Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Water Filtration question

Well, today we moved into a park where the water is less than ideal. There is a distinct sulfur smell to it and it is getting through the filtration (2 stage particulate and charcoal). Does anyone have a solution better than carbon/charcoal ?

I know that folks drive for many miles and pay money to bath in sulfur springs, and I presume we will see the many benefits of age reversal and better skin and all that (grin) but if there's a better filter, I'd still use it

Any suggestions to remove the odor? Should I worry about any problems like increased accumulation of minerals in the water heater?
What sayest thou?

Thanks so much.

sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We get our filters here. Rick Dahl is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to water and the filtering thereof. If you click on "Ask Rick" you can state your problem and get an answer. We've dealt with these people for quite a number of years and can highly recommend them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Must be well water? My grandparents had a well out on the farm that smelled of sulfur real bad. I recall as a kid just hating to drink it. If it was me I would just drink bottled water if your not going to be there too long.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For drinking, put the water in a pitcher and put it in the refrigerator and the smell will disappear. You could also leave it on the counter.

The sulfur smell will not stay on your body after you bathe.

We lived in the country for about 3 years with well water that would run you out of the house when you drew it from the well (pumped to all water supplies in house). It did take getting used to that rotten egg smell, but just open your mind and enjoy the day. The smell, nor the water, will hurt you.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
oooo, Chris, ya got this on the wrong thread

Is this where you wanted it?????

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32641
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Thanks, Carol. Deleted it since John Kohl had same link. Duh?!! CRS case.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
We stay at a campground in the summer months that has well water and it is very irony, I have to drain and clean out the hot water heater a couple times a season. I get this white crusty stuf on the bottom of my tank and it accumulates quite rapidy, I also sanitize my lines with the bleach and water solution a couple times a season also. We drink bottled water and just use the water to bath in.
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
The sulfur will definitly affect your water heater. Drain it NOW, isolate it(by-pass valves), and rinse it well with non-sulfured water. You really don't want the rotten-egg smell that will result from not doing this (experience speaking). If you have any of this water in your fresh water holding tank, the same goes for it. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
We picked up some smelly water once when in Ohio; it took us almost 2 yrs of flushing and sanitizing to completely get the smell out of the system. I was thinking at the time that somehow it got into the plastics in the system. Now we carry our own water, as well as drinking water, but fulltimers don't have that opportunity. We haven't decided on a filter yet. Hopefully some ideas will come in this thread.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

We get our filters here. Rick Dahl is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to water and the filtering thereof. If you click on "Ask Rick" you can state your problem and get an answer. We've dealt with these people for quite a number of years and can highly recommend them.

Orv
I agree with Orv on this one...that link he provided is one you should hang onto...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I didn't know this:

Hydrogen Sulfide In Drinking Water

What I didn't now was that a magnesium anode can produce the rotten egg smell. Replacing it with an aluminum anode is a fix.

Edited: Spelling.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote