Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #81
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Just checked the date code on my GY G614s and it shows 3815 so they are just a bit over 5 years old. Plenty of tread left on them (maybe 15k miles or so on them).

Probably going to replace them after 1 more short trip next week with the Sailun 85 series tires. I figure around 3k lbs sitting on each tire so I would like to get another 650 lb. capacity on my new tires (4,400 vs. 3,750).

If I lose a tire, I would like to be that much less overloaded on the remaining tire on that axle until I can pull over to deal with it.

The additional height isn't much of a concern with my truck and the current setup (Reese Goosebox with B&W offset ball). Also have the factory air assist rear suspension which allows me a 1" lower "alternate trailer setting" for the rear suspension air bags.

Sits nice and level with 5-6" of truck bed clearance. Gotta say I've been happy with the Goodyears though. Zero issues in 5 years...

Old 10-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #82
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
Just checked the date code on my GY G614s and it shows 3815 so they are just a bit over 5 years old. Plenty of tread left on them (maybe 15k miles or so on them).

Probably going to replace them after 1 more short trip next week with the Sailun 85 series tires. I figure around 3k lbs sitting on each tire so I would like to get another 650 lb. capacity on my new tires (4,400 vs. 3,750).

If I lose a tire, I would like to be that much less overloaded on the remaining tire on that axle until I can pull over to deal with it.

The additional height isn't much of a concern with my truck and the current setup (Reese Goosebox with B&W offset ball). Also have the factory air assist rear suspension which allows me a 1" lower "alternate trailer setting" for the rear suspension air bags.

Sits nice and level with 5-6" of truck bed clearance. Gotta say I've been happy with the Goodyears though. Zero issues in 5 years...

You won't regret the Sailuns ,and you will save a few dollars .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #83
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Ya, I wanted to wait to see how everyone fared with them and it sounds like almost everyone is pretty happy. Not aware of any problems/failures, but I realize ANY tire can have a failure.
I just expect it to be quite a rarity...
At half the price of the Westlake or GY, hard to pass it up...
Old 10-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #84
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
And not only will the Sailuns cost less you will have an ST tire with hire load capacity versus a GY G614 that is an LT series tire with a lot less load capacity
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #85
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
The GY G614 and Sailun ST235/85R16 LRG have the same diameter, 31.7".

Although the size designation for the G614 starts with LT, it's rated as a RST, Regional Service Trailer tire. Sailun used to build an identical tire but dropped them when they developed the all steel ST tires.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #86
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks Cal, Ya I realize they are "about" the same diameter (actually Simple Tire shows the Goodyears at 30.7" diameter)...which is a good thing in my case. Nice to be able to get a quality product and save some serious $$!

I confess to being somewhat conflicted about the "Buying American" issue... I have to resolve this with my conscience I suppose!

EDIT: Gonna pull the trigger on the Sailuns, just saw that Simple Tire has them on sale for $146!
Old 11-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #87
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Seems to me 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I assume you went with "G" rated tires? As long as you're towing level, or close to it, then it seems like a wash.

I'm currently just shy of level and plan to move to the 85's when I buy new tires.
just shy of level to the rear helps to keep pin weight down.... that might matter with SRW
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #88
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Maybe kind of a " dumb" question, but when ordering tires from say Simple Tire. Where does one go to have their tires mounted? Tire shop I know.
Will any tire center be willing to install a tire that was not purchased from them? The reason I ask is because I purchased 4 Bilstein shocks for my truck and when I went to Big O they wanted to charge me double the normal price for installing a shock. I asked a local Walmart tire center if they carried Sailun tires and they told me NO. Yet I have seen Sailuns on their website??
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #89
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
That’s where I bought my Sailuns , Walmart . At the time they were cheaper then Simpletire , and free shipping. Had a local tire shop I deal with mount and balance them . They had no problem with It , matter of fact I gave them an opportunity to price match , which they had done in the past , but didn’t this time .
Old 12-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #90
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
So if I were to purchase Sailun tires from Walmart should they be obligated to install them since I purchased them from Walmart. Would Discount Tire install them? I have not asked Big O about getting them for me, but I'm sure they would want to mark them up.
Everyone seems to be migrating to the Sailuns from Goodyear G614, so some tire shops must be supplying and installing them??
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
Old 12-02-2020, 12:14 AM   #91
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I bought mine from Amazon and called both Les Schwab and Discount Tire. DT was way cheaper to do the work for me.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:11 AM   #92
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Simple Tire may list a local installer that will do the job. If that is true for your area, you will be quoted and pay at least part if not all when you buy those tires. The tires can be sent directly to that shop.

Now, if there is no installer, you can look on the Tire Rack site (they don't sell Sailuns though) and find a list of installers, make your own arrangements and Simple can ship them to that installer though you will need to negotiate the price which may differ from Simple or Tire Rack.

I was not happy with Simple when I asked about an installer from my area when I recently bought tires for my truck. They copy and pasted Tire Rack's list - so I just bought from Tire Rack and in turn got a $70 rebate which actually made them cheaper then Simple.

At this point, I would, for our 5er, just find a Walmart for RV Sailuns - the price is about the same and is less hassle

Be really careful when you negotiatea price. The guy I had used for the past 15 years was by far ridiculous at $240 plus taxes and TPMS service. Previously he had been less then $100. I ended up at $82 plus NY taxes(!!), tire disposal and TPMS service.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #93
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Schweizer View Post
So if I were to purchase Sailun tires from Walmart should they be obligated to install them since I purchased them from Walmart. Would Discount Tire install them? I have not asked Big O about getting them for me, but I'm sure they would want to mark them up.
Everyone seems to be migrating to the Sailuns from Goodyear G614, so some tire shops must be supplying and installing them??
Not sure how big your RV is, I didn’t check, but when I ordered my Sailuns from Walmart, they did not have the space or floor jack big enough for my 40’ rig At the local store. Walmart only sells Sailuns on line with free shipping. They were the cheapest at the time. Went to Discount Tire to mount them. I have bought lots of tires from them in the past.They charged me their regular mounting fee which was the cheapest by far. I called and spoke with them before I went to their shop and made an appointment. They were ready for me when I got there. They were great and had me in and out in a jiffy. DT does not sell Sailuns, nor do they have access to them. They tried to price match with something else but could not match with like quality. If you go to DT for mounting, stop by the store first and check out the layout of the store for space and your in and out route. Travel safe!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #94
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Simple Tire may list a local installer that will do the job. If that is true for your area, you will be quoted and pay at least part if not all when you buy those tires. The tires can be sent directly to that shop.

Now, if there is no installer, you can look on the Tire Rack site (they don't sell Sailuns though) and find a list of installers, make your own arrangements and Simple can ship them to that installer though you will need to negotiate the price which may differ from Simple or Tire Rack.

I was not happy with Simple when I asked about an installer from my area when I recently bought tires for my truck. They copy and pasted Tire Rack's list - so I just bought from Tire Rack and in turn got a $70 rebate which actually made them cheaper then Simple.

At this point, I would, for our 5er, just find a Walmart for RV Sailuns - the price is about the same and is less hassle

Be really careful when you negotiatea price. The guy I had used for the past 15 years was by far ridiculous at $240 plus taxes and TPMS service. Previously he had been less then $100. I ended up at $82 plus NY taxes(!!), tire disposal and TPMS service.
Not a fan at all of Simpletire. The tire shop I deal with charged me $60 to mount ,and balance 5 tires that I bought from Walmart .

Normally I get a price match at the tire shop I deal with, but have bought several sets of tires from them, so I will always give them a chance on any tire .
Old 12-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #95
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Thank you to all for the great replies!! Always Good honest advice.

I have purchased all my tires for about 25 years from a Big O, but just changed management ( NOT for the better) I will never go back to this Big O. So I am searching for a reliable tire store that can also do brakes, alignment, etc. for my 5er and 4 vehicles.
I have the 2955 rl, 2009, 34' so not too bad to haul around.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #96
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Not a fan at all of Simpletire. The tire shop I deal with charged me $60 to mount ,and balance 5 tires that I bought from Walmart .

Normally I get a price match at the tire shop I deal with, but have bought several sets of tires from them, so I will always give them a chance on any tire .

With the 'reception' I got from Simple, probably wont be a fan of them either. They are to the best of what I can see, a drop shipper with no stock, just a catalog and a bank of phones to a distributor

The guy that quoted the $240+ is a mobile tire installer that evidently thinks his service now is better then anyone else's. IIRC, the first ones he did were on a '97 T-Bird and that install and balance was less then $75. The current tires on the 5er was less then $100. Yes, I understand labor, etc. has gone up but not 2,5-3+ times in 12 years
Old 12-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #97
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
With the 'reception' I got from Simple, probably wont be a fan of them either. They are to the best of what I can see, a drop shipper with no stock, just a catalog and a bank of phones to a distributor

The guy that quoted the $240+ is a mobile tire installer that evidently thinks his service now is better then anyone else's. IIRC, the first ones he did were on a '97 T-Bird and that install and balance was less then $75. The current tires on the 5er was less then $100. Yes, I understand labor, etc. has gone up but not 2,5-3+ times in 12 years
I know its no no as far as using the level up, but I just raise mine up, pull the tires, take them to the tire shop ,and get them installed . Before level up it was two trips ,but not a big deal, and that far anyway. FYI I do put four jack stands on all four corners just in case.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #98
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I know its no no as far as using the level up, but I just raise mine up, pull the tires, take them to the tire shop ,and get them installed . Before level up it was two trips ,but not a big deal, and that far anyway. FYI I do put four jack stands on all four corners just in case.

No big deal for me - no Level Up, so now would be just two 12T jacks, two stationary stands and two trips. We gave up the self leveling for more trailer. But I do have a good impact gun
Old 12-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #99
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I had the 5er wheels off anyway for new wet bolts and wheel bearing grease. While they were off I took the wheels and new tires to DT to mount. Made it easier so didn't have to figure out how to navigate a tight parking lot off of a busy street.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #100
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Bought my Sailun’s from National Tire and Battery. Good price and NTB mounted them for me as part of the price. Remember to get them balanced also. I was told they did not normally balance trailer tires but they did when I asked them to! Love the Sailun’s - 20K miles and 4 years and still going strong.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote