Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
slideout motor

When extending or retracting my slides, I will get only a partial retraction/extension, before it quits. Wait a few seconds and it will work again. I have added a 30 amp resetting breaker in the line to go along with the one already there, so that isn't it, I don't think. Sometimes you can hear the solenoid clicking but nothing happens, all wires are tight. I am stummped, and searches revealed nothing about this particular problem. Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks
I also checked the switch and it is fine. I cannot remember the gentleman's name that works for Lippert, but if womeone could give me his name and contact I would love it. Many thanks

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
His log in on the MOC forum is MIMF, and his name is Dale Burkhart (sp).

Our slides did the same thing when we first got it from the dealer. One trip back to them, and it hasn't happened since. I don't know what they did.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickety

When extending or retracting my slides, I will get only a partial retraction/extension, before it quits. Wait a few seconds and it will work again.
I had that problem with mine and got directions from MiFi and got it fixed, I am at work right now but if you can wiat untill I get home tonight I'll send you all the information needed to fix it. let me know OK?
TT2
Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Phone numbers for Dale Brubaker are: 866-524-7821 Ext.4542
Cell number 574-230-4974 Hope this helps.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Don, I would appreciate your sending me the information. I don't think it is anything real serious.
Rick Trent rickety104@comcast.net
Old 12-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
rickety,

The motor that drives the pump is rated at a max amperage draw of 100 amps. If you were to have an amperage draw test done while that motor is turning the pump and moving the rooms, don't be surprised to find out that it is drawing between 50 and 70 amps.

Therefore, you would need two auto reset circuit breakers, a 50 and a 20 amp wired in parallel to keep the motor from tripping the breakers when they get over heated. A 12 v 50 amp auto reset breaker is the largest made. That is why a 20 or 30 or 40 can be wired in parellel. Some have just gone ahead and wired two 50's together. Personally, I don't like to do that because you are getting too close to the max rating of the motor and it would be my luck the motor would over-heat and burn down my coach!

It sounds to me the breakers you have there now are too weak. A 30 amp is not going to do the job! Each time one of those pop, they get weaker. And you may have made the same mistake so many others make. That is, you have then in series. If not they are bad. The other choice is to simply go down to your favorite car parts store and buy 1 12v 70 or 80 amp manual reset breaker. That way if you are operating the slides and an 80 amp manual breaker pops open you will have to physically go down to the pump and reset it by pushing the lever or button back in. And you will more inclined to investigate why it popped in the first place.

Come spring when I open the Challenger for the summer, the first thing that is going to happen is, a new 70 amp manual reset breaker is going in. That is mainly because I have a bigger pump due to the hydraulic landing gear that was installed back the first part of November. But, that is in another thread.

If you need more help, Charlie has given the correct numbers to get in touch with me. Don't hesitate to use them.

Merry Christmas!

Dale
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Dale thank you for the information. I tried wiring the 30, and went back out and looked at the one that came on the unit and it is a 30 also, so I am not getting anywhere near what I need. Why did Lippert do that? or was it Keystone. Guess it doesn't really mattter, it was done.

Will do what you suggest. Again thanks for the information.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
rickety,

Lippert didn't do it! It was Keystone. We recommend what breakers they need to use and where it needs to be placed. (18 inches around the battery with 6 ga wire.) If they run out of 50 amp breakers that day on the production line, they slap in what ever else they have. If the pump runs and moves the rooms in and out when it goes out the front door.......it's good to ship. Unfortunately, that is where you and I come in then as the retail customer.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:03 AM   #9
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
WE had the same problem. Took dealer two tries, but now all is OK. See you guys in Shasta.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #10
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I am going to pick up 2 new circuit breakers and put them in. The details that Don sent and the information the Dale gave me seems to cover all I need to know to solve the problem.
Thanks you so much!!!!I am somewhat embarassed, after working for 25 years on commercial dishmachines with voltages from 5 to 400 you would think I would know the difference getween series and paralell by now. I just looked, and of course I wired the old one in series, hence two new breakers.
Thanks for everything folks, what a great forum!!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:26 AM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Dale, it looks like the assembly line ran out of 50 amp breakers when they made our unit as the large sofa/chair slide stops two to three times on ours when we try to retract it. I had been meaning to post this very same question.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:35 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just added to our PDI list...Check for 50 amp slideout breaker, no breaker, no check, maybe even have the dealer add a 30 in parallel. This forum is great...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:45 AM   #13
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I had the same problem with my slides. However the problem was due to my negligence regarding battery maintenance. I hadn't checked my battery since I bought the rig some two years ago thinking that it was a no-maintenance battery. During my troubleshooting for the slide problem I finally got around to the battery and Lo and Behold it was half empty of water. A refill and recharge fixed the slide problem. The slide motor runs directly off the battery so if it isn't charged enough or doesn't have sufficient capacity it won't run properly. Needless to say, battery checks are standard for me from now on.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote