look into other options. He was unconncerned and said he ,was sorry we felt that way. He was around maybe 27 yrs old, I told him He needed to treat people that workamp with a little more repect and he may get better worker that way. Didn't seem to understand what that meant. If any one looks into working for Ruby's Inn in Bryce Canyon be sure you get it in writing that you can set up in the new camp grounds. We did get the jobs in the Grand Canyon North Rim, We start 5/1/08. We are staying at the RV Corral Good Sampark in Kanab Utah for a month. Come by if your in the area we would love to meet you/ Thanks for listening I needed to vent. Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Randye,

Be sure to right to the corporate head about your experience...sounds like the Personnel Director needs some "directing"! His lack of professionalism is definitely not what most businesses/corporations desire/expect from their professional staff. With finding and keeping reliable help in the "recreation/resort" industry (I am using this term in a broad sense to include resorts, camping, RVing, hotel/restaurant, etc.) losing someone before they even come on board is a definite "no,no".

Venting here is good, but letting the people with the "final stroke of the pen" is better. Whether you want to pursue working for them or not, it would be helpful to the company and people who may follow after you (not only from the worker standpoint, but the customer standpoint as well considering what you encountered with regard to the availability of utilities (or lack thereof) as well as the overall impression that the "slum" presented.

Two things came to mind when I read your post: 1) It takes one "Ah Sh**" to do away with a thousand "Atta Boys" and 2) The Personnel Director is overhead and you (if you were a customer) are profit...without profit there is no way to cover the overhead!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Most of my employees have that punks mind set. It seems the new generation coming into the work force has been babied so much they have no idea how to work. They expect everyone to do their job and then complain about their pay.
I am glad you two found a decent place to stay and what sounds like fun jobs.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi All

We just took a trip from Kanab, UT to Page Arizona, were the headquarters of Forever Resorts is located. We talked to our new employers and she said they worked at Bryce Canyon before and were Cody of Bryce Canyon was going to put us, thaws out and its a muddy mess for a couple of months until it dries out. We are still here in Kanab UT. They will try and have us go to the Grand Canyon as soon as possible, maybe the 20th of April or so. The Service Station was built in the 1930's and they are looking for period gas pumps to make it look original. They seem like great folks. We will keep you all in the loop as soon as I know more.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi All We leave in the morning, For our Grand Canyon experiance. We will be starting work I would guess on Monday 4-28-08. I've only heard good things about the park and lodge thier. I will post in about a week or two personally how it is there. If any one is coming this way, I will check out how much the sites go for. I will let all know what I find out. Still have a lot to do before morning so Later Randye