Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2006, 03:11 AM   #1
Montana_5621
Established Member

M.O.C. #5621
Mountaineer for fulltiming?

Anyone have an opinion,or experience with Mountaineers? Is it suitable for fulltiming? Any other info regarding the Mountaineer vs Montana?
Thanks
Al

Montana_5621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all you are going to be told that the Mountaineer nor the Montana are considered full time rigs. All I can say is phooey on that.

Now to your question...
Well all I have to say is today's Mountaineer is about the same rig as my early 04 Montana was. I have been full timing in my 04 since October 2003 without a problem. Of course we do stay in the warmer climes and therefore I can't speak for cold weather full timing.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
I stayed up in Maine last yr at thanksgiving for 4 nights in the Mountaineer, and the temps were right around 17 at night and 25 during the day. It also snowed while I was there. I can say that the Mountaineer did great thru these temps and I had my fresh water tank filled and water in all the lines without a single problem. I even towed it up to Maine (about 3.5 hrs on the road) with the water in the lines and the heat running... no problems. We lived in the Mountaineer down outside NYC for 9 weeks straight last yr and it performed perfectly. I know this doesn't compare to full timing but hope the little bit of info helps. Based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to full time in this unit. I would definately head to warmer weather though for the winter.
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
I am certain there are others here who can answer better than I but I am answering anyway We owned a Mountaineer and although we live in Florida we do get some cold nights. We camped in our Mountaineer in 20 degree weather and it was fine. On the flip side the extreme heat was no problem either.
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We are planning to fulltime in our Mountaineer travel trailer. We have done campground hosting for two months and did not feel cramped. We have done some renovations to add a washer/dryer, flat panel television, laminate floors and other creature comforts in anticipation of fulltiming. We have camped with temperatures in the single digits with no problems. If you find a floor plan that meets your needs I think you will be just fine.

Hopefully, we'll have a contract on our home by the end of the week and we'll be able to share our fulltiming experiences soon!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
When I was at the lake a few weeks ago we had a storm come through in front of a cold front. I was impressed with how well the unit handled the wind and most of all how quiet it was inside the unit during the storm. The same night I turned on the heat after the front came through and I was impressed. The heater only kicked on one time overnight. The mountaineer surpassed my expectations and that is quite an accomplishment.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote