Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Electrical question

While getting the Montana ready for its long winters nap, I discovered the slide-out toggle on the wall won't operate the slides. Everything else on the panel works though. The switch tested out ok, so I went underneath. Turns out there is power to the receiver, but no power to the positive wire for the manual switches. What I don't understand is why everything else works? Don't all the switches get their power from the same source? I should add that the toggles on the side of the camper for the landing gear and stabilizers don't work either, but when I jump the wire directly to the battery, everything works. Also, everything works with the remote. I couldn't find much information with my paperwork, but it sounds like I need a new receiver. What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

There were 2 things I found before I got tired of fooling with that receiver and removed it.

The ground is located near the receiver and is a self taping screw that was installed without cleaning any paint off the metal. This sometimes causes you to lose ground.

The second thing I found was part of the system would quit working like you describe I would pull the fuse on the power in to the receiver wait about 1 minute and put the fuse back in and everything would work properly for a while.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
This is not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. Here is the best answer to the problem. There are many more answers if you do a "Search"
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46515
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Thanks for posting. As a matter of fact, I had a similar problem last year with just the stabilizer and landing gear switches that are located on the side of the unit. I moved the ground from the receiver to the chassis and problem solved. Now it is the hot on the receiver giving me trouble. It seems to only control the slide switch on the panel inside along with the landing gear and stabilizers. As I posted above, a jumper to the + terminal on the battery got everything running. But that was just to find the problem, not a solution. Throughout this, the remote has operated everything.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
Actually you have found the solution - short of replacing the controller - by providing a 12V positive source. Usually the controller disables the ground connection. But there have been reported cases where it disabled the positive connection.

Replacing the controller will fix the problem but for how long? Supplying a positive and negative 12V supply works just as well.
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote