Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
TOM F
Established Member

M.O.C. #5959
First big trip and none of the horror stories.

We just completed our first big trip 18 days and 3000 miles. I was prepared for the worst, blown tires, things rattling loose and any other number of items I have read about here. Well I have to say that we only had a couple of very minor issues that did not hinder the use of the 5er. The truck performed to better than expected. I love that Allison trany in the mountains. The 5er towed like a dream and met all my expectations for comfort at our stops. Now I just need to get my desk cleared of this annoying thing they call work so I can plan my next trip.

TOM F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Tom: Great to hear. Given the hundreds (thousands??) of Montanas and Mountaneers out there, your trip is more of the rule than the exception. It is good to hear such good things though since so many times all we do hear on the forums are the problem cases (which is why we are here - to air our problems and get help in solving them).

Best of luck getting a handle on that 4-letter word (work) (I'm doing the same) and getting back out with your camper.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Awww thats great news.Its always nice to hear the non horror stories where every thing works like you would want it to.To many times we all hear the gloom and doom.It just might be a "Montana Thing"that you had such a non issue trip.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That's great Tom! Its a good sign for thing to come as well. I agree with the others, I think the MOC is more representative of the problems rather than the successes. Just human nature.

To future success!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have completed four trips in mine with no issues and like everyone says, forums tend to put a negative twist on the forum subject just because problems are posted more often than praise.
I think Keystone makes terrific RVs and give the best value for the buck.
I have no regrets buying my 06 Montana and I would buy another Montana in a heartbeat.
Tom F, enjoy your Keystone RV and expect more great trips.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Wifey and I just commpleted a 2000 mile trip in the 3400, went to Yellowstone and towed the Monty with "BB" (Bodacious Buttocks) our new Chevy 3500 Dually 4X4. Crossed 3 hefty passes and numerous small ones going East and West both. Mileages actuall average was 11.2MPG overall with 1100 miles starting on the truck. I can't say enough about the Duramax/Allison combination. the new 6 speed is terrific!
The Monty was absoulutely flawless, no problems whatsoever. We did have four glasses fall over in the liquor locker and one strawberry daquiri blew it's top due to altitude, oh, and a can of spam fell out of the cuprboard when I opened it, onato the floor aobut 3 inches total. What a great rig!!!!
We stayed in Livingston and took a day trip in the dually to yellowstone (322miles). left at 630am and got back home at 900pm. long beautiful day!! What a phenominally beautiful country we live in!
Just a fe impressions of two great rigs, the dually and the Monty Beauty and the beast!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On a positive note we are 2800 miles into this summer adventure and not a single montana problem of any kind..not even a minor one. By the way a Daiquiri blowing its top IS a serious problem..it is gone forever.The trusty Ford 350 V-10 passed 23K and has not had a problem of any kind. We have experienced maybe 40 or so problems in the 13 months of Montana ownership but none of them, even when it melted down hindered its use.It was a bit Smokey, had little power..but it sheltered us.. The Montana is dirty, bug splattered and looks like it has been dragged about 2800 miles through 8 states thus far. There is a sunny brook on one side of us and a Ceder Creek on the other side and the dirty 3400 looks better than either of them..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
bernieb
Established Member

M.O.C. #7003
Just got home yesterday from our 3300 mile plus trip out west thru 8 states. Some thoughts. The mission tires were no problem. the TV was perfect, no problems on hills up or down and mileage was 10.7 for the trip. Talked with several other Monty owners at various campgrounds and none were forum members so they got the recruitment speach. Only one was friendly, the other 7 were jerks so maybe the forum don't really need them. Met many wonderful friendly RVers tho. One alert to other 300rk owners. Either the DW or rough roads caused the freezer door to come open while on the road. The fridge cannot be seen with slide in so when DW opened the slide the freezer door caught the trim on the inside of the slide and pulled a large section loose. The DW is very hard of hearing so she did not hear the damage being done and by the time I got inside the deed was done. I fixed it today but just a caution to others. Lastly. the Montana is awesome!!!!!
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Tom, that is great. I think that is the way is is with most Montana's.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great reports, everybody. We've towed over 40,000 miles during the past 3 years and we're at a point where we hate to trade the Montana in because she is working so well.

Bernie, 7 jerks in one place? I didn't know there were that many bad Montana owners anywhere.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I guess I can add my 2 cents now. After 3000 miles, other than two blown tires, the only prob we had was one of the day night shades twisted off the frame. I think the DW pulled a little too rough on one side and it jumped the frame. This was addressed at Foleys in WA and they ordered a new one and will send it to me when they get it in. Tires were another issue. Actually one was a blowout, picked up a sharp rock on the edge. The other was a sidewall issue. Keystone has denied any warranty work for tires and I have to deal with the manuf. I am going to get 4 new, BRAND NAME, tires installed and send them the old ones for inspection and reimbursement, if possible.

Other than these things, we are happy campers so far. Enjoying life and loving it.

Phil & Cathy
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We are glad you had a great trip Tom. We concur on Montana being a great rig. Our problems have been minor and the service to take care of them has been fantastic. We have put 11,000+ miles on our 3000RK since we bought it in September, and have lived in it for 9 months out of the last 10, and are currently going to be living in it for another 3 months, and we absolutely love it. The MOC does draw comments on Montana problems, but thanks to the great MOC members, I have been able to get quick solutions to my problems, making us sold on Montanas. We will definitely get another Monty after this one. My next door neighbor is camping in a brand new Teton Homes, and has many problems with it, which makes me real happy that I can buy 2 1/2 Montanas for the price of his Teton. Hope you get that desk cleared off so you can hit the road in that super rig.
bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Great to hear that there were no major problems on your first trip out. We leave for our first trip Saterday 6-30-07. The montie is in Friday for the 5th Airborne pin box and a recall on the tail light sockets, the day and night shade above the dinning table broke they will fix or replace it. New lug nuts since they sold it to us with them rusty. We leave Grants Pass Or 8 a.m. We follow the Transport that will haul My 1940 deluxe ford coupe. We head for Olympia Washington. Not a very long trip but our first,we will be there just over a year. Again thats good to hear that the monties are such good trailers to pull. Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
TOM F
Established Member

M.O.C. #5959
Thanks to everyone for all your replies. I think the tire issue was my biggest concern, since if one blew the damage would be done before I could do anything about it. I was very diligent about ensuring I started each day with the cold tires at there max PSI and checked there temperature at every stop to ensure one was not hotter than the others. I am looking forward to many more years with this thing.
TOM F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Tom,

We've been fulltiming now for 9 months and have not had a single problem that couldn't be easily fixed by us.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote