Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #61
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
With respect, we know, and I've explained the regulations, why they exist, when they changed and why someone may want to make a different, informed, choice.

Each one is free to make their own choice, and I've specifically said so; but I find that a repeating of the above information is not helpful to the questions being asked.

YMMV

Brad
You're not using any supporting references. Every now and then it would be nice to see where your information is coming from and if it's supported in any way by the industry at large.

CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #62
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
You're not using any supporting references. Every now and then it would be nice to see where your information is coming from and if it's supported in any way by the industry at large.
Sigh... yes I have (most recently in post #45), but it's obvious that you are in the camp of wanting to be right rather than being open to why others are asking questions in the first place.

And, BTW, your references come across like a preacher sharing a link to the bible when asked a life question. You have not posted links that are helpful to the person asking the question, and I'm not the only one on the thread who has said so.

That's ok, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Brad
Old 02-11-2021, 05:22 PM   #63
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
This is a quote from the first reference in post 45.

"Your tires' proper tire inflation pressure—measured in both kilopascals (kPA) and pounds per square inch (PSI or psi)—can be found on the Tire and Loading Information Label on the driver's side door edge or in your owner's manual. On new vehicles, the label will be located on the driver’s side doorjamb, called a “B-pillar.”"

If the vehicle manufacturer thought an owner needed a provision for optional inflation pressures they would have made a notation in the vehicle's owner's manual.

Common scenes applications like getting stuck on a sandy beach or snow drift really needs no explanation.

Goodyear has the sternest statement about airing down tires. NEVER USE INFLATION PRESSURES LESS THAN WHAT HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #64
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:

If the vehicle manufacturer thought an owner needed a provision for optional inflation pressures they would have made a notation in the vehicle's owner's manual.
And, before 2007/2008 they did actually provide this. The regulation changes in that era are the reason vehicle manufacturers do not, and cannot, provide tire pressure load charts. Air and rubber didn't become less efficient, but the law did.
I think you know this, yet you will not acknowledge it. (and BTW, while you referenced the 2007 meetings, you provided no links to information about them either).

But, you are also proving my point - you are not trying to answer questions, but rather your responses seem simply to prove you are right. I don't think I have seen you acknowledge anything, by any member, about any point made on this thread.
In return, many members, including me, have acknowledged the regulations that you have referenced. We are open to discussion; you have not yet indicated that you are.

So, again with respect because I think you really are knowledgeable about the current regulations, your comments (and this debate) are not helpful to the questions on the thread, and is a waste of their time, and mine.

If you want to continue repeating the message that one must always follow the current onerous "one size fits all" regulations, no matter what the circumstance (even if that creates an uncomfortable or even unsafe condition), then carry on, but without me.

Brad
Old 02-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #65
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
And, before 2007/2008 they did actually provide this. The regulation changes in that era are the reason manufacturers do not, and cannot, provide tire pressure load charts. Air and rubber didn't become less efficient, but the law did.
In 2007 the Tire and Rim Association (TRA) became the organization responsible for load inflation standardization. Here is a load inflation chart approved by TRA.

https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/C...T-Modified.pdf

This is a 2017 chart by GY.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

This is a long read.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...tandards-tires
Old 02-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #66
Ram2013
Established Member

M.O.C. #23554
I bought a 2013 Ran 2500 Big Horn new. Came with Firestone Transforce AT tires Pull a 2015 Montana 318RL High Country. The truck has been to Alaska and coast to coast many times. I run 60 lb in the front all the time. Rear 80 lb when towing and 45 lb empty. I get 50,000 miles on a set and rotate every 7,000 mile. I would not buy any other brand. Plus the tires are not noisy on highway.
Ram2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #67
Walt & Vicki
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24025
I run between 95 and 100 psi front and typically 90 psi rear 24/7. You can see the set up we have in our signature. For an investment like our Montana and being full time, it only seemed logical to have a tire wheel combination that would be less worry and not much difference in cost. When the life of the tire, as far as mileage goes, is more than 3 times that of a typical tire, the initial investment is easier to justify. SRW trucks can see the same advantage as the same can be had for them. Its just the road we chose and may not be for everyone, but what has been said before, to each his own.
Best,
Walt
Walt & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote