Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
trkr75

M.O.C. #29225
Trailer hitch on back of fifthwheel

Good morning/Afternoon/day (whenever you read this),

I have just got a new to me Montanna (2007) model. I absolutely love it but one of the things I was hoping to do was pull my side by side with a additional trailer behind it. I took it to a hitch dealer that said they make trailer hitches for fifth wheels and could do it. A few hours after I dropped it off they called and said they could not do it. Does anyone have this model 3400RL and have a hitch on the back. I am looking for first hand knowledge.
Thanks
Ken

trkr75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
1st, welcome aboard!

Did they happen to say why they couldn't do it? Does your rig have a fiberglass rear cap? It might come down and cover access to the frame that would require cutting a hole to access a hitch. I'm not familiar with the configuration of your model and year but pics of the rear of it would be helpful from a few angles, including from underneath.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
trkr75

M.O.C. #29225
They didn't say. But yes there is a fiberglass cap on the back. Looking underneath it does wrap under the trailer. They may have just not wanted to mess with a job that big for what they said they would do it for to start with. I am going to take it to another place and see what they say. Thanks for the reply and the welcome aboard.
trkr75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
You aren’t that far from Lippert up in Indiana. You could arrange to have them do the install. They also made the frame. Our first Montana was a 3400. Nice floor plan. Welcome to the forum.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our 3402 is similar to the 3400, just a bit longer. The hitch installed is not attached to the actual ‘I’ Beam frame but to lighter metal extensions and no matter what hitch you would install, it will not be suitable for towing anything. You also need to be aware that many states do not allow towing an additional trailer with a fifth wheel trailer, and some that do require a class A license.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Many member have added hitches even though it is not recommended. With a 2007 you are not worried about violating the frame warranty. The rounded back cap is only a problem in that the receiver is way back under the cap when you add a bolt on hitch. But there are extensions that cure the problem (and 1/2 the carrying capacity).

It can be done but best if a real welder fabricates a hitch for you.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Our 3402 is similar to the 3400, just a bit longer. The hitch installed is not attached to the actual ‘I’ Beam frame but to lighter metal extensions and no matter what hitch you would install, it will not be suitable for towing anything. You also need to be aware that many states do not allow towing an additional trailer with a fifth wheel trailer, and some that do require a class A license.
I am surprised at the replies , added a hitch to a friends 2010 3150RL ,copied one another friend built for his 2010 Montana. Both are towing behind their fifth wheels. One is a 12' utility trailer with a ATV on it, has been towing it since the trailer was new . The other a 16' drift boat, both not a lot of weight .

I also tow behind my fifth wheel with a 10' utility trailer ,and my 10' inflatable pontoon boat on it . All these hitches are bolted ,and braced to the frame of the fifth wheel . mine is a little further underneath then the other two, so I have a 10" hitch extension. Having three connections the extension ,then the ball hitch, and then the trailer connected, I use hitch tighteners on the connections Takes out the play ,and noise .

Hardest part of all three was the wiring , getting to the wires running to the taillights of the fifth wheel , they don't make it easy, but is was doable. Only thing I want to do with mine is add a camera, it would be nice to see it back there. I can see the shadow ,but that's it ,other then when turning.

It seems a lot of issue is taken with this double towing, very surprised considering how many do it. I have no reservations doing it, nor do I see any safety issues to worry about. Would I tow some of the weight I see behind fifth wheels, no . But the weight I tow, and my two friends not a problem.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkr75 View Post
Good morning/Afternoon/day (whenever you read this),

I have just got a new to me Montanna (2007) model. I absolutely love it but one of the things I was hoping to do was pull my side by side with a additional trailer behind it. I took it to a hitch dealer that said they make trailer hitches for fifth wheels and could do it. A few hours after I dropped it off they called and said they could not do it. Does anyone have this model 3400RL and have a hitch on the back. I am looking for first hand knowledge.
Thanks
Ken

To add to my previous post. The one friend has towed exactly what you want to do now for over 10 years without issue. He had one of those factory bolt on hitches ,basically to use for a bicycle rack . He unbolted that , used the existing brackets that were welded to the frame, then he beefed them up, fabricated a receiver hitch, and bolted it to the existing brackets , which stick beyond the frame a bit .

Mine did not have a factory hitch ,so my hitch is a bit further underneath ,and bolted directly to the frame, very solid ,plus depending on the weight you are towing, you can also have frame reinforced, many do it. You need to find the right shop ,or guys like me ,or my friend that weld ,and know what they are doing .
Old 08-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Many member have added hitches even though it is not recommended. With a 2007 you are not worried about violating the frame warranty. The rounded back cap is only a problem in that the receiver is way back under the cap when you add a bolt on hitch. But there are extensions that cure the problem (and 1/2 the carrying capacity).

It can be done but best if a real welder fabricates a hitch for you.
Thats the key, a real welder . Both my friend ,and I both have been in the steel fabrication business for over 40 years .