Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Outside television

Hi Folks. My 2020 3761FL did not come with a outside tv. Plenty of storage but no door big enough to put a tv in. Anyone have any ideas for mount idea other than just making something to stand alone? Thanks

2020 Montana 3761FL
2020 GMC dually diesel

Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I know they make mounts that go inside the basement storage area where the TV will slide out then you can turn it to view.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For basement wall mounts check the Morryde website they make a large number of different kinds.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I am installing a 40" in the basement as we speak: here is how I am doing this.

First I ordered the moryde articulating Locking Mount even though many reported it's locking mechanism is not very good and in the locked position it still had considerable wobble/movement which might cause wear on the TV and mount with a lot of road travel. The other issue I have with it, is it is way over priced.

I also considered the Moryde Slide out TV mounts however that moves the TV outside the Basement exposing the TV to full glare which would be impossible for daytime viewing and the outdoor elements. so that was a non starter...

So I returned it and developed a better DIY plan.

I ordered a non articulating (rigid) heavy duty TV mount from Amazon that is designed to hold up to 120lbs (My TV only weighs in at 20lbs so I am way under making this way over built). My Samsung 40" is 38"x 23"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I Cut a piece of 3/4" plywood 42"wide x 26"tall Then wrapped the plywood in black felt like material to match the basement walls.

I then bought 3 large gate hinges and attached the plywood to the forward wall of the basement just 6" inside the basement and installed two locking latches on the opposite end to secure it to the wall while driving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Obviously the TV mount and TV is attached to that Plywood. I cut the plywood a little bigger than the TV to allow the latch to be exposed and to attache a small Soundbar below the TV since all the new TV's have terrible audio.

Other notes The TV is positioned so when it is swung out it is still 6" inside the Basement this is to help prevent glare. I also added a Pin that drops down into a hole in the floor and locks the TV into the open position to prevent wind from swinging the TV.

I just put this all together yesterday and will be installing in the next week (weather pending).

This will make for a very rigid and robust mounting system that will store mostly out of the way against the basement wall with no movement and will hold up over the miles of travel.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 AM   #5
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
I would gladly give you mine, I would rather have the space it takes from the dining slide.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Awesome. Post some pictures when complete. Thankyou very much
Old 02-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I will post pics when completed, I assembled everything over the weekend just waiting for the rain to stop and warm up for a day. Since I will have 3 TV's (Living room, Bedroom, Basement) I am also re-wiring the satellite, whereas currently there is only one SAT input in the convenience center which will work with only one Wally, I will have two Wally's one in LR and one for the Bedroom which will also control the Basement TV since our Basement on the 3791RD is right below the Bedroom.

I will connect the Bedroom TV and the Basement TV using a HDMI splitter.

My satellite dish has two outputs that allows me to have two Wally's so we can watch different channels in different rooms (as long as on the same Satellite). So we need two SAT cable inputs in the RV and the KEY system does not provision for that.

Since there is a Cable output already in the basement I will use that input separate from the Bedroom TV.

We will be mostly on cable anyway or streaming, do not plan to use the Satellite much
Old 02-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Will be going with DirecTV HD travler. My basement storage doors are not big enough for tv. I am thinking a mount inside the basement, then hanging the TV at each stop. Still figuring it out
Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
We have owned Class A Motorhomes for the past several years prior to buying our Montana. Our 1st Class A has the Direct tv Traveler mounted on the roof, our last Class A had the Dish Network Satellite on the roof.

I would NEVER install another roof mounted Satellite as we rarely found a Campsite that had Satellite views due to trees or hills (mostly trees though). We ended up buying a second portable Satellite with a 50' RG6 so we could move it around to get satellite views. When the roof top Satellites work they are great but because you are limited where you park for unobstructed satellite views in any given campground roof top satellites are limited.

We live on the west coast and that accounts for much of our travels (western 1/3 of the country) and trees are everywhere, we even found in the Desert areas of the NW the campgrounds were often heavily treed for shade.

For these very reasons we opted not to install a rooftop satellite and stayed with portable.

Also important to know where the satellites are whereas Western Satellites are not directly above they are about 120 degrees Pretty low on the horizon so lot of opportunity for hill and tree obstruction in the summer months at least for our camping locations.

Get the Satellite Pointer app for IOS it tells you where the satellites are specifically.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Speck56 ..??

Have you been camping very long, is this your first camper?

The reason I'm asking is because if you are relatively new to camping and RV's then there's some things you may not have considered.

However, if you are a seasoned camper and RV owner, then you should have already though your way through this, and installing a television mount on the outside of your camper is something you've completely though through and had experience with already. If not, then here's something to think about.

First, if your camper is parked permanently, then you'll not have this issue. But, if you travel and frequent different campgrounds you'll be experiencing a problem if you have a permanent television mount... and that problem is sun glare.

We use a television outside the camper a lot. We enjoy watching television all hours of the day and night, and during the course of the day, we have to constantly move the television and readjust our seating arrangements to keep the sun from bearing down on us, or just plain old glare on the screen, where the television screen acts like a mirror than a television screen.

The point to be made is, if you travel, you'll find yourself in direct sun, or in overcast tree canopy. You may find yourself on a very unlevel campsite where it's impossible to get a level spot, except 20 or 30 feet away from the camper. You might have wonderful shade in the morning and blazing sun in the afternoon, and then nice shade again in the evening. You may have rain or wind.

To put a mount on your camper really limits and restricts your television usage. You may find yourself putting the television on the mount and then 10 minutes later moving it off the mount to a different location to escape sun glare.

I suppose what I'm trying say is, I'm not telling you "don't" get a permanent mount. Your situation may be completely different than ours, and it may work wonderful for you. So, don't let my "downer" response wipe out your idea.

But, if you are relative new to camping an RVing, I DO suggest that you use an outside television as portable as possible until you get a good feel of exactly where it should be mounted on your camper or if it really would be a bad idea because it just would not be practical at all. Only you can make that call.

We travel with 2 ten foot Quick shades and a 100 foot of coax television cable. We have one chair we use to rest the television on and stretch the 100 foot coax from the television outside connection to the TV. And through the day, we are constantly moving things around. Of course, we never camp at the same campsite twice. We may frequent the same State Park, but the campsites are always different, and each one poses new challenges to over come. Sunlight glare on the television is one that we deal with the most frequent.

I just suggest trying using a portable TV stand for a while. Besides, once you drill holes in your camper to install the mount, once you actually use it or not, you'll still have holes. Good luck!

Just think it through before actually doing it! That's all I'm saying.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #11
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I have to somewhat disagree with the post above. First the OP plans to use Satellite which will limit the length of RG6 coax that can be used, 100' is a non starter. I have a 50' and a 75' and have never been able to get a reasonable picture from the 75' whereas 50' is OK and 25'much better.

We have also yet to find a RV park with great cable as the bandwith loads of RV park cable systems is usually stretched to the limits also making long runs problematic.

If you do a mount on the side of the RV if you are under the awning that will help manage the glare for the most part, but there are also TV's available with a low glare screen and high NIT (brightness) rating that will help over come glare.

That is not to say the portable option mentioned above is a bad option it is viable assuming you over come cable/Satellite signal loss with long runs.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Thanks to both. We gave done this before, but my mounting would be in the basement not on the outside. My theory about glare is, I'll go inside and kick back
Old 02-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #13
EJacob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25812
Hi what I did is took a small TV and mounted it upside down
On my out side storage door with a longer cable. So when you lift your storage door up the TV is outside. Works for us. Make sure you have a extra door hatch to hold the door up for safety.��
EJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #14
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Great idea. Thanks
Old 02-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJacob View Post
Hi what I did is took a small TV and mounted it upside down
On my out side storage door with a longer cable. So when you lift your storage door up the TV is outside. Works for us. Make sure you have a extra door hatch to hold the door up for safety.��
I considered that however the TV would have to be very small TV, but even then the main issue with the doors they are not structurally designed to mount a TV bracket to there is nothing to really screw to as i was told the doors are just a foam core and damaging the Basement door would be very expensive to replace especially since we have full body paint.

Plus the basement door on the 3791RD when in the open position would put the TV at about the 6' eye level which would make viewing sitting down like sitting in the front row at the theater .

Not saying it does not work for you but that was our challenge and thought process.