Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Research on new Fifth Wheel

I have been following Rich's blog on his new 2013 3402 Big Sky with great interest. I have a 2009 2980RL and both my wife and I love it. However, I am planning to retire in the next 5 or 6 years and have been researching new models both Keystone as well as SOB. My main concern was the construction and as Rich as stated the quality as well. Through out my life with the military I have always stated you get what you pay for...and I would like the best bang for my buck. Interms of construction Keystone has not always been the best, however, in the last year they have improved. They now state they have a 12" I-beam frame for long term living. Other SOB state 15" channel frame. For me, either is fine but my concern is the quality of the product. I agree with Rich in that if one person gets a great product while another gets a lemon...the quality control is not very good. When I retire, we plan to RV full time and a good quality, reliable product is essential to a worry free RV life. I am wondering if anyone else has conducted considerable research before they purchased.

Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We did and picked Montana. Remember most of us who are happy don't report that. With literally thousands of members on this forum there are a large number of us very happy with or choice.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
The Montana is good but I think the Redwood might be a slight notch above in terms of quality.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
We had a 07 Big Sky 340RLQ, which we were very happy with. When we started looking for a new one we found out that the Big Sky had been discontinued and replaced with the big sky package on several models. We went to look at one with the big sky package a found out they had really cheapened it up, no comparison to the original Big Sky. We then started looking around and bought the SOB with the 15 inch channel frame. You do get what you pay for, there is no comparison in the workmanship.
It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay, I suggest you look around.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did considerable research.Part of it was being on this forum and others for over a year before we purchased anything and working for dealers selling Rv's all brands. We toured about every plant in The Elkhart area. We purchased the Montana and now purchased our second Montana. Quality in the RV industry is the same across the board...any brand. If there was IMO a better quality 5th wheel in the Montana price range we would have purchased it.I post all our problems in a effort to help others.They are minor and could have occured in any brand we purchased.My point is they have need not happened with a good quality program.....No Rv manufacturerte has one. Check out other forums and you will see the saame issues..any brand.

We are happy with our choice, both times....but the fact remains...quality control is not good. It is a fcat of life in the RV industry.If yiou are looking for a RV that will have no problems you are not going to find it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
And Montana has exellent service long,long after the sale
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
As noted earlier, you get what you pay for. The Montana is a fine 5th wheel. Are there better units out there? Sure...you get what you pay for, want a better rig, get out your check book.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We shopped for two years before buying Montana. We feel we got the most for our money. We have had few and minor problems. Being a part time RV salesman, I get a broad overview. I'm convinced even more by what I see everyday and hear from our techs that Montana is among if not the very best.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
I too have no issues with my Montana. I have had it for over 3 years and knock on wood, I had no problem except for a tire blowout last year. The trailer is great but I am not sure I can live it full time.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK, I'm curious - - Why do you feel you cannot live in a Montana full time??

There are quite a few members here that have done so and continue to do so.

We manage to do 5 to 10 months at a time, no problem, other than it is NOT full time (shhhhh, don't tell CountryGuy I said that! ) I figure if I can do 8.5 months, or 10 months, whatever, I could do full time. In fact, whenever we do get back to the stick built I move in, reluctantly.

Tana is my preferred home at this time in my life.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We lived in ours fulltime for 9 years and it still looks good inside and has held up well
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have always thought Montana was a good bang for the buck. We fulltimed almost 6 years in a Montana. Yes the Redwood is a better quality fifth wheel, and it is reflected in higher starting prices of $100K+.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Greg, be sure to factor in your 5th wheel product choice with the towing vehicle you have or will purchase. While we all may have vehicles that can tow, some have the correct vehicle to tow. Towing a heavier 5th wheel requires some homework on your part. Good Luck on your choice.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We researched fifth wheels for three years before buying Montana. I have been in the construction industry all my life so I look at things with a critical eye. Quality and fit and finish as well as the most bang for the bucks we had to spend led us to what we have. This forum also factored into our decision. The wealth of knowledge gleaned from members has proved to be a wonderful asset.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We spent 6 to 9 months a year in our 06 3400 from 2006 to 2013. It served us well.Did over 60K miles and a couple sets of tires . We have had this 2013 Big sky. We have been living in it since October of 2012.It is doing well.

Let tell you of the things that have NOT gone wrong since we got it. 6 point level system no problems /G614 tires no problem. Electric awning, no problem. Suspension system, no problem.Full body paint, perfect.No window leaks anywhere.Sound system,no problem, TV's , no problem.Holding tanks, perfect.Carpet no wear. Furniture looks good. Day night shades, perfect.Counter tops no problems. Furnace no problems, A/C's no problems. Way better insulated than the 2006. Roof no leaks, no bubbles.No cabinet doors fell off, no loose screws. Toliet has not leaked. Stove perfect, Microwave perfect. No faucets leak.No electrical problems.Fantastic fan perfect. Execpt for the register in the John all the others are perfect.One strut on one compartment door is working loose all the others are perfect.
Fireplace has not burst into flame and works perfect.

This Big sky draws stares.There are only two small places that it says Montana and folks think it is a MS /Carriage, etc. The service from Keystone is outstanding although some have had problems. I never have and they know me by name at the service center.I have given them a very hard time, many times and have only received excellent service in return.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

OK, I'm curious - - Why do you feel you cannot live in a Montana full time??

There are quite a few members here that have done so and continue to do so.

We manage to do 5 to 10 months at a time, no problem, other than it is NOT full time (shhhhh, don't tell CountryGuy I said that! ) I figure if I can do 8.5 months, or 10 months, whatever, I could do full time. In fact, whenever we do get back to the stick built I move in, reluctantly.

Tana is my preferred home at this time in my life.
I have been RVing for about 8 years now and it has only been part-time. The longest stay I have had was 4 weeks. During that time frame I felt a little claustrophobic in my 5th wheel. I have since bought a larger one and the claustrophobia is not too bad. I suppose I will need to get use to the reduce space as I love to travel and see the country. I suppose I think the larger 5th wheeel would reduce my phobia.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Biggjb

... we plan to RV full time and a good quality, reliable product is essential to a worry free RV life.
Not intending to be a smart aleck whatsoever, but in my opinion no matter what price point you're at, you're going to have issues come up with any trailer. Just like with a new house, you're going to have a number of items on your fix-it list right away, and other things that turn up as you get the bugs out. In the fifteen-inch frame category we looked at Mobile Suites and they are very nice, but cost a lot more. At the Montana price point, we are very happy with the quality, and were able to completely option it out and still be tens of thousands of dollars less at the end of the day.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
And trailers like Mobile Suites are a good deal heavier. Something to think about when looking at capacities of tow vehicles.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We moved in our 07 3485SA in May of 07 and still live in it, almost 6 years now. We both still love it. We love to be able to move to different places and states. We still work full time and work mostly seasonally,works for us. Plan on doing it until health makes us stop.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #20
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
We are so happy with our 2008 Montana 3475. We bought it 3 years ago on e-bay (bank repo). We have had only minor problems. No problems I could not repair myself. I had to replace the flex things that hold the eletric wiring up on the slides. Otherwise it is the best purchase I have ever made. Hope to go fulltiming in it next year.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote